Recipe for abstinence
I know you're dying for it, so here's another sample of the nutritious, economical, no-flesh delights that will be enjoyed by the Satori family this Lent.

Tuna cakes.

Drain a can of tuna and empty it into a bowl. Add a splash of olive oil, one large egg, a torn-up piece of thick, hearty bread, several cloves of minced garlic (or as much or as little as you like), several chopped green onions (or part of a regular one), a couple dashes lemon juice, a spoonful of horseradish (the mushed-up kind you buy in a jar), a pinch of chopped parsley or a few shakes of the dried stuff, a few shakes of dill, a pinch of coarse salt and a few grinds of pepper. I also add about a quarter of chopped apple, but I'm a freak that way. Toss together till well tossed, form into patties, and fry over medium heat in plenty of olive oil. It can be tricky getting them to stay together, but they'll taste good anyway. If they seem to be falling apart too much for your liking, add another egg and that should fix 'em. The crispy brown stuff that sticks to the bottom of the pan is the best part.

More delicious recipes from the Bean Queen later.
Tortilla Espanola....

in a 1/2 " of EV olive oil, fry till cooked, but not browned, between 4 to 8 potatoes, sliced thinly ( depending on how big your frying pan is...have the pan filled a little more than half -way up) as well as 1/2 a large onion.

When cooked, salt and pepper it well.

Pour it all into a bowl of eggs ( 6 -10, again depends) that have been beaten well.

When all incorporated, pour all of this back into the frying pan... cook for about 10 minutes on med.low, making sure it doesn't stick.

When the center is still raw, put a dinner plate over the pan, pick it up, walk over to the sink, and flip it over.

Slide it back into the pan and cook another 5 minutes.

Good hot, warm, cold, for dinner, supper, breakfast, fast, slow, in a sandwich, in squares for tapas, or cut in wedges and served with a salad for a Lenten supper.

if you put ketchup on it don't tell me, I don't want to know.
libby Wrote:Tortilla Espanola....

Ketchup?  They should  be flogged! [Image: fish.gif]

Although, I will admit that I've served it with a little salsa, on the side, I prefer it with a little ali-oli.

Roy
This is an economical chowder I made for dinner last night.

2 carrots, chopped
1 onion, chopped
4 T butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups tomato juice
1 cup water
1 cup milk
1 can (6 oz.) tuna, drained
1 cup cheese

Melt butter in a big saucepan. Add carrots and onions; cook till onions are translucent. Stir in flour. Gradually add tomato juice, water and milk. Cook over low flame, stirring constantly, till thick and bubbly. Add tuna and cook until heated through. Stir in cheese till it melts. Season as you wish and serve.
Texican Wrote:
libby Wrote:Tortilla Espanola....

Ketchup?  They should  be flogged! [Image: fish.gif]

Although, I will admit that I've served it with a little salsa, on the side, I prefer it with a little ali-oli.

Roy

that's why I don't want to know.... my grandmother wouldn't just spin in her grave, she'd get out and beat me up.

when it's not Lent, I'll also fry up a little chorizo espanol in there too... and while it's not customary, garlic, like the ubiquitous little black dress, really does go with everything.
Satori Wrote:I know you're dying for it, so here's another sample of the nutritious, economical, no-flesh delights that will be enjoyed by the Satori family this Lent.

Tuna cakes.

Drain a can of tuna and empty it into a bowl. Add a splash of olive oil, one large egg, a torn-up piece of thick, hearty bread, several cloves of minced garlic (or as much or as little as you like), several chopped green onions (or part of a regular one), a couple dashes lemon juice, a spoonful of horseradish (the mushed-up kind you buy in a jar), a pinch of chopped parsley or a few shakes of the dried stuff, a few shakes of dill, a pinch of coarse salt and a few grinds of pepper. I also add about a quarter of chopped apple, but I'm a freak that way. Toss together till well tossed, form into patties, and fry over medium heat in plenty of olive oil. It can be tricky getting them to stay together, but they'll taste good anyway. If they seem to be falling apart too much for your liking, add another egg and that should fix 'em. The crispy brown stuff that sticks to the bottom of the pan is the best part.

More delicious recipes from the Bean Queen later.

Satori -

I actually made this today...this was delicious!!

You were right about the brown stuff on the bottom.... I growled at my kids and hogged it all for myself.....[Image: rollingpin.gif]

They got to eat the patties.

Thank you!!!!
libby Wrote:that's why I don't want to know.... my grandmother wouldn't just spin in her grave, she'd get out and beat me up.

when it's not Lent, I'll also fry up a little chorizo espanol in there too... and while it's not customary, garlic, like the ubiquitous little black dress, really does go with everything.

I always add some shaved garlic to my tortilla.  Not too much, since there's some in the ali-oli.  The chorizo is a good addition.  I like to slice some morcilla, to serve alongside the tortilla.  My only problem, is that it's kinda hard to get around here.
Texican Wrote:
libby Wrote:that's why I don't want to know.... my grandmother wouldn't just spin in her grave, she'd get out and beat me up.

I always add some shaved garlic to my tortilla.  Not too much, since there's some in the ali-oli.  The chorizo is a good addition.  I like to slice some morcilla, to serve alongside the tortilla.  My only problem, is that it's kinda hard to get around here.

oh, man.........morcilla.

pretty decent morcilla here....

www.laespanolameats.com  or you can go to a place in Toano, VA...forget what it's called...

oh, and the sobrasada!!

Ohf!
libby Wrote:oh, man.........morcilla.

www.laespanolameats.com  or you can go to a place in Toano, VA...forget what it's called...

oh, and the sobrasada!!

Ohf!

Do you mean La Tienda, in Williamsburg?

Sobrasada... [Image: gimmefood.gif]

You know what I miss?  Membrillo.
Texican Wrote:
libby Wrote:oh, man.........morcilla.

oh, and the sobrasada!!

Ohf!

Do you mean La Tienda, in Williamsburg?

Sobrasada... [Image: gimmefood.gif]

You know what I miss?  Membrillo.

That's it!

and if you don't want meats, they have the BEST cheeses... and baby colognes.

Membrillo ! - there was an open jar of it in my parent's kitchen 2 days ago - don't know if it's still there...:)