Alabama fines "fat" workers
ErinIsNotNice Wrote:
HappyWife Wrote:If we put as much money into abstinence talks at schools, we would be better off.

[Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif]

Yeah, that would really work.

well I guess I don't have a solution for rampant promiscuity. I do know it is not fair to tax people for welfare though.
The Nanny State strikes again.

Mrs. Doubtfire with a swastika and a truncheon.
ErinIsNotNice Wrote:
HappyWife Wrote:If we put as much money into abstinence talks at schools, we would be better off.

[Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif]

Yeah, that would really work.
Why do you mock a statement like that? She's absolutely right, God forbid they teach any kind of abstinence and sexual morality in public schools these days. You got any better ideas Erin than teaching kids how to put a condom on a cucumber?
I see in mocking someone who really seems to be a "happy wife" and have some conservative traditional values, one smiley-face wasn't enough, you really got to pour it on, real nice.
alaric Wrote:Why do you mock a statement like that? She's absolutely right, God forbid they teach any kind of abstinence and sexual morality in public schools these days. You got any better ideas Erin than teaching kids how to put a condom on a cucumber?

Having someone get up in front of a bunch of teenagers who not only are dealing with hormones but have also been exposed to sex their entire lives, and tell them "don't do it" is not going to do a damn thing about teenagers having sex.

I am not saying what they're doing right now works either though.
ErinIsNotNice Wrote:
alaric Wrote:Why do you mock a statement like that? She's absolutely right, God forbid they teach any kind of abstinence and sexual morality in public schools these days. You got any better ideas Erin than teaching kids how to put a condom on a cucumber?

Having someone get up in front of a bunch of teenagers who not only are dealing with hormones but have also been exposed to sex their entire lives, and tell them "don't do it" is not going to do a damn thing about teenagers having sex.

I am not saying what they're doing right now works either though.
Not gonna do a damn thing huh? how defeatist of you, so with that logic we should stop telling them not to get drunk or stoned as well, because what the hell, they 've been exposed to it their entire lives.
Teenagers can take in a positive message as well as negative examples and are capable of making the right choices, you should give our kids more credit than that.

Actually, I went through public school all 12 years and got abstinence-only sex ed the entire time. But I have to agree with what Erin said:

ErinIsNotNice Wrote:Having someone get up in front of a bunch of teenagers who not only are dealing with hormones but have also been exposed to sex their entire lives, and tell them "don't do it" is not going to do a damn thing about teenagers having sex.

When I was school, sex ed existed for no other reason than to make fun of it.
If even the kids who were raised traditional Catholic many times still end up having sex, then no, I don't have a lot of hope for non-Catholic kids.

Because outside of religion, there aren't very many convincing reasons not to.

Archbishop_10K Wrote:

Actually, I went through public school all 12 years and got abstinence-only sex ed the entire time. But I have to agree with what Erin said:

ErinIsNotNice Wrote:Having someone get up in front of a bunch of teenagers who not only are dealing with hormones but have also been exposed to sex their entire lives, and tell them "don't do it" is not going to do a damn thing about teenagers having sex.

When I was school, sex ed existed for no other reason than to make fun of it.
More defeatism, i would expect better from you Archie.
I don't know why the subject of welfare even came up. The article begins: Obese workers in Alabama ................... So they're not sitting at home collecting a welfare check. They're working and paying taxes, too. I agree with those who wonder who will be the next in line for a penalty from the government or insurance companies. Health care in the U.S. might be a benefit and not a right, but what kind of "shape" will the country be in if we can no longer afford it? - Lisa
PaxVobiscum Wrote:Jonathan Swift wrote an essay back during the Potato Famine in Ireland, suggesting that it would be good to give the benighted Irish tips on how to prepare and eat their excess children. 

Those "mackerel snappers" have way too many kids, you know.  Bunch of papists.

Quite a few people thought Swift had an excellent idea, not realizing it was a parody.
 POI from an amateur historian-- Jonathan Swift died in 1745. The Potato Famine was in the late 1840's. However, your point is well taken.