Cooking.....
Satori Wrote:Anthem, do you make your own mayonnaise? I've got a big cookbook with a recipe for mayonnaise in it, but it looks as though I'd have to make up a pretty big batch and then use it up in a week, which I could not do.

When I was a kid, my mother used to buy us pastries at a Polish bakery -- I think they were stuffed with prunes and involved poppy seeds, can't remember too well. Kolaches? Do any of the Polish fishies know how to make these treats?
 Kolaches (spelled that way) are Czech and Slovak in origin though. Actually, poppyseeds are used as a filling without prunes as well. I've also had them filled with cherries. The Polish kolacz is similar but it tends to be a fully closed pastry with the filling inside, whereas kolache are open with the filling in a depression on top. ***Edited to remove Polish letter not supported by the forum!***
Yes, I would appreciate your bread recipe.  Thanks!  [Image: tiphat2.gif]
Satori Wrote:Anthem, do you make your own mayonnaise? I've got a big cookbook with a recipe for mayonnaise in it, but it looks as though I'd have to make up a pretty big batch and then use it up in a week, which I could not do.
Here's a mayonnaise recipe from Nourishing Traditions[Image: ir?t=buttham-20&l=as2&o=1&a=0967089735] that'll keep for months.  The key is the whey, which you have leftover from making cream cheese.  (Make a big batch of yogurt, hang it in a cheesecloth bag until it stops dripping, and you have cream cheese in the bag and whey underneath it.)

In a food processor or blender, mix these ingredients, at room temperature:

1 whole egg
1 egg yolk
1 t. Dijon-type mustard
1.5 T. lemon juice
1 T. whey (optional)
generous pinch of sea salt

Then, with the machine running, add 3/4 to 1 cup of olive oil or sunflower oil in a very slow stream.  Taste and check the seasoning; add more salt or lemon juice if needed.  Store at room temperature for 7 hours, then refrigerate.

If you used the whey, it'll keep for months in the fridge.  Without the whey, it should be good for a couple weeks.
Thanks, Mister!
You know how I KNOW I'm pregnant? I was making egg salad for my husband yesterday and was using a spoon to scoop mayo out of the jar. When I was done, I took out another spoonful and put it in my mouth and said, "MMMMMMMMM."

I have a secret love affair with mayonnaise but I'm usually not smitten enough to eat it by the spoonful.
Paloma Wrote:You know how I KNOW I'm pregnant? I was making egg salad for my husband yesterday and was using a spoon to scoop mayo out of the jar. When I was done, I took out another spoonful and put it in my mouth and said, "MMMMMMMMM."

I have a secret love affair with mayonnaise but I'm usually not smitten enough to eat it by the spoonful.

It's a good thing I'm not pregnant, or reading that would have made me sick [Image: puke.gif]
Paloma Wrote:You know how I KNOW I'm pregnant? I was making egg salad for my husband yesterday and was using a spoon to scoop mayo out of the jar. When I was done, I took out another spoonful and put it in my mouth and said, "MMMMMMMMM."

I too like mayo, my wife cannot stand it!!

We both love to cook and try new recipes. Food Network is usually the only thing on TV. I do the cooking 80% of the time, just because I find it really relaxing at the end of the day. For meal planning... We go grocery shopping every Tuesday. Basically, I pick 3 new recipes for the week.  I make my list on Sunday or Monday, based on the recipes’ ingredients and what I need to replenish in my “basics”. For the other 4 days, I just make up my own thing based on ingredients I always have on hand. I use a lot of Rachel Ray, Tyler Florence, and Emeril recipes. It works out really well for us budget wise, since it is a pretty structured set-up. I miss having a gas stove though!

pander44 Wrote:pysanky,another art that is fading around here,although i never tried doing them,i know plenty of the older people who are/were experts at it,used to win prizes all over western PA/Eastern Ohio.Doggone it Jovan,think I'm going to skip the fried mush tonight[Image: laff.gif]

I do pysanky!  Easter (well, Holy Week) is not complete if we don't drag out the dyes styluses and do at least one apiece!

In fact, I've been doing a class for our homeschooling group for the past couple of year.

Christina

Christina,
             Couldn't interest you in a pot of czarnina could I ?[Image: smile.gif]