Cooking.....
I always picture Happy Wife with a big bottle of Valium sitting on her desk...  'I love cooking! I love laundry! Happy happy happy! Wheeeeee!'

1. Who does most of the meal prep and cooking at you house, you or your spouse?

I do - but I am at home all day.  As a homeschooling mom I simply have more time at home to do the cooking.  When both my husband and I worked outside the home we would share the cooking duties.

2. Who is the better cook you or your spouse?

I am - but by a very narrow margin.  I think what makes me the "better" cook is that I have a knack for timing.  I can cook an entree and two or three side dishes and get everything to be ready at the same time.  My husband, perhaps because of his dyslexia (?) lacks the organizational ability to do that.

However - when it comes to cooking on the grill my husband is aces!  I can do it but it never comes out as good as when he does it.

3. I've noticed many of the younger women in the families who are young wives are not very good cooks, some out of laziness, some have just been spoiled and didn't have to learn how, I think this is a great talent that is being lost, especially by our young women.Anyway, do many of the younger people here or in their families take the time to make their own meals or is it take out city every other night, just curious.

I definitely cannot answer this as I am not a "younger people" type of person.  But I am working on teaching my daughter to cook.  I think it is sad how many of her friends (early to mid teens) think that microwaving a frozen Lean Cuisine meal is "cooking."

Edited to add:

My husband is not only the "bread winner" in our family but also the bread baker!  He bakes marvelous breads (including croissants and brioche).
Satori Wrote:What is it with men and grills? Me, I'm a coward when it comes to fire.
Grilling is the pure essence of manly cooking.

There's an element of danger involved.

*grunt*
Hey WRC, can you give me an example of your menu planning? I'm very bad at it myself and trying to learn.

I guess it doesn't help that when I go to the grocery store, I head straight for the "specials" in the meat section and buy whatever's there that looks good, then buy whatever's cheap and good-looking in the vegetables section. Sort of the way some men choose a wife, you might say. Makes planning ahead a bit difficult.

So, are the noodles in the fried cabbage dish supposed to be homemade? I bought a bag of dried ones ... hope they work!
They work Satori.Some people I know boil them for a minute or 2,you know moisten them up a bit,I never have,seem to do ok.There were no leftovers so I guess I'm doing something right.[Image: smile.gif] Making blintzes today,going to be busier than heck.Good luck!
pander44 Wrote:They work Satori.Some people I know boil them for a minute or 2,you know moisten them up a bit,I never have,seem to do ok.There were no leftovers so I guess I'm doing something right.[Image: smile.gif] Making blintzes today,going to be busier than heck.Good luck!

Ooooh, I love blintzes. What are you filling them with?
1. Who does most of the meal prep and cooking at you house, you or your spouse?
Me all the way. Jason has a long commute and gets home way too late to cook. He did cook a few times for me after I had our last baby but it was mainly Buitoni and frozen casseroles. I know he can cook though...when we were dating he cooked a Loose Lasagna with Tiramisu for me...all from scratch. Besides I really, really love cooking. I don't sew, I hate laundry with a passion, but I love trying new recipes and cooking elaborate meals. Food Network is the bomb. ;) Alaric, I love Paula Deen too. She is awesome. My son Sean likes the Barefoot Contessa and Bobby Flay. :D

2. Who is the better cook you or your spouse?
I would say I am. He would agree with me. :laughing:

3. Anyway, do many of the younger people here or in their families take the time to make their own meals or is it take out city every other night, just curious
Well I was second oldest and am in my mid-twenties...and I cook my own meals. My son calls himself my Little Chef, so I'm hoping to pass on the knowledge to him and my other kiddos.
ErinIsNotNice Wrote:I always picture Happy Wife with a big bottle of Valium sitting on her desk...  'I love cooking! I love laundry! Happy happy happy! Wheeeeee!'

"When love and duty are one, grace is within you."

I am happy! I am sorry that you find being a housewife so distasteful, that is sad. I don't LOVE laundry, or doing dishes again and again and again...don't even get me started on mopping...LOL

but...

I do love my family, and with every load of laundry, every sink full of dishes, and ever loaf of fresh bread, I am showing them how much I love them. How important it is for me to give them my very best. I love God by loving my family so my seemingly mundane tasks have the higher purpose of bringing me closer to God as well.    
   If I greet each task with a smile and a purposeful attitude I am showing my husband love and consideration. I do not think it would be very kind to sigh and moan through every task, making my husband feel badly, making my child feel like I begrudge her existence. It is not just what one does for love of others, but how one behaves while doing them.
   I am not saying I am "Giselle" 24/7, but I certainly do love my little family and that gives me a reason to be happy always!
pander44 Wrote:Alaric,
        Fried cabbage and noodles,plenty of onions,and the only time I use ( health reasons ) real butter.Jovan you are right,its Polish and it is very good if I do say so myself.Pierogies are better than I have made in years ( again,lot of onions and butter,and mashed potatos ) teaching my niece how to hand make them.Might sound like I'm bragging but I can do the Eastern European cooking pretty good.[Image: smile.gif]
 Here in Edmonton you can buy about 20 different kinds of pierogis in the grocery store (frozen or in the coldcase) and the farmer's markets are full of booths selling homemade ones. Of course, the world's largest pierogi is a roadside attraction in Glendon, the largest kubasa is in Mundare and the largest pysanki is in Vegreville, all just east of Edmonton. Might say there's a bit of Ukrainian influence around here!
HappyWife Wrote:I am sorry that you find being a housewife so distasteful, that is sad.

I'm no housewife [Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif]