Kentucky Roll Call
do your soul a favour and go!

Sunday Traditional Masses in Louisville:

Our Lady of the Pillar on 5th st just a few blocks south of Churchill Downs has Sunday Mass at 9am. Google them and see bulletin for weekday Mass.5th st runs parallel with Southern Pkwy, just a block west. 4049 S Fifth St. Bookstore open after mass.

St Martin of Tours at Shelby St and E Broadway, 12:30pm Sunday. Tuesday and Thursday 7am. Can't miss the steeple. Bookstore behind church on Gray St open after mass 1st Sunday of the month as well as weekdays.

St. Benedict 1240 Matha Ave. 3pm Sunday.  Google them and see bulletin for weekday Mass. Matha looks like an alley, but has a street sign, and is directly off Taylor blvd, between Bicknel and Woodlawn. It's south of I-264 a few blocks. Bookstore open after Mass.

I went to St. Benedict's today and felt very uncomfortable. I thought the service was beautiful but I felt like I wasn't welcome. This one lady kept giving me an 'eat *stuff*' look for no reason. I'm going to try St. Martin's next weekend. I think it's better in terms of proximity anyway.
uh emm umm. i'm not from your parts but an eat stuff look? Never herd that lingo before. Also it's oddly fitting for the holy sacrifice wouldn't you say?. If your in a state of grace that is. I wouldn't be concerned about a women giving you an eat stuff look at mass. But again if you look and dress anything like your name sake then she was kind.

Kentucky boy here!!  I live in the Lexington area.
TheDude Wrote:I went to St. Benedict's today and felt very uncomfortable. I thought the service was beautiful but I felt like I wasn't welcome. This one lady kept giving me an 'eat *stuff*' look for no reason. I'm going to try St. Martin's next weekend. I think it's better in terms of proximity anyway.
Yes, I've heard the people at St. Benedict's are creepy...quite unlike St. Pius X in Cincinnati (SSPX).  The people there are "normal" and friendly.  Our Lady of the Pillar Chapel is supposed to be a good place, too.
AnimaChristi Wrote:
TheDude Wrote:I went to St. Benedict's today and felt very uncomfortable. I thought the service was beautiful but I felt like I wasn't welcome. This one lady kept giving me an 'eat *stuff*' look for no reason. I'm going to try St. Martin's next weekend. I think it's better in terms of proximity anyway.
Yes, I've heard the people at St. Benedict's are creepy...quite unlike St. Pius X in Cincinnati (SSPX).  The people there are "normal" and friendly.  Our Lady of the Pillar Chapel is supposed to be a good place, too.

I go to St. Pius X in Cincinnati. I hope we are all normal and friendly. St. Benedict's is small and I think the 3pm Sunday Mass time puts it at a disadvantage.

I like the people at Our Lady of the Pillar, but it is a feeneyite group. I will say they know how to party hard.
I found the folks at St Benedict quite welcoming.

Every parish I've ever visited has folks who are social and easy going, as well as those who are not. It's not a SSPX vs NO vs Independent thing.

Folks should give new faces the benefit of the doubt. That new guy getting the cold stares might be seeking refuge from his liberal parish. Folks have a right to know who has come into their mist of course, but Charity is a Virtue.

You'll find good Catholics at both Our Lady of the Pillar and St Benedict.
I went to mass at Our Lady of the Pillar this past summer. I came in a few minutes late, as I forgot about the time zone change, and the place was packed, but there was a really hospitable old man ushering who found me a seat--a new experience for me. I never felt uncomfortable. The first thing that struck me was the sheer quantity of young people (later realized they have a school) and EVERYBODY in suits. The church is beautiful and they have a wonderful choir. I went to confession with Fr. Bitzer. It was a really good confession, Fr. Bitzer is a good priest. Outside of his office, he seems like the kind of guy you can sit down and have a beer with and talk to.
AnimaChristi, What is up at Saint Peter's. When I lived in Lexington, St. Peter parish often had bongo drums and large puppet figures, liturgical dancing. I just heard it is now a Trad parish. Can you give any insight?