Cooking.....
I've spent a lot of time working in restaurants and the hospitality business and am much more comfortable cooking than my wife is.  So I'd say that since we got married, I've cooked 80% of the meals at our home.  But we plan menus together (this is a HUGE money saver!) and in the last 6 months or so, I've started putting her name on the menu for 2 days a week and told her that those days were up to her.

She likes this arrangement.  Previously, she was intimidated by the idea of cooking every day (before she met me, a lot of her college dinners consisted of corn chips & salsa or some kind of macaroni & cheese), but the two "Wife Days" is working out well.
I do all the cooking (except for the occasional breakfast) but I'm not good at it.  And I hate doing it because everyone is picky-- all my life I've been willing to eat everything, so this picky-ness drives me up the wall.
I do a lot of grilling, almost all year, except for the very coldest part of winter.  We have a natural gas grill though, which is why I can do this.  I like the grill because there is less mess [Image: laff.gif]

Once in a while I'll try to make something I saw on PBS or the Food Network, and it always goes horribly wrong.  Always.  I need a dog to eat my mistakes.

I also don't do big holiday meals.  If we don't get invited everywhere, it's take-out [Image: laff.gif]

pander44 Wrote:I'm cooking today,usually do on Sundays during football season,stuffed cabbage,pierogies ( making them myself ) and halushki ( again,home made )
 Man! Sounds good. You sound like you'd fit right in here in Edmonton!
Planning menu's is a very good idea, GW's ghost is right on, you do save time and money, before we hit the market, we always have our meals planned for the week so we usually don't just spontaneous shop for food(or anything else for that matter). As far as who cooks, that can be more random, it's usually what we're making and who has more time that day, but my wife usually cooks at least more than double than I do.

Erin don't listen to others being "fussy" about what you've made, especially the kids, you made it, they eat it, it's not a restaurant, that simple. that's the way it was in my house growing up and how my kids were treated as well, and we never really had problems,believe me, going to bed on an empty stomach gets old in a hurry with kids, they'll learn to deal with it.

I really like the food network especially that southern lady who makes all them big meals, but your right, they make it look easy, of course they have great big kitchens with all the modern conveniences and time to do it.

Holidays are usually done at the grandparents or in-laws house, they want it every year, they got it. (hint:never volunteer to do it at your house, but usually have accepted if asked)

Pander I have no idea what halushki is, sounds Polish or Japanese, but I bet it's good.
alaric Wrote:Pander I have no idea what halushki is, sounds Polish or Japanese, but I bet it's good.
 Polish or Ukrainian.
pander44 Wrote:Alaric,
        Fried cabbage and noodles,plenty of onions,and the only time I use ( health reasons ) real butter.Jovan you are right,its Polish and it is very good if I do say so myself.Pierogies are better than I have made in years ( again,lot of onions and butter,and mashed potatos ) teaching my niece how to hand make them.Might sound like I'm bragging but I can do the Eastern European cooking pretty good.[Image: smile.gif]

I wish I had the time and patience to make pierogi more than once a year (Christmas Eve)...that is one recipe I dread making (although I did pick up some hints from a friend last year, and my session went a lot better).

We all love stuffed cabbage...but it is hard to find a head of cabbage with lots of leaves (I know there are ways to coax them off, but even then, it's tough). We grow loads of collard greens, and I"ve resorted to using them for the golabki, and it works great!

Christina

Oh, and to give hubby credit, he does do grilling fairly often, especially in the summer.  The only time I tried grilling on the big grill almost ended in a disaster on my part.....I put on pork ribs and forgot to turn down the grill temperature.  Needless to say, there was a massive grease fire, which ended up melting the grill handle and almost catching our vinyl siding on fire.

Kind of funny, as the last of my husband's disasters in the kitchen involved pork and high temps, too. I had gone out with the kids to an afternoon activity.  I had put the pork roast in the oven and told him to turn it on at a certain time.  When I came home a few hours later, the house was full of smoke, the smoke detector was going off, etc. He admitted that he forgot to turn on the oven at the right time, so he turned it on higher than I had set it for, thinking that the roast would get done faster.  Well, what do you know, we had another grease/fat problem in the oven!

The only grilling I handle easily is on our little camping stove.

Christina

pander44 Wrote:Alaric,
        Fried cabbage and noodles,plenty of onions,and the only time I use ( health reasons ) real butter.Jovan you are right,its Polish and it is very good if I do say so myself.Pierogies are better than I have made in years ( again,lot of onions and butter,and mashed potatos ) teaching my niece how to hand make them.Might sound like I'm bragging but I can do the Eastern European cooking pretty good.[Image: smile.gif]
My background is pure WASP, so I'm envying all the Italians and Poles their delicious meals. The cabbage and noodles sounded so good I went to the store and bought some to fix for dinner tomorrow night. Anybody got a favorite recipe for this dish he or she would be willing to share?

By the way, Pander, butter is better for you than margarine, so pile it on and don't feel bad.

Erin, if you didn't live so far away from me, I'd invite your family over for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I love cooking big holiday meals and never have enough people over to suit me on those occasions. 
introibo Wrote:

Oh, and to give hubby credit, he does do grilling fairly often, especially in the summer.  The only time I tried grilling on the big grill almost ended in a disaster on my part.....I put on pork ribs and forgot to turn down the grill temperature.  Needless to say, there was a massive grease fire, which ended up melting the grill handle and almost catching our vinyl siding on fire.

Kind of funny, as the last of my husband's disasters in the kitchen involved pork and high temps, too. I had gone out with the kids to an afternoon activity.  I had put the pork roast in the oven and told him to turn it on at a certain time.  When I came home a few hours later, the house was full of smoke, the smoke detector was going off, etc. He admitted that he forgot to turn on the oven at the right time, so he turned it on higher than I had set it for, thinking that the roast would get done faster.  Well, what do you know, we had another grease/fat problem in the oven!

The only grilling I handle easily is on our little camping stove.

Christina

What is it with men and grills? Me, I'm a coward when it comes to fire.
I do all the cooking and meal planning...but, my when hubby is watching his weight he will make himself a quick bowl of rice during the day or something to that effect. He is good at grilling, so when we get a grill (LOL) he will do most of that. Since having a baby it is sometimes hard to cook (or do anything else) but I have learned to keep her with me and let her sit on the floor by me while I work. She chews on a sock (Laundry), plays with a spoon (cooking) or just watches me work (anything else). I love it!!