Kansas City, REPRESENT!
Hello KC!

If you're a suburbanite like this workin' boy, we're getting together a "TLM Support Group" to bring the TLM to the round spaceship churches of Johnson County.  I don't have the website finished yet (and don't know when I'll get back to it), but we're working on http://www.GregoryTheGreat.org.

Who's in for a meetup?  The ICRSS of Old St. Patrick's is my TLM parish of choice (aren't we blessed with an ICRSS, FSSP, SSPX and one parish priest TLM in our lovely town?).  9:15 Mass lets out just in time for an early lunch, let me know who is in.

And people wishing to take a pilgrimage to our lovely town, you come on in and you can sit next to me at Mass.  Let me know.
I think that October 25 will be THE DAY to be a Traditional Catholic in Kansas City.  That's the day that the oldest church in KC will be rededicated to the Mass that built it back in 1875.  Old St. Patrick's Oratory is the home of the ICRSS in Kansas City.

gjwalberg Wrote:I think that October 25 will be THE DAY to be a Traditional Catholic in Kansas City.  That's the day that the oldest church in KC will be rededicated to the Mass that built it back in 1875.  Old St. Patrick's Oratory is the home of the ICRSS in Kansas City.
 Wish I could be there. I've never been inside the Oratory, but have driven by it or ridden the bus by it literally hundreds of times! Say hello to His Excellency the Pastor for me, eh?
I heard there weren't nobody but chumps up in KC!

St. Louis 4 Life!

Just kidding. I moved to St. Louis 8 months ago. I just thought it'd be funny.

LOL! Actually, that goes deeper than you think in some ways; KC has long been St. Louis' worst rival in the SSPX soccer tournaments! :)
gjwalberg Wrote:Hello KC!

If you're a suburbanite like this workin' boy, we're getting together a "TLM Support Group" to bring the TLM to the round spaceship churches of Johnson County. I don't have the website finished yet (and don't know when I'll get back to it), but we're working on http://www.GregoryTheGreat.org.

Who's in for a meetup? The ICRSS of Old St. Patrick's is my TLM parish of choice (aren't we blessed with an ICRSS, FSSP, SSPX and one parish priest TLM in our lovely town?). 9:15 Mass lets out just in time for an early lunch, let me know who is in.

And people wishing to take a pilgrimage to our lovely town, you come on in and you can sit next to me at Mass. Let me know.

Any news on having a TLM in Johnson County?
timjp77 Wrote:Any news on having a TLM in Johnson County?
We found one pastor who agreed to host the TLM in his parish but wanted us to get permission from the Archbishop before he went anywhere.  The Archbishop sent us a very polite and direct letter saying that while he would not discourage any priest from offering the TLM, the Archdiocese would not encourage it.  The Archbishop had concerns that capable priests were already stretched too thin (agreed!), that there were too few church buildings suitable for the TLM in Johnson County (agreed-- but we solved that problem before this communication began) and that there were no able-bodied altar boys (a problem easily fixed). 

The Archbishop also expressed concerns that a JoCo TLM would negatively affect the St. Philippine Duchesne community at Blessed Sacrament Church in KCK.  I can understand his concern, but do not share it-- if it would seriously damage TLM Churchgoers in KCK, that would mean that there's a lot of Johnson Countians driving all the way to the slums.  Why not put a Mass by them?  Furthermore: our goal is to increase the access to the TLM in Kansas City, we can't let one congregation be the reason we don't have another.

Good Archbishop Naumann is a confusing fellow.  He is not hostile to tradition, but certainly doesn't go out of his way to promote it, either.  I think he just doesn't care and doesn't want to deal with it.  I can't say he's an enemy, but I cannot call him an ally either.

The Archbishop did note in his letter that any priest was capable of offering the TLM on his own.  I think that he gave us "backdoor permission" that way... but a couple of the Archdiocesean priests who were going to work with us have gotten kind of squishy on the plan.  I think they're getting flack from all sides.

So no resolution yet.  Please pray.  Have you gone to the website (http://www.GregoryTheGreat.org) and signed up yet?  We think that if we get a decently sized, stable group, we'll be in a better position to ask again.  There is some other talk about trying to find a central, safe Novus Ordo to gather in so that we further lend ourselves to "stability."  But that's just kind of talking at this point.
WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:So no resolution yet. Please pray. Have you gone to the website (http://www.GregoryTheGreat.org) and signed up yet? We think that if we get a decently sized, stable group, we'll be in a better position to ask again. There is some other talk about trying to find a central, safe Novus Ordo to gather in so that we further lend ourselves to "stability." But that's just kind of talking at this point.

I signed up on the website a while back but haven't seen any activity on it since August, that's why I was wondering if anything new has happened. Fr Jack Donovan used to say a TLM at the Overland Park Community center on Lamar until the city closed the center. I'm not sure what he's doing now. Have you talked to him?
timjp77 Wrote:
WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:So no resolution yet. Please pray. Have you gone to the website (http://www.GregoryTheGreat.org) and signed up yet? We think that if we get a decently sized, stable group, we'll be in a better position to ask again. There is some other talk about trying to find a central, safe Novus Ordo to gather in so that we further lend ourselves to "stability." But that's just kind of talking at this point.

I signed up on the website a while back but haven't seen any activity on it since August, that's why I was wondering if anything new has happened. Fr Jack Donovan used to say a TLM at the Overland Park Community center on Lamar until the city closed the center. I'm not sure what he's doing now. Have you talked to him?

The site has kind of stayed slow for a while (as has my personal site) because I'm dumping my extra time into school work.  That should change here soon.  I'm glad you submitted your contact information, the President of the group is compiling all the people who express their interest.  Keep praying.

I don't know Fr. Donovan, but I'll look into it.  How long ago was this?  Thanks for the tip.