Nicoise Potato Salad -- awesome.

3 pounds small red potatoes
4 green onions, chopped
3 T fresh parsley, chopped
2 cups fresh green beans, cooked
1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
3/4 cup Calamata olives, pitted
1/2 t dried dill
1/2 cup lemon vinaigrette (see recipe below)

Slice potatoes in 1/8" rounds and boil until tender. (Do not overcook. Mushy potatoes will not hold up in this salad.) Drain and cool under cold running water. In a large bowl, gently toss potatoes, onions, parsley, beans, tomatoes, olives and dill. Pour in lemon vinaigrette, mix and serve. This salad will keep overnight in the fridge but is best served immediately.

Lemon Vinaigrette

1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 t sugar

Mix all ingredients in a jar and shake well. Store in refrigerator until needed.

Dilled Green Beans

2 pounds fresh green beans, snapped
1 bunch green onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 T olive oil
2 T white wine
2 T fresh lemon juice
1/2 t dried dill weed
salt and pepper to taste

Steam beans in a large pot or place them in a microwave proof bowl, cover them with plastic, and cook on high for 3-5 minutes or until tender. In a large saucepan, saute onions and garlic in oil until tender. Add wine, lemon juice and dill. Then add beans, toss and season.

Linguini with Asparagus, Garlic and Lemon

1/2 cup onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 T olive oil
1 T butter
1/2 pound fresh asparagus
2 T dry white wine
1/2 t dried basil
1 T lemon juice
2 T parmesan cheese
1/3 pound linguini

In a skillet, saute onion and garlic in olive oil and butter until golden. Slice asparagus diagonally 1/4" thick and add to the skillet. Cook two minutes then add wine, basil and lemon juice, then add 1 T water. Cook linguini according to package directions, drain. Toss with asparagus, sprinkle with parmesan and enjoy. Serves two.

Note for vegans: I have found nutritional yeast flakes to be a good substitute for cheese in recipes like this.
LaRoza Wrote:
WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:
LaRoza Wrote:I'm a vegan. I haven't eaten the flesh of dead animals for years without any problems and in great health.

Surely you can get through two days a week ;)

Congratulations on your veganism.  I mean, really.  Wow.  Can I pat you on the back?  Just amazing.  Super.  Hootiehoo.

Now.  Any favorite recipes or ideas to share?

Well, to me, abstaining means just that. Sure, I could give you my favourite foods and preparations, but that would defeat the purpose, wouldn't it?

It isn't like hunks of dead flesh are a natural delicacy ;)

I also have a very simple life and diet. To me, plain Italian bread with extra virgin olive oil (first cold press only), is a great meal. I'm not one for complex recipes.

I am not a vegan but the idea of good bread with good olive oil makes my mouth water. Where do you get plain Italian bread and extra virgin olive oil(first cold press only) suitable for this purpose(I am assuming the extra virgin olive oil in the big jugs is not suitable). Do you add spices to your olive oil?
sheep101 Wrote:I am not a vegan but the idea of good bread with good olive oil makes my mouth water. Where do you get plain Italian bread and extra virgin olive oil(first cold press only) suitable for this purpose(I am assuming the extra virgin olive oil in the big jugs is not suitable). Do you add spices to your olive oil?

I try to find the bread in many places, so I can't give a single recommendation.

I get the olive oil from the grocery store, usually, http://coupons.smartsource.com/mnmedia/o...072707.htm

I do make bruschetta often, but usually just use plain oil.
Satori Wrote:And now, more vegetarian recipes.

Nicoise Potato Salad -- awesome.

3 pounds small red potatoes
4 green onions, chopped
3 T fresh parsley, chopped
2 cups fresh green beans, cooked
1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
3/4 cup Calamata olives, pitted
1/2 t dried dill
1/2 cup lemon vinaigrette (see recipe below)

Slice potatoes in 1/8" rounds and boil until tender. (Do not overcook. Mushy potatoes will not hold up in this salad.) Drain and cool under cold running water. In a large bowl, gently toss potatoes, onions, parsley, beans, tomatoes, olives and dill. Pour in lemon vinaigrette, mix and serve. This salad will keep overnight in the fridge but is best served immediately.

Lemon Vinaigrette

1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 t sugar

Mix all ingredients in a jar and shake well. Store in refrigerator until needed.

Dilled Green Beans

2 pounds fresh green beans, snapped
1 bunch green onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 T olive oil
2 T white wine
2 T fresh lemon juice
1/2 t dried dill weed
salt and pepper to taste

Steam beans in a large pot or place them in a microwave proof bowl, cover them with plastic, and cook on high for 3-5 minutes or until tender. In a large saucepan, saute onions and garlic in oil until tender. Add wine, lemon juice and dill. Then add beans, toss and season.

Linguini with Asparagus, Garlic and Lemon

1/2 cup onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 T olive oil
1 T butter
1/2 pound fresh asparagus
2 T dry white wine
1/2 t dried basil
1 T lemon juice
2 T parmesan cheese
1/3 pound linguini

In a skillet, saute onion and garlic in olive oil and butter until golden. Slice asparagus diagonally 1/4" thick and add to the skillet. Cook two minutes then add wine, basil and lemon juice, then add 1 T water. Cook linguini according to package directions, drain. Toss with asparagus, sprinkle with parmesan and enjoy. Serves two.

Note for vegans: I have found nutritional yeast flakes to be a good substitute for cheese in recipes like this.

I'm making this on Sunday, thanks.
Tonight it's linguine vongole (the austere po' folk type where I just use canned clams.)

Tomorrow, my son is going to make pizza

Friday night, if I don't make lentil soup, I'm going to make this:
Butternut squash lasagna

I'm going to try this recipe on Friday since my mom found some "Shelf-stable Gnocchi" for me. :) (I think I'll use the baby Spinach though, as I prefer it)

Skillet Gnocchi with Chard and White Beans
(Serves 6 with only  325 calories and 7g. fat per serving)

1 tablespoon(s) (plus 1 teaspoon) extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 (16-ounce) shelf-stable gnocchi
1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
4 clove(s) garlic, minced
1/2 cup(s) water
6 cup(s) chopped chard leaves (about 1 small bunch) or spinach
1 can(s) (15-ounce) diced tomatoes with Italian seasonings
1 can(s) (15-ounce) white beans, rinsed
1/4 teaspoon(s) freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup(s) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup(s) finely shredded Parmesan cheese

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add gnocchi and cook, stirring often, until plumped and starting to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.

Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and onion to the pan and cook, stirring, over medium heat, for 2 minutes. Stir in garlic and water. Cover and cook until the onion is soft, 4 to 6 minutes. Add chard (or spinach) and cook, stirring, until starting to wilt, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, beans and pepper and bring to a simmer. Stir in the gnocchi and sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan. Cover and cook until the cheese is melted and the sauce is bubbling, about 3 minutes.
ONeill Wrote:
sheep101 Wrote:I am not a vegan but the idea of good bread with good olive oil makes my mouth water. Where do you get plain Italian bread and extra virgin olive oil(first cold press only) suitable for this purpose(I am assuming the extra virgin olive oil in the big jugs is not suitable). Do you add spices to your olive oil?

I try to find the bread in many places, so I can't give a single recommendation.

I get the olive oil from the grocery store, usually, http://coupons.smartsource.com/mnmedia/o...072707.htm

I do make bruschetta often, but usually just use plain oil.

So the Pompeian olive oil is your favorite? Or are their other brands you like as well? So I'm thinking bread with a relatively hard crust, and soft core would be the best for this purpose, for example French Baguette, or perhaps go more Greek style and use pita bread(though its hard to find good pita bread in the U.S). I would think some hot peppers or curry would be really good mixed in with the Olive oil. Do you heat up your olive oil for dipping purposes or room temp or cold?
Please take a look at my website where you can download a free copy of an eBook called Meatless Meals for Lent or just go to this url:
www.catholichomeandgarden.com/meatless.exe and when prompted, enter the password repent in lower case letters.

I just updated it for 2009 after getting lots of requests for printable copies since the ebook is a little clumsy. Those, unfortunately, are available for a small fee at www.catholichomeandgarden.com

Paloma Wrote:There's 2 different kinds. There's the mashed potato kind which is a good way to use up leftover mashed potatoes. Mix mashed potatoes with cheese, lots of freshly ground cumin, and maybe a dash of chili powder to taste (or canned green chilies or salsa if you like.) I usually throw in a little garlic powder too. Warm up some corn tortillas in the microwave just so they are soft and can bend without breaking. Fill with the potato mixture and fold. You can either butter them and fry them in a pan that way or in a little oil. They come out soft and crispy at the same time (they are kind of like quesadillas with potatos in them.) I serve them with shredded lettuce, salsa, cheese, guacamole, or sour cream just strewn on top. Kinda messy. If I go to L.A., that is how I usually see them.

We did this tonight.  It was spectacular!  Thanks for the tip.
WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:
Paloma Wrote:There's 2 different kinds. There's the mashed potato kind which is a good way to use up leftover mashed potatoes. Mix mashed potatoes with cheese, lots of freshly ground cumin, and maybe a dash of chili powder to taste (or canned green chilies or salsa if you like.) I usually throw in a little garlic powder too. Warm up some corn tortillas in the microwave just so they are soft and can bend without breaking. Fill with the potato mixture and fold. You can either butter them and fry them in a pan that way or in a little oil. They come out soft and crispy at the same time (they are kind of like quesadillas with potatos in them.) I serve them with shredded lettuce, salsa, cheese, guacamole, or sour cream just strewn on top. Kinda messy. If I go to L.A., that is how I usually see them.

We did this tonight.  It was spectacular!  Thanks for the tip.

YES! I'm glad you liked it. You and the little frau will be west coast mexicans in no time. ;)