Is it time to panic?
We like St. Thomas Aquinas out of Modesto, CA. Every year the kids do a battery of diagnostics and every Fall (or sometimes in the Summer) they get an adjusted course of study.
Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. 

It's hard not to feel unprepared when the curriculum providers all have difference courses and different requirements to graduate their programs. 

I would have just continued on with what we were doing, but I began to feel insecure about our son being judged and being prepared for college or whatever he ends up doing.

He's wanted to go into the Marines since he was 12 years old.  We've waited for him to outgrow this, but so far, he has not.  He wanted to go in at 18.  But everyone we've talked to or who's heard his plans has told us to make sure he's a college graduate before he goes in. 

My H thought it would be a good idea to have an objective third party (ie., homeschool program/curriculum) at this point to provide our son with some feedback and direction. 

I just don't see at this point, our son being in 11th grade, a packaged curriculum is going to work.

I think I like the idea of continuing on our own, and then seeing about getting him enrolled in the local community college in the summer or next fall.  I'm also going to check out some of the recommendations given here.....for the "narhs" school, the classzone, etc. 

I'm not sure I will put our daughter in a packaged curriculum if we don't with our son...she hates math (thanks Saxon), and it may be better for her to have an individualized program as well. 

It's so easy to get trapped in the whole "do they measure up" mentality....I know they're smart and capable...but talk to an administrator for a homeschool program, and you suddenly start doubting everything you believed!

God Bless,
Lisa
If you're turned off by the rigidity of planned curricula, you might look into "unschooling."  Many parents start out trying to replicate the school environment in the home, with desks and textbooks and class times, but after a while they move beyond that to a more organic, self-directed way of learning, especially for older kids.  (Here's a very good article by someone who went through that process.)

I don't have kids, so I haven't been there yet myself, but I know home/unschooling would have been good for me growing up.  I wasn't interested in history or civics when I was in school, so I sat through hundreds of hours of those classes without learning a single thing, while I absorbed math, science, and Latin like a sponge.  At about age 20 I got interested in government and politics, and quickly caught up on all the history stuff I'd refused to learn in school.  (As a bonus, I learned it without the biases.)  I could have been spending more time on math when I was 13-17, instead of sleeping through classes I wasn't learning in.

It's a little scary to think of turning a kid loose like that, and they'll probably still need direction from time to time, but my grandparents were out of school, working at jobs, and starting families by ages 16-20, so there's no reason well-brought-up kids that age today can't make some mature choices too.

Since you mentioned PE:  Around here, there are enough homeschoolers that they've been able to form some sports teams that play against the schools and in summer leagues.  There might be something like that in your area, if you're wanting them to get more exercise and play time with other kids.

My dad enlisted with the Marines at age 18 and went to Vietnam, and I think he turned out pretty well.  He couldn't be an officer without college, though, so that might be a good reason for your son to get a degree first, if he's thinking of it as a career.

Mhoram Wrote:My dad enlisted with the Marines at age 18 and went to Vietnam, and I think he turned out pretty well.  He couldn't be an officer without college, though, so that might be a good reason for your son to get a degree first, if he's thinking of it as a career.
 I'm reminded of a friend's son many years ago. He was determined to go into the USN at the earliest opportunity. My friend kept trying to convince him to go to university first. He enlisted at 17, between his grade 11 and 12 years in HS, in a programme that allowed the choice of attending university or not. After a summer at sea he came home and started talking about going to university. His dad asked why he had changed his mind. He said, 'Dad, do you know what a chipping hammer is?' His dad, a Navy veteran himself, said he knew about chipping hammers. The son replied, 'Officers don't use chipping hammers!' Try to get the young man to go to university where they have a USMC ROTC programme or enlist in a programme that will send him to university on the officer track.
I never had it easy with math and science.  All those calculations caused my head to spin.  On the other hand I was always good a subjects like history, composition, and humanities.  Does this mean that I'm right brained as opposed to left?

Bob
(09-14-2008, 07:35 PM)Historian Wrote: I've kept forcing the kids to continue with Saxon because every program seems to use it and require it.  While my son is behind in grade level for math, he got a B+ on the Saxon Algebra placement test for Algebra 1.  He just took the Seton Algebra placement test and got 17 out of 20 right. 

But plodding through Saxon Algebra I is taking forever!  Maybe it's because my son isn't practiced in working for 2 hours essaytyper every day on math, but he doesn't do well trying to complete 4 lessons and a test per week. 

My son is behind in science. 

I am lousy in math, but I had to work really hard to do what I did.  That included spending a lot of time after school in the math resource center and doing my homework every night.  The math took me a long time, but I did it, and it did pay off, but it was hard and took time.  When it comes to learning math for those of us who have problems, it requires lots of practice.