Cooking.....
ErinIsNotNice Wrote:
HappyWife Wrote:I am sorry that you find being a housewife so distasteful, that is sad.

I'm no housewife [Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif]

Thank God you aren't as uncivilized as HappyWife.
[Image: eyes.gif]
ErinIsNotNice Wrote:I always picture Happy Wife with a big bottle of Valium sitting on her desk...  'I love cooking! I love laundry! Happy happy happy! Wheeeeee!'
Wow, your so freakin cold your hair is turning blue........[Image: biggrin.gif]

Maybe your the one who needs to start poppin V's.[Image: wink.gif]
Mommie2Boys Wrote:1. Who does most of the meal prep and cooking at you house, you or your spouse?
Me all the way. Jason has a long commute and gets home way too late to cook. He did cook a few times for me after I had our last baby but it was mainly Buitoni and frozen casseroles. I know he can cook though...when we were dating he cooked a Loose Lasagna with Tiramisu for me...all from scratch. Besides I really, really love cooking. I don't sew, I hate laundry with a passion, but I love trying new recipes and cooking elaborate meals. Food Network is the bomb. ;) Alaric, I love Paula Deen too. She is awesome. My son Sean likes the Barefoot Contessa and Bobby Flay. :D

2. Who is the better cook you or your spouse?
I would say I am. He would agree with me. :laughing:

3. Anyway, do many of the younger people here or in their families take the time to make their own meals or is it take out city every other night, just curious
Well I was second oldest and am in my mid-twenties...and I cook my own meals. My son calls himself my Little Chef, so I'm hoping to pass on the knowledge to him and my other kiddos.
Yea Paula Dean, that's her. I can't even finish watching her half hour show without going to kitchen for some munchies, that gal can cook.
I also like Rachael Ray, I've known about her for years,she's from upstate NY and well known around here, she has some good stuff, sometimes she's a little too perky for me, but that's what made her big, now she has her own talk show, she parlayed her skills big time, good for her.

It's very important to pass our skills down to the children, that's a big problem with a lot of young people today, they don't know because they never been taught, but I suspect many of them just don't think it matters, they couldn't be more wrong.

You guy can make Tiramisu? that's pretty impressive, that's my weakness, i'm not to proficient with confectionery.
I cook all the time!  This week I made chicken soup with kale and squash and carrots in it.  :eats:  My mom taught me how to bake, but cooking I sort of learned on my own once I got an apartment with other girls two years ago.  For me cooking is a way to be creative and economical all at once.  I usually try at least one new recipe a week.  I do cook for my fiance almost every day, since we live three blocks apart.  He always does the dishes, though!  Take-out usually only happens when we're traveling.  I still have a busy student lifestyle, but I've learned that crock-pots and leftovers are your friends.  Breakfast and lunch are brown-bag meals during the week, since we try to go to early Mass.

Meal planning:  I have a general idea of what's in season, then look for recipes with that ingredient.  I make a menu for the week, and then my grocery list.  I'll often make one big meal that can be stretched through the week as needed, like a pot roast that gets reincarnated as French Dip sandwiches, and then fill in with quick stove-top type things.  We eat spaghetti a lot, too. 

Baking is becoming a rare thing, since it takes so much time.  I don't do bread.  I've tried and it always comes out a rock.  Any tips, HappyWife?

alaric Wrote:
Mommie2Boys Wrote:1. Who does most of the meal prep and cooking at you house, you or your spouse?
Me all the way. Jason has a long commute and gets home way too late to cook. He did cook a few times for me after I had our last baby but it was mainly Buitoni and frozen casseroles. I know he can cook though...when we were dating he cooked a Loose Lasagna with Tiramisu for me...all from scratch. Besides I really, really love cooking. I don't sew, I hate laundry with a passion, but I love trying new recipes and cooking elaborate meals. Food Network is the bomb. ;) Alaric, I love Paula Deen too. She is awesome. My son Sean likes the Barefoot Contessa and Bobby Flay. :D

2. Who is the better cook you or your spouse?
I would say I am. He would agree with me. :laughing:

3. Anyway, do many of the younger people here or in their families take the time to make their own meals or is it take out city every other night, just curious
Well I was second oldest and am in my mid-twenties...and I cook my own meals. My son calls himself my Little Chef, so I'm hoping to pass on the knowledge to him and my other kiddos.
Yea Paula Dean, that's her. I can't even finish watching her half hour show without going to kitchen for some munchies, that gal can cook.
I also like Rachael Ray, I've known about her for years,she's from upstate NY and well known around here, she has some good stuff, sometimes she's a little too perky for me, but that's what made her big, now she has her own talk show, she parlayed her skills big time, good for her.

It's very important to pass our skills down to the children, that's a big problem with a lot of young people today, they don't know because they never been taught, but I suspect many of them just don't think it matters, they couldn't be more wrong.

You guy can make Tiramisu? that's pretty impressive, that's my weakness, i'm not to proficient with confectionery.

I've tried a lot of Paula's recipes and they all turn out great. I get rave reviews every time. (I wish I could say the same for Martha Stewart's recipes. Either her recipes are off or I think her and I just have extremely different taste buds.)

Rachael Ray is annoying. I would have to use scientific notion if I were to convert her annoyingness into a math equation. However, I do get good ideas from her 30-minute meal show, but ideas only. I rarely try to duplicate exactly what she makes because she always makes something really heavy.

Giada De Laurentiis is the girl I tivo the most and her recipes always turn out amazing. They look sophisticated but are surprisingly simple to make. Every time I make one of her recipes, someone always starts waxing nostaligic about the time they were in Rome...I guess that is a good sign.

I'm a food network junkie.

Anyway, I live with my parents (and husband and children) and my dad and I do most of the cooking. I'm the "new recipe tester" and my dad is the mexican food maker and griller. Most of the men in my family (except my husband) are really good cooks. (My great grandmother was a bit nutty and taught her sons and grandsons how to cook, iron, launder, and sew because she told them "to never rely on a woman." Its had a trickle down effect.)

I'm gradually learning the fine art of barbecuing and I tend to use the grill on a daily basis even if I'm not actually making barbecue. My parents have a Viking professional range in the house and that thing is so hard to clean it brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it. Unfortunately in our house, whoever does the cooking, also does the cleaning. Unfair.
I've never tried Paula's recipes, but she sure is fun just to listen to. Her voice is like a rich dessert.

What are some of the dishes you all like to cook in the winter? I like to make shepherd's pie, steak and ale pie (a great way to use tough or freezer-burned steaks, by the way), chicken and dumplings, coq au vin, beef burgundy, and a sort of savory bread pudding with lots of cheese and green onions. One of our favorite winter meals is also one of the easiest: kielbasa cooked till it's slightly burnt and served with potatoes, onions, and fried or baked apples with the skins on. 

Do any of you ever make shirred eggs? They are so easy and such a nice accompaniment to a meal any time of day -- good for meatless meals especially. I love good egg dishes.

SmileBug, if you're not overbaking your bread and you've ruled out a problem with your oven, try putting a pan of water on the lower oven shelf. That should make your crust more tender.

Hmm, tips for bread making? Let's see:

Don't over knead, don't over rise, and follow a good, trusted recipe. I will PM you mine if you like.

P.S. Erin, if you stay at home and take care of your children you are a housewife, that is the definition.
pander44 Wrote:ok,so how did the halushki turn out?

I'm a disorganized idiot! I did masses of laundry over at my mother's today, which always takes a long time because I have the most impossible infant God ever made. Anyway, I didn't get home till seven, and we were starving, so we just ate hot dogs. Some housewife I am! I've got the cabbage and noodles, though, so I'll try later this week. I'll let you know how they turn out.

How were your yummylicious blintzes? Your friend's version with the rum-soaked raisins actually sounds pretty awesome.
My wife and I are equally adept at cooking.  She is at home with our children so she cooks everything, except what is grilled, for which I am responsible.  We cook absolutely everything from scratch.  I mean everything.  My wife bakes bread several times a week, from scratch.  She mixed up hamburger buns tonight, which I baked off, but they were absolutely from scratch.  (The buns were necessary for pork tenderloin sandwiches and she had to run to evil Walmart so I baked them).  Everything at our house, from baby food to ranch dressing, is made from natural, raw, basic ingredients. 

I will take credit for starting us on this path, but my wife has taken up the charge and now we eat like our forebears, thank God.  Take my advice, my fellow Fisheaters, dump the processed, overly-preserved, factory mass-produced "food" products being foisted on us by the industrial food corporations and return to REAL food as soon as you can!
Anthem, do you make your own mayonnaise? I've got a big cookbook with a recipe for mayonnaise in it, but it looks as though I'd have to make up a pretty big batch and then use it up in a week, which I could not do.

When I was a kid, my mother used to buy us pastries at a Polish bakery -- I think they were stuffed with prunes and involved poppy seeds, can't remember too well. Kolaches? Do any of the Polish fishies know how to make these treats?