Recipe for abstinence
Mmmm... this thread is making me hungry.  Here's a few of mine to add.  I don't cook with recipes usually, so here are descriptions of some favorite Friday meals.

Are you trying to do a low-carb/low-fat diet?  One of the things I like to do on Fridays is make Chinese-ish food.  I cook rice and meanwhile, heat frozen shrimp in a skillet until pink.  Shrimp goes on sale every couple of months or so, and the little ones are fairly inexpensive.  Then add vegetables (snow peas and scallions are standard, broccoli's good too) with some minced ginger, soy sauce, and a bit of flour in the skillet for about three minutes.

Another good but simple light meal:  For each person, cut a tomato into wedges, but don't cut all the way through the bottom so you have like a flower.  Stuff the tomatoes with tuna salad, then top each one with a slice of mozzarella and pop it in the oven until the cheese gets all melty and good.  Serve with crackers and raw veggies.

Baked potatoes with lots of toppings and salad.  (Yes, cheese-covered carbs!)

Pasta, pasta, pasta.  This is a favorite from my mother-in-law.  It is best in summer, but good now too.  Chop up a bunch of tomatoes, the riper the better, and garlic.  Let sit at room temperature for a couple of hours.  Cook angel hair pasta, top with tomatoes and crumbled feta cheese.  Really good with crusty bread to mop up the tomato juice.

Pizza.  This sounds weird, but canned Northern White Beans are SO GOOD on pizza!  My then-vegetarian friend ordered it when we were in Rome and we all loved it.  So you can get protein in that way.

So those are my Friday standards.  Hope that helps you out!

Thanks to this post, I happened to make a dish tonight I haven't made in eons. It was one of a few dishes I had back in Italy that's never left me. Sigh. While it calls for prosciutto, it would still taste delicious sans. When you're ready OP for more dairy laden starch, give this a whirl.

Boil pasta of choice (recommend long spaghetti for true Italian slurping amusement)

In a separate pan, put several pats of butter on med-low heat. once it starts to liquify, add in chopped onions and a splash of water. when the onions start to caramelize, (this is when you'd toss in prosciutto) add peas. let it simmer and cook for about 5 minutes.

Then add cream (not too much!). once it starts to froth, turn down the heat and add in shaved slices of parmesan cheese to melt.

Once pasta is finished, drain. then marry the sauce with the pasta. add additional parmesan if desired and salt and pepper to taste.

Buon appetito!
Quote:Originally Posted by SmileBugMG
Pizza. This sounds weird, but canned Northern White Beans are SO GOOD on pizza! My then-vegetarian friend ordered it when we were in Rome and we all loved it. So you can get protein in that way.

Yes!!! Agree!!! And don't forget the asparagus!

Edited to add: making pizza topped to include Northern White beans AND asparagus is delicious.
omnibus Wrote:Thanks to this post, I happened to make a dish tonight I haven't made in eons. It was one of a few dishes I had back in Italy that's never left me. Sigh. While it calls for prosciutto, it would still taste delicious sans. When you're ready OP for more dairy laden starch, give this a whirl.

Boil pasta of choice (recommend long spaghetti for true Italian slurping amusement)

In a separate pan, put several pats of butter on med-low heat. once it starts to liquify, add in chopped onions and a splash of water. when the onions start to caramelize, (this is when you'd toss in prosciutto) add peas. let it simmer and cook for about 5 minutes.

Then add cream (not too much!). once it starts to froth, turn down the heat and add in shaved slices of parmesan cheese to melt.

Once pasta is finished, drain. then marry the sauce with the pasta. add additional parmesan if desired and salt and pepper to taste.

Buon appetito!
 Sounds delish, but butter? I only put butter on storebought, sliced bread. Real bread gets warmed oil (maybe with some garlic) and I use only oil for cooking.
omnibus Wrote:Yes!!! Agree!!! And don't forget the asparagus!

Asparagus me?

I don't know about the pizza, asparagus is very good.
Quote:Originally Posted by jovan66102
Sounds delish, but butter? I only put butter on storebought, sliced bread. Real bread gets warmed oil (maybe with some garlic) and I use only oil for cooking.

Ooh! Very well spotted! Thanks, Jovan. Next time - oil it is. I agree - cooking with oil is far tastier. And you're right, butter is appropriate for pre-sliced bread...and baking.
LaRoza Wrote:I'm a vegan. I haven't eaten the flesh of dead animals for years without any problems and in great health.

Surely you can get through two days a week ;)

Vegans tend to be well-suited to that type of diet. Instead of being preachy, maybe you should consider that some people have different metabolism rates than yours. I have found an excellent site about the topic HERE.

Maybe vegans should eat a steak with a Guinness for penance. ;)
S.A.G. ~ Kathy ~ Sanguine-choleric. Have fun...or else.

Adoramus te, Christe, et benedicimus tibi, quia per sanctam crucem tuam redemisti mundum.
I love quiche...

quick...cheap and yummy.
leome Wrote:I love quiche...

quick...cheap and yummy.

We had a breakfast meeting at work yesterday so I made a ham and green onion quiche with a potato crust. I have also made a salmon frittata that was amazing when I had access to duck eggs. One of my kids is allergic to wheat, milk, chicken eggs, and corn, so I have to cook within those constraints.
S.A.G. ~ Kathy ~ Sanguine-choleric. Have fun...or else.

Adoramus te, Christe, et benedicimus tibi, quia per sanctam crucem tuam redemisti mundum.
How about an omelet with spinach, mushrooms, and sprinkled with crumbled feta cheese?

Or, saute some red and yellow bell peppers (I can't stand the green ones), along with some garlic, scallions and some grape tomatoes (in olive oil) and toss with some pasta, like spaghetti or linguini.

You can also saute some garlic, scallions and shrimp, in some un-salted butter and toss with the afore-mentioned linguine or spaghetti.

Of coarse, there's always the linguine with clam sauce (preferably white but, red will do).

Paloma, those potato tacos bring back memories.

Roy