Recipe for abstinence
LaRoza, with all due respect, the OP asked for recipes. You come on, suggest no recipes and point out that you are a vegan and talk about hunks of dead flesh. What are we to think?
Walberg...

- Vietnamese Spring Rolls made with tofu or shrimp.

- Udon or soba noodles in a dashi/fish stock (store bought; I'm not that ambitious) with either spinach, kelp, or kitsune if you are into Japanese cuisine.

- Indian Biryani. Its a rice dish with lentils, chickpeas, and raisins or currants.

- Falafels - MY FAVORITE.

- Vegetarian (or pescatarian) sushi. I love making my own veggie rolls.

- Dr. Praeger's Burgers.

- Chimichanga (that's poor-man food right there but its good)

- Potato tacos or burritos. This is what Mexican mothers make the night before pay day. The deliciousness makes us forget we are broke.

- Linguine tossed with butter, parmesan, cracker pepper, and chopped fresh arugala

- A simple soup, crusty french bread, and a salad. I've heard good things about the Monastery soup cookbook. You can actually harvest some recipes to try off of its page on amazon in the "look inside this book" feature.

- Butternut squash lasagna or squash stuffed ravioli.

-Portabello mushroom burgers.

- Eggs on goldenrod. Old-school.

Anything sound good to FE's resident gourmand? ;)

Oh my gosh.....

I am in awe of Paloma's Friday cuisine....

Seriously. [Image: nonsumdignus.gif]
Spaghetti (or spaghettini) with a sauce made of olive oil in which you have sauteed two or three cloves of garlic and a roma tomato or two. For spaghetti al paedese throw in some fresh peas just long enough to warm them up as you're sauteeing the garlic (leave out the tomato on this).

Dust some fresh ground pepper and grated fresh parmesan or romano cheese on it!
LaRoza Wrote:
Paloma Wrote:I so hate it when vegans get self-righteous and try to refer to animal products using unappetizing terms. Yes we get it, you are a vegan. Mazel Tov

What should I say? I have no problems with other people eating whatever they want. Hunters don't bother me, and they know exactly what they are doing. It isn't like referring to dead animals as such is "unappetizing" unless you don't like them to begin with (meaning, only vegetarians would find that unappetizing).

I said "try." I wasn't grossed out. Only annoyed.

Quote:Now if you want to put away your misconceptions, and know what I meant, I was merely saying that abstinance to me means more than refraining from a particular form of food (ie, meat), but to refrain from the more pleasant forms of food, which can be anything. I fast and abstain, but do so in a different way. It didn't make sense to me to abstain from meat, while substituting other delicacies, even ones without meat.

WhollyRoaminCatholic isn't a vegan or a vegetarian. Just because he wants to enjoy his food doesn't mean that he is abstaining any less. What's the point of eating anything if it tastes like crap? Really, why eat it? You will not die if you miss 1 meal. I'd rather not eat than waste my time preparing and choking down something I purposely made to be terrible.

I love falafels...but probably not as much as I'd enjoy a nice grilled steak and a beer on any given friday night. If one feels like they've enjoyed their friday night meal a bit too much, they can always add some extra evening prayers.

Btw. He asked for recipes, not for the lowdown on your dietary preferences and how they relate to your ideas of what constitutes penance.

Quote:I hate it when non vegans get so judgemental and defensive when I mention my lifestyle... You all preach so much more.

I'm not judging you nor am I getting defensive. I just hate the posturing some vegans do. Do you care what other people eat? Do you really think they care what you eat? Its narcissism if you ask me.

I used to be a vegan but I never tried to guilt trip anyone by calling their food "hunks of dead flesh."

Sorry if I sound hostile. I'm not trying to be crabby - I'm just a raw nerve today.
Mommie2Boys Wrote:Oh my gosh.....

I am in awe of Paloma's Friday cuisine....

Seriously. [Image: nonsumdignus.gif]

Hahaha...thank you.

I haven't been in a cooking mood in the past couple months.

The most ambitious thing I've made lately is the chimichangas (I make a sauce for them that is 1 little tiny can of tomato JUICE, some very finely minced onion, and a good amount of oregano. Let it sit in the fridge for half an hour and drizzle that and sour cream over the chimichangas,) potato burritos (thinly sliced potatoes cooked in a pan with tomato sauce, a little cumin and oregano and cheese, then served in tortillas - a bit carby but good.) and my linguine dish with arugula.

Most of that other stuff is daydreaming at this point. ;)

Btw I wrote down your pomodoro recipe. Chopped black olives in sauce sounds so good right now. :laughing:

A recipe for delicious baked apples:
Get one granny smith apple per person
Remove all skin and cut out core to create a little "well" -- take care not to pierce all the way through the apple!
Put apples in glass pan with 1/8" of water on the bottom of the pan
cover apples in brown sugar and cinnamon
put a pat of butter with brown sugar inside the apple
put in oven @ 350 for approx. 15 minutes/until sugar beings to caramelize and apples are tender

Other veg-friendly treats: spinach and artichoke dip; portobello mushroom "burgers"; tomato and fresh buffalo mozzarella with fresh basil and drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar; bruschetta; and check out Mediterranean cuisine, ditto with Asian fare.

Perhaps buy a vegetarian cookbook. And never underestimate the power of a delicious bowl of cereal or a stack of pancakes. mmm!

omnibus Wrote:And never underestimate the power of a delicious bowl of cereal or a stack of pancakes. mmm!

My kids love breakfast for dinner. Anytime I make pancakes or french toast at night, they think mom has finally lost it. Sometimes I make ricotta pancakes to protein it up.

I also forgot about a recipe I haven't made in a while but my family loves it. I make it for breakfast or dinner when the situation calls for it. It sounds like caca-doodoo because it is a Weight Watchers recipe but I promise it is good:

Take a can of new potatoes, chop it up, cook it in a pan with a tiny bit of oil.

Add 1/2 a cup - 1 cup of salsa. Cook through. Salsa will thicken.

If you are talented, you can poach some eggs on top. If you are like me and don't like to take chances, poach some eggs separately and serve them on top.

Serve with tortillas.

I think its called Mexican Potato Hash and its only 7 points. ;)
Quote:Originally Posted by Paloma
My kids love breakfast for dinner. Anytime I make pancakes or french toast at night, they think mom has finally lost it. Sometimes I make ricotta pancakes to protein it up.

I remember when my mom did that, too! We were convinced she'd lost it.

You've posted some great suggestions, Paloma - I'm going to keep them handy. Good thing we're getting ready for dinner around here soon :eats:
Paloma Wrote:Btw. He asked for recipes, not for the lowdown on your dietary preferences and how they relate to your ideas of what constitutes penance.
That was the second part of my amusement, I have no recipes to speak of. My lifestyle is very simple.

Quote:I'm not judging you nor am I getting defensive. I just hate the posturing some vegans do. Do you care what other people eat? Do you really think they care what you eat? Its narcissism if you ask me.
So? I'm not posturing. I don't care what other people eat, I said I didn't. I don't think they care what I eat, but given the grief I get when I mention it, they do care.

I can't mention I'm a vegan without people getting defensive and telling me how eating animals is ok and why I'm strange. This is before I even mention any reasons for it...

Quote:I used to be a vegan but I never tried to guilt trip anyone by calling their food "hunks of dead flesh."
I wasn't trying to guilt trip, but make their days of abstination seem boring. Apparently, they had gone into a fish rut, and I was pointing out there is a whole world of food, and surely they can't be that bored without meat for only two days a week.

Quote:Sorry if I sound hostile. I'm not trying to be crabby - I'm just a raw nerve today.
I hope your day wasn't bad, and tomorrow is more enjoyable.

@OP Not sure how much advice I can give, but you may want to check out the canned or frozen vegetables in the store. You may find food you never thought of. I don't know of any specific things I can recommend, as I am not a good judge of what other people will like.

The best dish I can think of, that I regularly make, is spinach. Find some frozen spinich, get some olive oil, and a bit of garlic. You can prepare it several ways, but the easiest and fastest is to just microwave the spinach in a covered dish (time is on package usually), add oil to the top, and put the garlic in (don't microwave the oil).