Recipe for abstinence
Satori,

YUM. It sounds like a cheesy, savory bread pudding/custard. Plus, I'm all about dinners that don't require yet another trip to the store.
Texican Wrote:So, how many times did you attempt this, before you were successful?

I don't have canned vegetables, only frozen- I hope they work ok.

Oh, and no green peppers allowed!

Sorry, I just saw your post.

I think that frozen vegetables should work just fine, but you'll obviously have to thaw them first.  I don't know if I'd totally omit the green peppers; they give some necessary "body" to the patties.  If you insist, you should try to come up with something else that will keep some firmness when they're cooked.  Maybe some coarsely chopped portabello mushrooms or something.

My best advice is to only cook these on a griddle, don't try to do it on a real grill.  They'll totally fall apart that way. 
Satori Wrote:Another delicious Friday dish eaten in the Satori household:

about half a loaf of crusty bread, any kind you like
2 1/3 cups milk beaten thoroughly with
3 eggs
3 green onions, roughly chopped
1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar
seasonings

Cut the bread into chunks and submerge entirely in the milk and egg mixture. (I take a mixing bowl one size smaller than the one in which the bread is soaking and press it down in there on top of the bread.) Let soak for about an hour. Pour into a buttered baking dish (a brownie pan is good) and mix with chopped onions and whatever seasonings you fancy. Top with cheese and bake at 350 for about half an hour.

I'd like to eat dinner at your house.  Sounds delicious.
The savory bread pudding (for yes, that is what it is) is a very nice dish because it lends itself well to both poverty (or "oops, forgot to go to the store again!") and improvisation. You can truss it up however you like. Last night I made it with rosemary-flavored bread and it was awesome. Didn't need any other seasoning. It also works well for breakfast on a non-abstinence day with plenty of bacon.

I've got a savory cheesecake recipe around here somewhere too ...

Libby, I missed your post that you made tuna cakes. If you're reading this, tell me if they held together okay and if you made them with apples, which is the best way!
WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:Sorry, I just saw your post.

I think that frozen vegetables should work just fine, but you'll obviously have to thaw them first.  I don't know if I'd totally omit the green peppers; they give some necessary "body" to the patties.  If you insist, you should try to come up with something else that will keep some firmness when they're cooked.  Maybe some coarsely chopped portabello mushrooms or something.

My best advice is to only cook these on a griddle, don't try to do it on a real grill.  They'll totally fall apart that way. 

I'll probably try red peppers and mushrooms, if I don't forget to pick some up on the way home.

Mmmm!! 

I wonder how well this would work as a "meat" loaf?  I've got a recipe for rice that I want to try, too.  Along with a rice pudding dessert.

Beans and rice- my two favorit-est foods!
My only Lenten recipe breakthrough thus far has been covering an eggplant in garlic infused olive oil, it slowly in the oven, scooping out the flesh, and adding it to vegetable stew.  I seasoned it with a little basil and rosemary. 

I also made a great vegetable soup with lemony broth - it's good as long as you aren't using tomato or other acidic vegetables.  Again, seasoned with fresh basil and pepper, it was yummy.

I had part of a loaf of really good bread that had gotten hard as a rock, literally too hard to put my bread knife into. This is what I did with it:

Bread Soup

To start with, I had to make garlic broth. I peeled an entire head of garlic, split the cloves in half, and sauteed them over low heat till tender and transparent in enough olive oil to coat the bottom of my big skillet, stirring very frequently. Then I poured in six cups of water, brought it to a boil, lowered the heat and simmered it uncovered for 40 minutes.

To make the soup, I crushed three more cloves of garlic and sauteed them till brown in about half an inch of olive oil. To this I added a big can of diced tomatoes, plus juice, and plenty of dried basil and coarsely ground pepper. I brought them to a boil, lowered the heat, and cooked for another 15 minutes, frequently stirring. Then I took that great lump of hard bread (about a quarter of a loaf) and added it, together with the garlic broth. I cooked it till the bread was quite mushy and could be broken into pieces with a wooden spoon, then turned off the heat, covered the soup, and let it sit for a little while. Then I added a pinch of coarse salt and served it. Very tasty. The bread I used had a lot of rosemary in it, and that was such a nice addition that I think in the future I would add rosemary to the soup on purpose.

Not only is this soup very Lenten, it's the ultimate in economical dishes.

Libby, I missed your post that you made tuna cakes. If you're reading this, tell me if they held together okay and if you made them with apples, which is the best way!
[/QUOTE]
Satori -

and I missed this post till just now - because I was looking for the original recipe to make it again now!!

I made it just like you posted it, apples and all.

The only difference is that I replaced the horseradish with even more garlic.

Man, it was really good!!

The fact that I'm making it again should tell you!

[Image: waytogo.gif]
thank you!!

oh, and they held together just fine - kinda like a crab cake, not a salmon patty.. spikey, not furry.

does that make sense?

[Image: pazzo.gif]

No, madam, I try to avoid putting either spikes or fur in my food. Do you mean that salmon cakes are mushy and crab cakes are full of pointy bits of shell so that it's like eating something rolled in fingernail parings? Because I find that to be true. Truly penitential food, crab cakes.

You GOTTA try those tuna cakes with horseradish. That and the apple are what make 'em so good, in my opinion.
Satori Wrote:No, madam, I try to avoid putting either spikes or fur in my food. Do you mean that salmon cakes are mushy and crab cakes are full of pointy bits of shell so that it's like eating something rolled in fingernail parings? Because I find that to be true. Truly penitential food, crab cakes.

yep...[Image: laff.gif]

no, i meant that crab cakes have pieces of crab sticking out of them..spiky bits, because they're not all processed and smooth like salmon patties tend to be.

and if you look at a salmon patty closely( cracking myself up just thinking of that one), you'll see the "fibers" of the salmon all over.

.... in this house, orange juice is either "the good kind" ( no pulp), or "the hairy kind" (with pulp).

You GOTTA try those tuna cakes with horseradish. That and the apple are what make 'em so good, in my opinion.

I thought the apple was GREAT! I'll try horseradish next time - didn't have any, but I'll make sure to get some for next time.

[Image: waytogo.gif]