Bay Rum cologne/after shave
I just bought some of this stuff along with a fairly cheap strait razor and it is great! It has a nice spicy peppery kind of smell I would highly recommend it to you gents.
Oh yes, it is a true classic.
where did you get it at?

Ruination_ipa Wrote:where did you get it at?

I got a cheap 10$ bottle at Walgreens. (I say cheap because I have seen some online for up to 45$).
How easy is straight-edge shaving? How dangerous?
Credo Wrote:How easy is straight-edge shaving? How dangerous?

Well I just started. But I can say it is time consuming you have to sharpen the razor and shave twice once with and once against the grain but it gives a very close shave much better than these razors that have 900,000 blades in them. This is also why I like it it is a very manly ritual.

How Dangerous? Your going to lose some blood.[Image: wink.gif] You nick yourself alot when you first start but you get the hang of it after a few times. It isn't really dangerous. When you hold the blade you hold it at an angle so that you can't cut yourself seriously. You won't cut any thing serious because you would have to hold it at a parallel angle in order to do so(in other words you would have to try to slit your throat). You HAVE to get an expensive razor though a cheapie will cause lots of nicks because they are hard to sharpen. Best thing about them is they don't cause razor burn.
Baskerville Wrote:

Well I just started. But I can say it is time consuming you have to sharpen the razor and shave twice once with and once against the grain but it gives a very close shave much better than these razors that have 900,000 blades in them. This is also why I like it it is a very manly ritual.

How Dangerous? Your going to lose some blood.[Image: wink.gif] You nick yourself alot when you first start but you get the hang of it after a few times. It isn't really dangerous. When you hold the blade you hold it at an angle so that you can't cut yourself seriously. You won't cut any thing serious because you would have to hold it at a parallel angle in order to do so(in other words you would have to try to slit your throat). You HAVE to get an expensive razor though a cheapie will cause lots of nicks because they are hard to sharpen. Best thing about them is they don't cause razor burn.
 Do you have a honing stone and a strop? If not, get both. The stone will sharpen it nicely, but leave a 'bead' which the strop will take care of, leaving a great edge. I shaved with a straight razor for years until I had kids. Not something you want around with curious rug rats!
Baskerville Wrote:once against the grain
This doesn't cause irritation when the hair grows back? This happens to me even with a safety razor.  
Credo Wrote:
Baskerville Wrote:once against the grain
This doesn't cause irritation when the hair grows back? This happens to me even with a safety razor.  

Not yet it hasn't. You have to re- shave soap your face before you shave the second time against the grain.
jovan66102 Wrote:
Baskerville Wrote:

Do you have a honing stone and a strop? If not, get both. The stone will sharpen it nicely, but leave a 'bead' which the strop will take care of, leaving a great edge. I shaved with a straight razor for years until I had kids. Not something you want around with curious rug rats!

I don't have the stone yet the razor I ordered was already honed but I will need to order one probably by the end of this week.(thanks for the reminder)