Cooking.....
I was wondering about how it is in many trad homes, who does the majority of the cooking, I assume it's probably the woman, but there are many men who do as well, including myself, but it's more on the part because I like to, but also to help my wife out as well. Anyway, I have a few questions that I am curious about....

1. Who does most of the meal prep and cooking at you house, you or your spouse?

2. Who is the better cook you or your spouse? Be honest, the women in my family are good cooks, but so are many of the men, my uncles and brother-in-law are fantastic cooks, better than their wives really. As for me, I'm not bad, but my wife's cooking skills are awesome, like her mother, all Italians who can make anything and taste great.

3. I've noticed many of the younger women in the families who are young wives are not very good cooks, some out of laziness, some have just been spoiled and didn't have to learn how, I think this is a great talent that is being lost, especially by our young women.Anyway, do many of the younger people here or in their families take the time to make their own meals or is it take out city every other night, just curious.
Hi, Alaric, you've asked a good question.

I was number one cook till having a baby 11 months ago; now husband and I, more often than not, fend for ourselves with a pb and j when we get hungry. I still hope to get it together and have dinner on the table regularly at some point, since I am the one who is at home all day.

Obviously this isn't really a gender-specific skill, since many if not most of the world's great chefs are men. I think the fact that we think of cooking as women's work just has to do with convenience, with the fact that the woman is more likely to be at home taking care of children, and therefore it makes more sense for her to prepare meals.

Here in my home, skills are mixed. My husband is much better at preparing most meats, especially steaks. He is the one who cooks on the grill; I won't touch the thing. However, I'm much better at baking in general. I'm the one who will make pies and breads from scratch, and my cookies are usually better. I also make good casseroles and am good at saucing up an inferior cut of meat. Really, although we both have our strengths, neither one of us suffers when the other one prepares an entire meal single-handedly.

I am the cook.  When, for some rare reason, my husband has to prepare supper, disaster almost always occurs.

I do all my stuff "from scratch" too, - no mixes here. 

I have older daughters who like to bake, too, so they do some of the desserts.  And they have been known to pitch in with meals when I'm sick or running late with errands.

Christina

I (the man) do most of the cooking for us.  I'm good at it, and I'd rather cook than clean up afterwards.  We have a deal that whichever one cooks, the other one cleans up, and it works out.

My wife can cook pretty well too, but she's not as practiced at it, so she has to have a recipe to follow closely.  My mom always had us kids helping her in the kitchen, and we learned to combine whatever was on hand to make good meals.
I WISH!! My husband never cooks ....ever. He made dinner once in the last 5 years, he tried to make spaghetti, he put beer and carrots in the sauce, i choked it down and praised him for it (i wanted to encourage him to try again!) LOL I do all the cooking, but I am a little lazy, we eat alotta fast food.
As for who is better? me for sure, i used to love to cook, but with 3 kids under 4, im too tired mosta the time now

I cook and he grills...

We have grilled food at least once a week! :eats::eats:

I used to like to cook until I got married.
Satori......We have three kids and when they were younger my wife was at home as well watching over them, feeding them and taking care of the house and everything else, a very demanding job I'll admit and respect homemakers for very much.And my wife just about always had a good dinner when I came home, and we usually ate as a family, together, that is very important, I always made sure we said grace before our meals, even to this day and my kids are bigger now, but still adhere to pray before they eat, see food and faith go together.

Cooking is definitely not gender-specific, but it used to be that the man went out and earned and the wife had more time at home to prepare meals and clean up, which the kids should help with that as well, everyone used to work together, that's what made it all work, I know times are changing and not for the better in my opinion.

I'm also the "griller" at our house, but my wife can and will do it if I'm unable to or not available, but she's definitely the "baker" of pies and cakes, we both make sauce and pasta's, but like I said, she's the best, her sauce is better than my mothers(thank God she's not on the forum to read this) as well as everything else.

But still it's a team effort, like everything else in a marriage. You make it work.
introibo Wrote:

I am the cook.  When, for some rare reason, my husband has to prepare supper, disaster almost always occurs.

I do all my stuff "from scratch" too, - no mixes here. 

I have older daughters who like to bake, too, so they do some of the desserts.  And they have been known to pitch in with meals when I'm sick or running late with errands.

Christina

Have your husband try some easier meals like soups or pasta's and go easy until he gets better, but he has to want to do it, then help him out and encourage him, you'll both be better off in the long run. My wife's a great teacher, but I'll admit she's got the patience of Job, something i'll never have.
Cooking from "scratch" is no easy thing, you must be patient as well.That's a good thing.

My daughter is 16, I told my wife she really has to start helping her out in the kitchen, like I said, that is a very important thing for a mother to hand down her daughter, my mother-in-law did a great job with my wife, of course that's the way it is with Italians anyway,it's expected.
Mhoram Wrote:I (the man) do most of the cooking for us.  I'm good at it, and I'd rather cook than clean up afterwards.  We have a deal that whichever one cooks, the other one cleans up, and it works out.

My wife can cook pretty well too, but she's not as practiced at it, so she has to have a recipe to follow closely.  My mom always had us kids helping her in the kitchen, and we learned to combine whatever was on hand to make good meals.
Me and my wife has the same deal, although usually we both help each other anyway, unless we're busy doing something else at that time.
Both my parents could cook as well, although my father liked his spices a little more for our taste, but actually I learned to appreciate it as I got older myself, I think that's the French blood in us.He used to even make Cajun food.
CanadianCatholic Wrote:I WISH!! My husband never cooks ....ever. He made dinner once in the last 5 years, he tried to make spaghetti, he put beer and carrots in the sauce, i choked it down and praised him for it (i wanted to encourage him to try again!) LOL I do all the cooking, but I am a little lazy, we eat alotta fast food.
As for who is better? me for sure, i used to love to cook, but with 3 kids under 4, im too tired mosta the time now
Beer and carrots in the gravy(sauce)? Yea you've got problems, but like I said, have him make the easy meals, like maybe canned soup and sandwiches to start,lol! don't worry it will get better, but go easy on the fast food, it gets expensive eating out often and not good nourishment for the kids, but i know it's hard,especially with many little ones, I know, we've been there. good luck.

thankx your responses.