Vegans among us
LaRoza Wrote:
frerejacques Wrote:I'm a vegan among us. [Image: smile.gif]

Cool :-) It is somewhat difficult to find vegan Catholics. The lifestyle is too often associated with weird hippies or people saying animals are the same as humans.

PETA has kind of hijacked the discourse about veganism, haven't they?

What do you do about fasting for Lent and on Fridays?   I just have smaller, simple, vegetable based meals.  The priests I've asked seem not to have a problem with it as long as the sacrifice is made with the correct intention, but I'm curious about what other people have heard.
frerejacques Wrote:PETA has kind of hijacked the discourse about veganism, haven't they?

What do you do about fasting for Lent and on Fridays?   I just have smaller, simple, vegetable based meals.  The priests I've asked seem not to have a problem with it as long as the sacrifice is made with the correct intention, but I'm curious about what other people have heard.

Eat less, mainly. I really only eat once a day each day anyway, so it is hard to really follow such guidelines.

I try to find other aspects of my live to regulate, like entertainment and such.
LaRoza Wrote:The lifestyle is too often associated with weird hippies or people saying animals are the same as humans.

I always have associated it more with snooty eliteness. The vegans I've ran into in the past shove the fact that they are vegan down your throat. But seeing as how two posters I admire have admitted to veganism in this topic, my outlook on veganism has changed.

Gman Wrote:I always have associated it more with snooty eliteness. The vegans I've ran into in the past shove the fact that they are vegan down your throat. But seeing as how two posters I admire have admitted to veganism in this topic, my outlook on veganism has changed.

Those are an extreme minority. For most vegans, the average person is extremely annoying. I hide that I'm a vegan, unless I need to prevent insult by not eating at certain functions, but in person and online people seem to feel a need to say the same old things. The "What do you eat?" and "How do you get your protein?" questions are recurring, but relatively inoffensive, however, we get a lot of people attacking our lifestyles for no reason. Often telling us why eating animals is fine for no apparent reason, and other anti-vegan things. In fact, vegans are more likely to be preached to, than to preach. Some vegans, like all people, are very vocal, but they don't come close to the average person to a vegan.

And thanks for the admiration, unless there are other two vegans you meant. :)
^^^
I think it was more had to do with the fact that those I came across recently turned vegan. Probably one of those zeal of a "new convert" type of things. It was/is nonetheless very annoying, though.

And you're welcome. I was referring to you and frerejacques.
Gman Wrote:^^^
I think it was more had to do with the fact that those I came across recently turned vegan. Probably one of those zeal of a "new convert" type of things. It was/is nonetheless very annoying, though.

And you're welcome. I was referring to you and frerejacques.

Yes, new converts to anything, especially the more different it is from the norm, results in sometimes the little dog syndrome (little annoying dog barking incessantly and jumping up and down by your ankles).

Sometimes, you'll be surprised by who is a vegan. Sometimes, it will come up, and people around me are also vegans and we never knew about each other.
Hi,everybody! This is my first post. I'm vegan. I found this sight searching for vegan Catholics!

Happy to be here!

I was once vegetarian of sorts, but that was mainly due to extreme distaste for my family's cooking growing up. Now, when I venture to restaurants, I take the opposite extreme: I eat viscera of all sorts (veal pancreas is my favorite), tendons, tongues (beef, duck), brains, whole frogs (minus bones), marrow, foie gras produced by force-feeding, sea slugs and cucumbers, ox tail, pork snout, chickens' feet, and even pigs' ears. I take Peter's vision as a personal dare applying to the whole of Christendom. At ethnic restaurants, I am constantly dissuaded from ordering as I please, and the owner sometimes comes out and bemoans how the young Americanized generation of Pakistani or Chinese or whatnot immigrants don't eat the old foods they used to.

And I still can't stomach a hotdog.
I am a vegetarian, not a vegan. I was a vegetarian for a few years back in my younger days, and about 5 years ago I became a vegetarian again. I simply can't handle the vegan diet, I always felt weak without any protein from eggs, cheese, etc.

I'd prefer not to cause suffering for animals (or anything, for that matter) and that is my main reason for being vegetarian. Is that a Christian idea? I sure think it is. I'm not trying to impose my diet/lifestyle on anyone else, so don't worry about me trying to shove my ideas down your throat. But I'm happy this way, and I feel a little more at peace with nature/the world in general living this way.
That's cool with me.For what it's worth. The Bible even says its cool.

Romans 14

13 Let us each stop passing judgement, therefore, on one another and decide instead that none of us will place obstacles in any brother's way, or anything that can bring him down.
14 I am sure, and quite convinced in the Lord Jesus, that no food is unclean in itself; it is only if someone classifies any kind of food as unclean, then for him it is unclean.
15 And indeed, if through any kind of food you are causing offence to a brother, then you are no longer being guided by love. You are not to let the food that you eat cause the ruin of anyone for whom Christ died.
16 A privilege of yours must not be allowed to give rise to harmful talk;
17 for it is not eating and drinking that make the kingdom of God, but the saving justice, the peace and the joy brought by the Holy Spirit.
18 It is the person who serves Christ in these things that will be approved by God and respected by everyone.
19 So then, let us be always seeking the ways which lead to peace and the ways in which we can support one another.
20 Do not wreck God's work for the sake of food. Certainly all foods are clean; but all the same, any kind can be evil for someone to whom it is an offence to eat it.
21 It is best to abstain from eating any meat, or drinking any wine, or from any other activity which might cause a brother to fall away, or to be scandalised, or to weaken.
22 Within yourself, before God, hold on to what you already believe. Blessed is the person whose principles do not condemn his practice.
23 But anyone who eats with qualms of conscience is condemned, because this eating does not spring from faith -- and every action which does not spring from faith is sin.

I pasted this from
http://www.catholic.org/bible/book.php?id=52

so there are groovy hidden links probably. it's my favorite passages when contention arises over diet.