Richmond Area, Anyone?
(12-05-2010, 12:11 AM)MedicMeyers Wrote: I was a student at VT as well, but lived in Blacksburg and later Christiansburg. Roanoke is a nice town, we drove there every once in a while to do some shopping (BBurg didn't have as much as it does it now, even though it was only a few years ago) and ice skating.
Nice. Do you have any advice for a younger, recently converted Catholic who is in Blacksburg, or were you not a Catholic the entire time you were in Blacksburg?

Also, I've never heard of anyone being drawn to Roanoke because of the Ice Station before.
Well, my advice would be don't do what I did. I let the ridiculousness beat me down and became discouraged to the point of falling away for a few years. If you are traditionally minded at all, do not attend the campus "mass", it's a joke. From what I have heard the local parish has improved, but I still wouldn't get my hopes up too high. Your best bet might be to try to find a conservative parish in Roanoke, unfortunately I don't have any suggestions as to which ones might be better than others. I know that St. Andrew's at least has a nice building and sometimes it can be helpful to read your missal and lose yourself in the architecture.

I would also suggest trying to find other students or friends to go with you so that you can encourage each other as necessary. In any case, just keep the faith and don't lose hope.

As far as the ice station, I played hockey in high school and ice skating is a great date. Especially if she doesn't skate very well, she pretty much has to hold on to you  ;D
Philosafari and Medic:

Do either of y'all ever make it toward the ocean?  There's a great FSSP chapel in this neck of the woods!  :)
I have family in Newport News and Norfolk, if I'm ever out there for more than a few hours I intend to check out St. Benedict's Chapel. I assume that's the one you're referring to. I know it's a part of the diocese but staffed by FSSP, we even had one of them cover our parish while ours were on retreat.
(12-21-2010, 06:27 PM)MedicMeyers Wrote: I have family in Newport News and Norfolk, if I'm ever out there for more than a few hours I intend to check out St. Benedict's Chapel. I assume that's the one you're referring to. I know it's a part of the diocese but staffed by FSSP, we even had one of them cover our parish while ours were on retreat.

Yeah!  Father Nichols and Father Byrne are both awesome.  :)
Fr. Nichols is who we had. He seemed like a good guy.
(12-21-2010, 06:19 PM)3Sanctus Wrote: Philosafari and Medic:

Do either of y'all ever make it toward the ocean?  There's a great FSSP chapel in this neck of the woods!   :)
I haven't, but I'm trying to make an excuse to go out that way. I've heard great things about Fr. Nichols.
(12-21-2010, 08:03 PM)philosafari Wrote:
(12-21-2010, 06:19 PM)3Sanctus Wrote: Philosafari and Medic:

Do either of y'all ever make it toward the ocean?  There's a great FSSP chapel in this neck of the woods!   :)
I haven't, but I'm trying to make an excuse to go out that way. I've heard great things about Fr. Nichols.

He is an awesome priest.  :)

If y'all ever make it out this way we'll have to have a fishy meet-up.  :)