Vegans among us
I try to stick to a vegan diet when I am in sole control of the menu. When I am, say, visiting a monastery I don't insist on it just so long as they don't give me anything with a face.

What is the evidence for Hitler being a vegetarian? Hitler was not a vegetarian?

Quote:Robert Payne is widely considered to be Hitler's definitive biographer. In his book, Hitler: The Life and Death of Adolph Hitler, Payne says that Hitler's "vegetarianism" was a "legend" and a "fiction" invented by Joseph Goebbels, the Nazi Minister of Propaganda. According to Payne:
"Hitler's asceticism played an important part in the image he projected over Germany. According to the widely believed legend, he neither smoked nor drank, nor did he eat meat or have anything to do with women. Only the first was true. He drank beer and diluted wine frequently, had a special fondness for Bavarian sausages and kept a mistress, Eva Braun… His asceticism was fiction invented by Goebbels to emphasize his total dedication, his self-control, the distance that separated him from other men. By this outward show of asceticism, he could claim that he was dedicated to the service of his people. In fact he was remarkably self-indulgent and possessed none of the instincts of the ascetic."

From the Toronto Vegetarian Association:
While it is true that Hitler's doctors put him on a vegetarian diet to cure him of flatulence and a chronic stomach disorder, his biographers such as Albert Speer, Robert Payne, John Toland, et al, have attested to his liking for ham sausages and other cured meats. Even Spencer says that Hitler was a vegetarian from only 1931 on: "It would be true to say that up to 1931, he preferred a vegetarian diet, but on some occasions would deviate from it." He committed suicide in the bunker when he was 56 in 1945; that would have given him 14 years as a vegetarian, but we have the testimony to the contrary of the woman chef who was his personal cook in Hamburg during the late 1930s - Dione Lucas. In her "Gourmet Cooking School Cookbook," she records that his favorite dish - the one that he customarily requested - was stuffed squab (pigeon). "I do not mean to spoil your appetite for stuffed squab, but you might be interested to know that it was a great favorite with Mr. Hitler, who dined in the hotel often."

Incidentally a lot of people are fond of asserting that Hitler was a Catholic does this discredit Catholicism?

devotedknuckles Wrote:Without a rare steak and i mean rare still bleeding from the sides, with mushrooms and caramelized onions, a dash of roasted red pepper and taties on the side, being washed thoroughly and smoothly down with a sturdy pint, i'm a sickly lad
sip sip
 Knuckles, I'm with you! I belong to PETA=People Eating Tasty Animals! I want my steak dragged through the kitchen on a rope, still mooing! Or as a Tshirt I saw has it, 'There's a place for animals. Right next to the mashed potatoes'!
We are a family of ten and while not totally vegan we stay away from treated meat. (it is harder to stay from dairy for us because we have some kids who need protein and don't get enough from legumes) We have avoided red meat and chicken for over 20 odd years and love the energetic feeling that comes from being a vegetarian.

About Rosaries, is there anyone who can offer advice about a well loved rose-wood Rosary that is broken? Where can I get it repaired?
ProstrateInAwe, take it to a local jeweler, if you know a Catholic one all the better. BTW, My DH is a jeweler (a real jeweler, not a salesman claiming to be one as are so many)so if you are anywhere near Lincoln Nebraska PM me and I'll tell you where he works.

As a Melkite we get to be vegan for the strict fasts of the Church, aside from that we eat mostly local farmer natural chucken and a bit of grocery store chicken too, rarely beef from the natural foods co-op.
I am not currently vegetarian (or vegan).  Though I would like to be.  I feel much better when I eat a vegetarian diet with minimal dairy products (dairy irritates my sinuses something fierce). 

I have been vegetarian in the past.  But since moving from Tampa, FL (a reasonably large metropolitan area) to northern AL (anything but metropolitan) I've found it very hard to maintain a vegetarian lifestyle.  When you live in a place where the stuffed heads and bodies of dead animals (gross) is considered "day-core" ... well let's just say people aren't very friendly or helpful to vegetarians.

jovan66102 Wrote:
devotedknuckles Wrote:Without a rare steak and i mean rare still bleeding from the sides, with mushrooms and caramelized onions, a dash of roasted red pepper and taties on the side, being washed thoroughly and smoothly down with a sturdy pint, i'm a sickly lad
sip sip
 Knuckles, I'm with you! I belong to PETA=People Eating Tasty Animals! I want my steak dragged through the kitchen on a rope, still mooing! Or as a Tshirt I saw has it, 'There's a place for animals. Right next to the mashed potatoes'!

Careful, if you don't know the conditions of your food, it can be shocking ;) It is highly unlikely your steak will have the strength to resist being pulled, and it is most likely it can't move without extreme pain due to the way they are treated.
ProstrateInAwe Wrote:About Rosaries, is there anyone who can offer advice about a well loved rose-wood Rosary that is broken? Where can I get it repaired?

I can probably fix it. What is the problem?

http://rosary.freehostia.com/index.php?p=repair
I'm a vegan among us.  [Image: smile.gif]  
frerejacques Wrote:I'm a vegan among us.  [Image: smile.gif]  

Cool :-) It is somewhat difficult to find vegan Catholics. The lifestyle is too often associated with weird hippies or people saying animals are the same as humans.