Why don't men wear hats anymore?
Archbishop_10K Wrote:I've also wanted to get a sideways bicorne like Napoleon Bonaparte's, but I haven't found any stores who sell that style anymore.

You could always join up with the Italian police:

[Image: rome4.jpg]
wolseley Wrote:
Archbishop_10K Wrote:I've also wanted to get a sideways bicorne like Napoleon Bonaparte's, but I haven't found any stores who sell that style anymore.

You could always join up with the Italian police:

[Image: rome4.jpg]

If I were an Italian, I honestly would. Just for the uniform.

You remind me of the time I tried to join the 3rd Infantry Regiment, aka the Old Guard in Washington, D.C. They have a ceremonial unit called the Fife and Drum Corps, where you not only get to wear a tricorne, but also a powdered wig. However, you have to be a certain height (5' 11") to join, and I came up short.

[Image: _44574493_fifedrum_getty446b.jpg]
That's what I'm talking about!!!![Image: sm27.jpg]
incrucetrad Wrote:I was born in 1942, and I remember my father wearing a Stetson hat every time he wore a suit, which was every day except Saturday. Of course he removed it to go into Church, and tipped it when he passed a Church out of reverence for the Blessed Sacrament.  He commuted from Oakland to San Francisco to work everyday, and was Day Foreman of the composing room of the San Francisco Examiner for four decades plus. Many a time he'd come home from work glad he'd had the hat on because of the pigeons droppings he got on it while waiting for a bus at the bus terminal in SF.  Hats come in handy sometimes. My father was a good Catholic man, involved in Catholic action at the parish level throughout his life. He died a good Catholic. May his soul rest in peace. BTW he was born in 1906 and died in 1980.----------------------------------AND BTW, I remember also, my mother and I wore hats and gloves and our Sunday best when we went to visit "the city" (SF). Oakland was considered lower than SF.

Wow!  You probably have memories of SF (and CA) before the loons came in?  The old days were certainly better then the garbage society we have fostered on us today.  Your lucky to have memories of a pre-liberal world. 

I also see your father worked for a Hearst paper?  William Randolph Hearst would be rolling in his grave if he knew what kind of garbage they print in the Examiner  today.  He was a true defender of the common man.

Bob
I've got a Tilby(kind of the English fedora) and a Panama both of which get used occasionally. And a suit is almoust daily attire.

Frankly, I have several hats that I love, but don't wear them as often as I would like.

I was never taught all of the "rules" and I'm very self-conscious about treading upon someone's Emily Post.
DarkKnight Wrote:Frankly, I have several hats that I love, but don't wear them as often as I would like.

I was never taught all of the "rules" and I'm very self-conscious about treading upon someone's Emily Post.
Make your own rules, DK [Image: wink.gif]
ResiduumRevertetur Wrote:
DarkKnight Wrote:Frankly, I have several hats that I love, but don't wear them as often as I would like.

Make your own rules, DK [Image: wink.gif]

Now your sounding like one of them there Modernist/Relativist/Masonic infiltrators of the board.

My old daddy, God rest his soul, always used to tell visitors to our house, "Here's the rules: everybody is allowed to have both elbows, and one knee, on the table---but don't try anything funny."  He'd often eat with his hat on, and if anybody mentioned it, he'd say, "I ain't eatin' with Emily Post."

Keep in mind that he was an automobile mechanic, and we lived in the back end of the garage (we was just poor white folk), and usually he was eating lunch (or as we called it, dinner) between jobs.  After he ate, he'd sack out in his easy chair and snooze for an hour or so until somebody ran over the bell out front for gas, and he'd rouse himself up and drag himself back to work again. 
Traditio Wrote:When I'm old enough to pull it off, I'll take up the trench coat, suit, and fedora look.

[Image: PH2006010600399.jpg]
How about this hat!![Image: ac-frank7.jpeg]