Girls named Mary after Vatican 2
Robb Wrote:
StrictCatholicGirl Wrote:
Robb Wrote:Today's girls are given such silly and meaningless titles as Brooke, Dakota, ERIN, Brittany, Tiffiny and countless other trendy secularism's. 

Um... that's NOT NICE, Robb.

Erin is a modern, trendy name for girls (or, at least, it was among girls in my age bracket).  The lady on this list by that name is, by far, not the only women in the world who has the distinction of bearing that title.  I apologize for any similarities that she or someone else might infuse from my use of it.

Bob

Is Erin trendy? [Image: laff.gif]

The only time I was ever around a bunch of Erins was in Irish dance class!  I rarely went to school with any, and there aren't any in either one of my boy's classes.

I'm Erin Marie, by the way, so I don't have a heathen name [Image: laff.gif]
Robb Wrote:It's not just Mary.  What about the other traditionally Catholic girls name that were common before the council such as Teresa, Bernadette, Ann Marie, and Lucy.  There are many women of my parents generation with these names but few, if any, of mine.  Today's girls are given such silly and meaningless titles as Brooke, Dakota, Erin, Brittany, Tiffiny and countless other trendy secularism's. 

Give me the good old days where children were named after either family members (such as grandparents, uncles, aunts) or saints.  These trendy, modern abominations have got to stop.

Bob
I have a Theresa. But this is something I don't understand...why should name creation just stop. I mean there wasn't a St Badulfus until St Badulfus was named and then canonized. Would it have been better for him to be Peter? I agree, though, that you should consider more for your chiild's name than your favorite TV show.
ResiduumRevertetur Wrote: But this is something I don't understand...why should name creation just stop. I mean there wasn't a St Badulfus until St Badulfus was named and then canonized.

Exactly. Traditions don't start until we start them. There's a first time for everything.

- Lisa
ResiduumRevertetur Wrote: But this is something I don't understand...why should name creation just stop. I mean there wasn't a St Badulfus until St Badulfus was named and then canonized.

You'll notice that Badulfus didn't exactly catch on.  I bet there werent a lot of Badulfuses (Badulfui?) in his elementary school class.
gjwalberg Wrote:

You'll notice that Badulfus didn't exactly catch on.  I bet there werent a lot of Badulfuses (Badulfui?) in his elementary school class.
How do you know? There could be a whole island of them out there somewhere, and they could be arguing, right now!, how naming their children Theresa and Thomas are strangling the life out of their culture. You don't know. [Image: smile.gif]
gjwalberg Wrote:

Forty years ago, a while before I became a Catholic, I began cointributing to the Society of the Divine Word missionary Order by 'buying pagan babies'. Does anyone else remember that? You would send a stipend for a baptism in the missions, get to pick the baptismal name and be sponsor by proxy to the new Christian. Thinking it was a gentle scam to get money for a good cause, I picked some doozies! I don't remember them all but Cunegunda was one girl's name I chose. Years later, after becoming a Catholic, I was honoured by having one of the SVD mission priests coming to stay with us for a week during a fund raising trip in the States. We were talking about 'buying pagan babies' and I indicated that surely they didn't really use the names we picked. Father chuckled and said, 'Oh no, we really used them!' I'm sure there are dozens of now middle aged Catholics in India and Africa thinking, 'Boy, if I ever get my hands on my godfather...!'  
jovan66102 Wrote:I don't remember them all but Cunegunda was one girl's name I chose.
Ahh!  Fair Cunégonde!

It takes a lot of nerve to baptize a child in the name of a character from a book banned in the Index Librorum Prohibitorum.
gjwalberg Wrote:
jovan66102 Wrote:I don't remember them all but Cunegunda was one girl's name I chose.
Ahh!  Fair Cunégonde!

It takes a lot of nerve to baptize a child in the name of a character from a book banned in the Index Librorum Prohibitorum.
 She was a Beata long before that atheist Freemason appropriated her name!