Um, ok...  how did I mess up my previous post? [Image: huh.gif]
Last night (and today's lunch) was Black Bean burgers.

1 can of mixed vegetables, drained and blended in a food processor into a coarse paste.
1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
small handful (3/4 cup-ish) quick-cook oats
3 eggs, loosely beaten
small handfull (3/4 cup-ish) of bread crumbs

Form into 6-8 patties, cook on a griddle.  Top with swiss cheese and serve on a hamburger bun.

This was a nice little cheapo meal and makes good leftovers.  You can even eat them cold with a liberal application of mayo.
did they hold together pretty well?
Texican Wrote:did they hold together pretty well?

They did, but you have to get the egg-to-bread-crumbs ratio correct.  It should be a little tighter than meatloaf, but basically the same consistency.  The eggs bond it together, the crumbs make the mixture dry enough to shape.

I originally wanted to omit the bread crumbs because I kind of think they're kind of lame.  I hoped that the oats would provide enough "body", but alas!  It was not so.
So, how many times did you attempt this, before you were successful?

I don't have canned vegetables, only frozen- I hope they work ok.

Oh, and no green peppers allowed!

On tonight's menu:
Cioppino v.2, 
Sundried tomato-crusted french bread (store bought- boo, hiss),  with a little garlic infused olive oil
Pasta (Barilla Plus) spaghetti, probably.

Accompanied by the left-over wine, and ice-cream sandwiches for dessert.

Wish I would have found some scallops and mussels...

Edit:  Well, that didn't work out like I planned.

Bugger

Another delicious Friday dish eaten in the Satori household:

about half a loaf of crusty bread, any kind you like
2 1/3 cups milk beaten thoroughly with
3 eggs
3 green onions, roughly chopped
1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar
seasonings

Cut the bread into chunks and submerge entirely in the milk and egg mixture. (I take a mixing bowl one size smaller than the one in which the bread is soaking and press it down in there on top of the bread.) Let soak for about an hour. Pour into a buttered baking dish (a brownie pan is good) and mix with chopped onions and whatever seasonings you fancy. Top with cheese and bake at 350 for about half an hour.
Recipe for abstinence
libby Wrote:That's it!

and if you don't want meats, they have the BEST cheeses... and baby colognes.

Membrillo ! - there was an open jar of it in my parent's kitchen 2 days ago - don't know if it's still there...:)

I wish they could still import jamon Iberico, although the price is quite steep.
Texican Wrote:
libby Wrote:That's it!

and if you don't want meats, they have the BEST cheeses... and baby colognes.

Membrillo ! - there was an open jar of it in my parent's kitchen 2 days ago - don't know if it's still there...:)

I wish they could still import jamon Iberico, although the price is quite steep.

I thought they just started back!

If not, I know that La Espanola has some domestic knock - offs that would do in a pinch.

hey, wait a minute.... aren't we supposed to be talking lentils and stale bread instead of the sweet succulent flesh of acorn - fed Pata Negra?!
libby Wrote:I thought they just started back!

If not, I know that La Espanola has some domestic knock - offs that would do in a pinch.
Doh!  Sorry, I misread.  They're still importing, but they're removing the "pata negra", now.
Quote: 
hey, wait a minute.... aren't we supposed to be talking lentils and stale bread instead of the sweet succulent flesh of acorn - fed Pata Negra?!

uh, yeah...  *walks away, sighing, and kicks the
dog cat*