Why don't men wear hats anymore?
Quote:While praying or while present inside a Church, yes. You're being facetious ... this pertains to absolutely nothing to wearing hats within a non-religious context.

Limiting things to "in church" is reductionist and minimalist. The man is the head and woman is the body, symbolically. Therefore, a woman should cover her own head, to defer to man, but he need not cover his own. It's a symbol of Christ and His Church. If we limit it to only when we're "in Church"...we lose a holistic understanding and iconography of the human person, and risk compartmentalizing religion out of our lives.

In the middle ages, women pretty much had their head covered all the time and men did not.

Men indeed sometimes wore hats, but the context was different. Usually, they'd where it only with another practical purpose purpose (a helmet, a straw hat to keep out the sun in the fields, etc). Or when the individual man was being symbolically subsumed by some greater entity, ie, a crown when the King embodied the State, a galero when a Cardinal was made a prince of the Church, a biretta which originally conferred an academic degree in University. The symbolic context of the monastic cowl, formerly given only at final profession, is therefore different.

The image of Robin Hood with his little feathered cap...is probably inaccurate, and an imposition of emasculating Renaissance decadence on our perception of an earlier age. Covering (or removing) the hair on the head was a sign of humiliation for men (either the good kind, meaning humbling oneself before a greater principle, or the bad kind). Which is why Jews were required to wear hats and why slaves were shaved bald (and, by extension, monks humbled themselves by taking the tonsure). This is also why to reject the papal tiara as a sign of vain personal glorification...is wrong, as a coronation actually symbolically humiliates the man and makes him as an individual fade before the greater entity, covering his own head, the seat of his own reason, with the identity of something greater.

Hats as worn in the 1800's and 1950's for which people seem to have a nostalgia are just the opposite. They are a dandy-fication worn bombastically and, as Freud pointed out, phallically...representing a deep crisis of masculine confidence within a culture. Except ecclesiastically, they were not worn to symbolize a man's submission to a greater entity, or if they were...that entity was Money or Worldy Influence. And even ecclesiastically...the tendency towards taller and gaudier mitres (as opposed to a humble, tasteful mitre ala St. Thomas Becket) betray the same attitudes creeping below the surface in the Church, as did other developments such as the wide, flat galero that developed which so deviates from the more practically wearable standard that St. Jerome is always pictured in.

Furthermore, while we're on the subject of minimalism...I'd encourage all traditional women to go out and get a real veil (at least for Mass, though I've already said why I dont like that sort of compartmentalization) instead of just the reductionist "chapel veils" and "mantillas" you so often see...which are, again, a product of a decadent Renaissance attempt to see how much people could "get away with" while remaining technically within the rules (think of Mona Lisa's sheer gauze "veil"...it makes a trivialized mockery of the concept "veil")...I went to a Syro-Malankara Church and was very impressed at how all the woman wore thick full veil's with their saris...not just some little "technical" square of the thinnest lace.

As for suits...if something is not the everyday clothes of a people, if the practical purpose has been forgotten and it is being maintained out of some socially constructed notion of "formal vs informal"...then these clothes should pass out of use. We arent still wearing our best togas to Mass on Sundays. In the middle ages, people didnt have an "special" clothes for Mass. It wasnt Sunday Dress Up play like it so often seems for some now. Ones "Sunday Best" was the cleanest, most well-kept clothes one had...but they were the same basic type of clothing worn everyday.

Today, I would imagine that, for men, a solid colored polo with some khakis could become the standard and that would be just fine. Let us leave the unnecessary complexity and contrived uncomfortable affectedness of the "suit" behind us.
Beetledave Wrote:That's what I'm talking about!!!![Image: sm27.jpg]

[Image: thumb.gif]
Baskerville Wrote:
Beetledave Wrote:That's what I'm talking about!!!![Image: sm27.jpg]

[Image: thumb.gif]

No offense to the Holy Father, but I hate that hat!!!!!!
Beetledave Wrote:How about this hat!![Image: ac-frank7.jpeg]

No different than this one:

[Image: maytag.jpg]
SickBoy Wrote:Hahaha!!!  Gangs of New York was awesome!  Can I be The Butcher?
Even though he was supposed to be the bad guy and Irish-Catholic hater in the movie, I thought his character was much more respectable than DiCaprio's "Amsterdam". I guess it has a lot to do with a great actor like Daniel day Lewis as well. Those were rough times back then at the " 5 Points" in NYC, I think I would have fit in more with the "Natives" than with the "dead-rabbits".
The "Butcher" was the man. (In a hat of course)

[Image: billthebitcher.jpg]

I sometimes wear a newsboy cap when it's raining out.  Easier than carrying around an umbrella in the city streets. 
Catholic777, your analysis of the hat situation is way over the top.  And patronizing.  Oh, but Freud says that they represent a deep crisis of masculine confidence.  I'll bet Freud didn't look good in a hat.
It goes deeper than Freud. Societies do not generally have men covering their heads except in certain ceremonial contexts...but do generally have women. It's anthropological. At least in the Eastern Hemisphere. That is has fallen apart, is deeply troubling.
Catholic777 Wrote:That is has fallen apart, is deeply troubling.

If this discussion took place 1000 years from now I'll bet you'd be the first person bemoaning the fact that western men didn't wear hats.
And I'm laughing out loud now because I'm picturing you not being able to sleep because men covering their heads is deeply troubling.

You're the first person I've ever met that has really grieved history.

I mean, if there really was a shift in the hat paradigm 150 years ago can we really begrudge people today if they want to wear a hat?