Why don't men wear hats anymore?
Why don't men wear hats anymore?  I'm talking about the fedora hats with brims that people used to wear in the 30's, 40's, and 50's.  When did wearing hats go out of style?  Today most people wear those terrible baseball caps that offend the eyes with the crudity and bad taste.  Are there any places left in the world were men still wear these type of hats (or dress up for that matter?

Will hats (and suits) ever come back?

Bob

I hope not. This sort of 50s nostalgia really must end. Clothing should be practical. The medievals knew it. Suits are affected and a sign of a culture with too much time on its hands to care about silly things like the etiquette of dress, which is a cheap secular imitation of modesty.
... since when have suits left the scene?

And no, C777, I profoundly disagree. Besides it being most certainly not a product of the '50s, striving to wear dignified dress is not some trivial nostalgic venture, nor was it ever a product of people with too much time on their hands. I know it may seem insignificant, but I firmly believe that the abandoning of formal, dignified attire for both men and women is partly responsible for the outbreak of immorality that has blossomed in the most recent decades.

I pray that this does indeed come to a revival.

God bless,
JRS

Robb Wrote:Why don't men wear hats anymore?  I'm talking about the fedora hats with brims that people used to wear in the 30's, 40's, and 50's.  When did wearing hats go out of style?  Today most people wear those terrible baseball caps that offend the eyes with the crudity and bad taste.  Are there any places left in the world were men still wear these type of hats (or dress up for that matter?

Will hats (and suits) ever come back?

Bob

I hope so good taste never goes outta style. Case in point Humphrey Bogart Gary Cooper or Snoop Dogg.

P.S. I wear a fedora from time to time. I also like the Brideshead Revisited Oxford College style.
When I'm old enough to pull it off, I'll take up the trench coat, suit, and fedora look.

[Image: PH2006010600399.jpg]

Hats were a sign of the divine order of things.  Society has quickly  decided since they were abandoned.  Is not the priest biretta a hat which is worn to signify his teaching authority?  Is not the miter a bishop wears a hat which signifies his authority?  Is not the tiara a hat which the Pope wears to signify his three fold power?

Please God bring back hats.

Bob
Quote:Hats were a sign of the divine order of things.

Or a big phallic manifestation...

Besides. It is WOMEN who are to cover their heads before God. Not men.
[Image: mainxs2.gif]
Catholic777 Wrote:Besides. It is WOMEN who are to cover their heads before God. Not men.

While praying or while present inside a Church, yes. You're being facetious ... this pertains to absolutely nothing to wearing hats within a non-religious context.

God bless,
JRS

Catholic777 Wrote:I hope not. This sort of 50s nostalgia really must end. Clothing should be practical. The medievals knew it. Suits are affected and a sign of a culture with too much time on its hands to care about silly things like the etiquette of dress, which is a cheap secular imitation of modesty.

Man, you really have no notion of civilisation. Poor man...