I need a recipe for...
Mac and Cheese. I've never made mac and cheese from scratch. Does anyone have a good recipe for one? I looked up recipes from food network because my aunt makes Ina Garten's Mac and Cheese (and it is really good) but it calls for gruyere and 1.) I don't feel like making a special trip to Trader Joe's and 2.) I want to keep it on the simple and cheap side. I also looked up recipes at allrecipes.com but some of the reviewers rave about a recipe while other people say it tasted like something out of Fear Factor.

Any suggestions for tried and true Macaroni and Cheese?
mmm i make a yummy one, but its like a casserole.

I box of macaroni (i think like 600 grams) Big block of velveeta cheese(cut into slices), Can of tomato soup, onion, bread crumbs, and a can of dices tomatoes

Cooke the pasta (put aside)
 Cut onions very fine, mix with pasta, add can of diced tomatoes.
 Do a layer of the pasta mixture, do a layer of velveeta cheese. another layer of pasta mixture, the empty the can of soup over it, another layer of  velveeta cheese, bread crumbe on top. Bake in the oven @ 350 (not sure what that is for you?) for about an hour

Paloma,

Have you tried Cooks.com?

I've never made mac and cheese from scratch, either, so I'm no help there. 

Buena suerte!

Roy
This is the macaroni and cheese recipe my family and friends all love:

one 8-oz package macaroni
one can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
half cup mayonnaise
half stick butter or margarine, melted
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 to one full pound grated cheese
1 1/2 to 2 cups crushed butter crackers (like Ritz)

Preheat the oven to 350. Prepare the macaroni according to package directions, then drain. Combine the soup, mayo, butter, onion, and cheese in a large bowl. Add the macaroni and mix well. Spoon into a 3-qt. casserole dish and top with the cracker crumbs. Bake uncovered for 30 to 40 minutes or until the top is lightly browned. (10-12 servings)

A simpler one I like just involves cooking the macaroni and mixing it with about a cup of white sauce (very easy to make, just milk, butter, and a couple spoonfuls of flour heated up together on the stove till thick), then putting it in a casserole dish, topping it with plented of shredded cheese, and baking it till it's warm all through and melty on top. Buttery bread crumb topping optional.
We're midwestern folk, so we've always got a block of imitation-Velveeta in the fridge.  Aldi makes the best imitation-Pasteurized-Processed-Cheese-Spread in these United States.  Just cut it with a little milk and nuke'er, stirring until she's smooth.  Drop it into a pot of whatever noodles are in the cupboard (the long ones like spaghetti/vermacelli/linguini don't work as well as the short fat ones like rotini/penne/farfalle).

Alakazam.
WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:We're midwestern folk, so we've always got a block of imitation-Velveeta in the fridge.  Aldi makes the best imitation-Pasteurized-Processed-Cheese-Spread in these United States.  Just cut it with a little milk and nuke'er, stirring until she's smooth.  Drop it into a pot of whatever noodles are in the cupboard (the long ones like spaghetti/vermacelli/linguini don't work as well as the short fat ones like rotini/penne/farfalle).

Alakazam.

A gourmand such as yourself using imitation velveeta? I don't believe it!
CanadianCatholic - I've seen recipes like that and it makes a sort of Mac and Cheese Lasagna. It actually sounds really good.

Satori - Any recipe that calls for cream of mushroom gets an A in my book. I also never thought of just using a béchamel and cheese. I might try both.

Texican - I have seen cooks.com but I tend to use foodnetwork recipes and allrecipes.com because they have reviews. As conflicting as they might be, I like to read what people thought of particular recipes - what crapped it up, what it needed more of...etc. If you'd like to review the recipes for me, I'd be all over it ;)
Epicurious is good. They have reviews, too.

Is bechamel the same as white sauce?

CanadianCatholic's recipe looks damn good and I'm going to try it.
Make a roux. Melt butter and whisk in an equal amount of flour. How much depends on how much cheese sauce you want to make. 4tbsp of each is probably sufficient.
Add a good 3-4 cups of milk all at once. Bring to boil. If it is too thick add more milk. If you want it richer, add cream. Shred whatever cheese you have on hand and add to sauce. I use whatever I've got around. American, cheddar, swiss, parmesan etc....
Depending on what your family likes you can add tomatoes, hot sauce, cooked onions etc....
Mix together with the pasta of your choice and bake. You can mix some bread crumbs with butter and sprinkle on top if you like a crust.

Sorry no real recipe but this is one of those dishes that I just shoot from the hip.
Satori Wrote:Is bechamel the same as white sauce?

Yes. I've noticed that things taste better when I use fancier terminology.