Vegans among us
ThatOneGuy Wrote:That's cool with me.For what it's worth. The Bible even says its cool.

You might be interested in: http://www.drbo.org/ for the D-R and Vulgate.

Also:
Romans 14:20 Wrote:It is good not to eat flesh, and not to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother is offended, or scandalized, or made weak.

And before someone brings this up:

1 Timothy 4:1-5 Wrote:Now the Spirit manifestly saith, that in the last times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to spirits of error, and doctrines of devils, 2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy, and having their conscience seared, 3 Forbidding to marry, to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving by the faithful, and by them that have known the truth. 4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be rejected that is received with thanksgiving: 5 For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.
See the intent; it is condemning heretics who claim the flesh is evil and was not created by God.
Yes. I get this all the time. I'm on other forums,too. I stopped trying to justify my position a long time ago. Some folks seem to  forget that the diet has been advocated by many Saints, monks and Nuns ever since the inception of the Church.

Vegan...It's not just for lent anymore.[Image: jestera.gif]

I was a vegetarian for five years or so, but about a year ago I started eating meat again. :shrug:
That's Ok. Check out post #30 to see "Romans" passage about it.

I am a big time carnivore. I especially love wild game. My family and I enjoy venison, I love rabbit, squirrel, pheasant, grouse, quail, duck and goose. Elk and bear are good too. For those of you who have had venison and found it wanting; AGE IT PROPERLY AND DO NOT COOK IT BEYOND MEDIUM RARE (rare is better).[Image: wink.gif] But I love vegetarians too. All I eat are vegetarians.
Very interesting convo here!

When I was on my own, I did not buy meat very often at all, and relied on dairy and eggs and peanut butter (the all natural kind of course-which I had to give up 6 years ago) for my protein. Things changed when I got together with my DH who thinks he needs something dead with every meal.

Even now, on rare occasions when I make an all vego meal to eat for us, he goes into a panic and has been known to open a jar of tuna.

I feel some cognitive dissonance as I am somewhat aware of the inhumanity of industrialized farming and I hate to be a part of it. The amount of milk and meat we go through a week adds up in quantity and cost even though I feel like I am rationing it out. The cost of living here is eating us alive and organic milk and meat is hardly available, and we are paying premium prices for the regular type of dairy and meat as it is.

It would be such an effort to switch the family to vegetarian and ensure adequate protein intake for me in my state and the growing children. I don't feel like I have the margin in my life to do anything about this in the foreseeable future.

I try to buy all of my chicken free range which is readily available in mainstream grocery stores and I only buy free range eggs though.

I am very fussy with food in that I refuse to eat MSG as it repulses me which can sometimes become an inconvenience. I can't imagine how difficult it could get to be a vegan in the mainstream. I am a bit fastidious with regard to cleanliness (shoes are not allowed in my house and I don't touch door handles in public) which makes life difficult to and so I really should not try to become pickier.

Anyway, I do admire vegans even if I am not one. Thanks! This felt almost just as good as going to confession to say all this. :)
Eastern Rite Catholics & the Orthodox are about to go vegan until Pascha, always a challenge. The meat part is pretty easy for me, but the eggs and dairy are a KILL.

I usually don't make it without some slip-ups.  That's why we love Lent, right?  Exertion! 

[Image: doh.gif] and, DOH!!  I just violated the spirit of the Fast, which is to do it in secret. Lent isn't even here yet & I'm already in sin. Oy gevalt....

NewCatholic,  Love your avatar!
  [Image: beer2.gif] 
Why on earth would a catholic be a vegan? Unless there's some serious health reason for that, I don't see the point. Veganism is a recent fad associated with tree-hugers that can't tell the difference between a worm and a man. In my opinion, vegetarian catholics look kind of suspicious.

Catholics are omnivores. The only thing to avoid is gluttony.

Catholics are free to be vegetarians or vegans so long as they don't hold others to it as if it involved morality.

Many saints and religious orders lived vegetarian/vegan lifestyles. They did so for Penance.

Some people do it for health reasons.

Some do it because they don't like mean(or as one girl put it, she just hates plants)