The Society of Christendom is looking for a few, good men
devotedknuckles Wrote:
Quote:No one may be a Member who has not attained to the age of eighteen years, and who is not a traditional Catholic man having received the sacraments of Baptism and Confirmation, as well as Matrimony or Holy Orders, if applicable and as appropriate
sorry I misunderstood. [Image: wink.gif]
sip sip
 Yeah, the key is 'if applicable and as appropriate'!
Satori Wrote:Oh, goodie. I want something like a Catholic version of the SCA.

I have a theory that one way to promote the Latin Mass to mainstream Catholics is to remind them that it's the cornerstone of the cultural heritage of Western Europe.  A group like this could be instrumental in doing it, especially in the US where everybody's so very romantic about the past.  It could be both legit and fun.
gilbertgea Wrote:To all who shall see these presents, greeting:

If you are an adult (18 years of age or older) counter-revolutionary or traditional Catholic man interested in things mediaeval and monarchial, and if you would like to network amongst like-minded men, the Society of Christendom may be for you.

The Society of Christendom is a private, unincorporated, nonprofit, traditional Catholic educational and beneficial fraternity dedicated to preaching and practicing the Social Kingship of Our Lord Jesus Christ. It accomplishes its mission by studying, promoting, reinstituting, and preserving the best aspects of mediaeval European Catholic culture, civilisation, history, traditions, customs, and courtesies.
In recognition and imitation of the tripartite division of mediaeval European Catholic society, the Society welcomes clergymen or religious affiliated with traditional Catholic orders; active, former, or retired military and naval servicemen; as well as ordinary laymen who practice the Catholic faith as defined and taught by Our Lord Jesus Christ, the Apostles, the Fathers and Doctors of the Church, the many Popes, and the General Councils. Admission to the Society is by invitation only.
No one may be a Member who has not attained to the age of eighteen years, and who is not a traditional Catholic man having received the sacraments of Baptism and Confirmation, as well as Matrimony or Holy Orders, if applicable and as appropriate.
For more information, contact the Group Owner at vChristendom-owner@yahoogroups.com or gilbertgea@gmail.com.

Yours faithfully in Christ,

G.E.A. Gilbert
Group Owner, vChristendom

I'm with ya all the way on this, but, um, I think traditionalist Catholics are over extending and over-spreading themselves in this area. Basically, I think what we need is a way to bring those Catholics who are already engaged in this sort of activity together. But, then, there are a lot of divisive traditionalist politics that kind of invariably cause that kind of division.
My point is, as long as there remains an unwillingness to tolerate opposing "polities", if you will, there is not going to be a group large enough and influential enough to really make much a difference in this area.
A number of small groups and websites have already been devoted to this sort of activity, myself included [which included everything from forum, e-zine, a small group of traditionalists and principles, etc., etc.]. I know of at least two other groups who have attempted this, and one notable individual who still attempts to do some of this same type of work, as well as a traditionalist newspaper. I guess what I'm asking is, what is your game plan, what is you have in mind that is going to make this one excel, and how do you intend to implement your ideas?
Quote: It accomplishes its mission by studying, promoting, reinstituting, and preserving the best aspects of mediaeval European Catholic culture, civilisation, history, traditions, customs, and courtesies.

Exactly, how do you intend on doing that? 

Sounds pretty great.  How do you go about doing these things with guys who live all over the country and/or world?
Walty Wrote:Sounds pretty great.  How do you go about doing these things with guys who live all over the country and/or world?

I'd love to hear that as well, it sounds like a great thing that desperately needs to do, but what exactly do you plan on doing?
Looks as if the poster didn't really care enough about the organization to follow through with interested parties.
Quote:Looks as if the poster didn't really care enough about the organization to follow through with interested parties.
I think he wanted you to email him:

Quote:For more information, contact the Group Owner at vChristendom-owner@yahoogroups.com or gilbertgea@gmail.com.
Well, while we are waiting for a reply on what concrete things the group will do to achieve it's goals, i think we can use the time to put together a list of our own... Here is my stab at it:

-obviously pray and work for personal sanctification
-have regular meetings to define practical goals and a timeline to achieve these goals
-determine the groups resources, human and financial
-choose some key projects like holding information sessions, priest outreach, conferences on relevant historical events, find some interested experts to give the groups opinions a credible and articulate spokesperson etc.

As you can see the goals are ambitious so the means to achieve them may be too overwhelming for a small group, but one has to start somewhere. But I also agree like a previous poster that other groups are doing much the same thing. For example, one could claim that the SSPX is essentially doing this, on a world-wide scale, why not just support their infrastructure...?
Also the TFP is also attempting to do something like this.....
Also some smaller religious orders in and out of the NO church are, in some ways, also contributing to a revival of western culture, including some academics...

So my suggestions is perhaps creating a way of bringing these like-minded organizations together for the practical purposes, while being able to avoid triggering disunity from their theological or practical differences.

In fact this having been said, if the source of Christian unity, ie the Holy Father, would attempt to do as much, these small piece-meal groupings wouldn't need to be so ambitious.... After all, isn't this the Holy Father's job,,? to return society to Christ and to gather all together in unity?

I suppose it could be argued that he is at least attempting to bring together all Christians in unity, but he has dropped the ball on for what purpose, we would claim, to restore all things in Christ, but on the surface it looks like an attempt at unity for temporal peace only, because the way they are coming together and overcoming differences is by watering down theology....
what a big mess!