Urgent! Snickerdoodle Emergency!
Well, not an emergency, exactly.  But I could use a suggestion for a Snickerdoodle cookie recipe that does not make all hard and nasty cookies.  And I could use it sooner than later.  Thank you in advance.
Ah, snickerdoodles. My favorite childhood cookie and the first cookie I ever made.

Here's the recipe that I grew up with:

1 cup shortening
1-1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2-3/4 cups flour
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
sugar & cinnamon (mixed for rolling)

Cream shortening, sugar and eggs. Add in flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt.

Roll dough into balls; roll balls in sugar & cinnamon mix.

Bake at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes on ungreased cookie sheet.
This is my grandmother's recipe and these are guaranteed to come out nice and chewy, and will stay that way as long as they are around if you keep them in an airtight container.

1 Cup margarine
1 1/2 Cups sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cream of tartar

Cream together in the order listed above. Mix in 2 2/3 cups of flour. Roll into small balls and then roll in cinnamon sugar. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. (At Christmas try adding cinnamon to the dough then rolling these in colored sugar before baking.)

Great!  Thanks!
Ahhh... the snickerdoodle.  I have found that this is the preferred cookie of the Traditionalist Catholic.  We know how to eat.
Walty Wrote:Ahhh... the snickerdoodle.  I have found that this is the preferred cookie of the Traditionalist Catholic.  We know how to eat.

Never had one. 
mmmmmmmm
snickerdoodles

[Image: 156868661_81be422b9d.jpg]
I never bake the cookies for as long as they say.

If it says 8 minutes, I check them after 3 minutes. As long as they hold their shape off the pan... mmmmmmmm
For chocolate chip cookies, I'm inclined to agree.  Gooey is better!  Peanut Butter cookies are somewhat the same way.  But things like sugar cookies and snickerdoodles need the time to "set", they're cookies that need a little structure.
Orrrr.... if you live where Blue Bell is sold, you could go pick up a half-gallon of their latest ice cream creation called Snickedoodle. It's cinnamon ice cream with chunks of snickerdoodle cookies and a praline-cinnamon swirl. [Image: gimmefood.gif]