Recipe for abstinence
Sometimes the simplest things are the best. I just love to toss some chopped onion and garlic (and bell peppers if I have them) around in a little olive oil and stir it into a dish of plain old kidney beans.

Another good, simple meal is this: Break eggs into custard cups, pour milk over them (or cream if you're not afraid of fat), sprinkle on a little salt and pepper and place the custard cups in a pan of water. Bake them at 350 till firm and serve them with toast or muffins.

If you don't have time for a real quiche, you can make a standard quiche filling and beat in about two cups of flour and a spoonful of baking powder. Then it makes its own crust as it bakes and is o so tasty.

Or how about biscuits topped with stewed tomatoes? That's one of my husband's favorites.

For a vegan alternative to a loaded baked potato, try mixing the potato with a heaping spoonful of nutritional yeast flakes and some olive oil, then topping the whole thing with caramelized onions.

And when I was in college and had no money, I used to saute carrots and onions in olive oil, put them on pasta or rice, and top them with a sauce I made from melted crunchy peanut butter with soy sauce and hot red pepper flakes. Sauteed carrots and onions are also great on a sandwich, with toasted whole grain bread, melted sharp cheese, and raw apple slices.

I do have to insist on the wonder of cheesy grits for dinner even though you said you didn't want any more carbohydrates topped with cheese.

I've been working away from home since late February, so Fridays have sometimes been a challenge.  Sometimes, it's easier to just not eat.

Then again, I had a wonderful little sandwich, not too long ago, that was just lettuce, tomato, provolone, and olive salad/relish on French bread.

Roy
Texican Wrote:I've been working away from home since late February, so Fridays have sometimes been a challenge.  Sometimes, it's easier to just not eat.

Then again, I had a wonderful little sandwich, not too long ago, that was just lettuce, tomato, provolone, and olive salad/relish on French bread.

Roy

Did you get that at the Holiday Inn Express?  :laughing:
S.A.G. ~ Kathy ~ Sanguine-choleric. Have fun...or else.

Adoramus te, Christe, et benedicimus tibi, quia per sanctam crucem tuam redemisti mundum.
Texican Wrote:Then again, I had a wonderful little sandwich, not too long ago, that was just lettuce, tomato, provolone, and olive salad/relish on French bread.

Roy
 Sounds good! Hope you get home soon.
We have been branching out lately too. Corn Chowder (minus the usual bacon), Clam Chowder, Butternut Squash Soup (1 squash, 5apples, bake til soft, then puree, 1/3c. maple syrup, cinnamon, 2tbsp butter and 1 pint of cream. Mix together and heat through. YUM!!!
Clam Chowder is cheap, quick and easy.
Manicotti.

Mmm...

Vegetarian chilli (include: tomato, peppers, corn, fried, broken-up tofu or fake ground beef, or both, chickpeas, and cashews; serve with whole grain pita), pizza with seafood (would this do it for your rut?), falafel (I realize I'm not the first to suggest it, though), grilled firm tofu with barbeque sauce and steamed vegetables with butter and lemon...

To add more substance to pasta dishes, try using whole grain pastas, if you don't already. This might make pasta-and-cheese fallbacks a little more filling and nice.

I personally do not thrive on soup alone, but lentil-tomato soup with fresh brown soda bread might be good to try if you are in the mood for a light meal only.

SH

Take bread. Spread mayo. Add tuna, salt, pepper. Voila

Recipe 2

Boil eggs. Slice them on bread with mayo and salt. Voila.

StevusMagnus Wrote:Take bread. Spread mayo. Add tuna, salt, pepper. Voila

Recipe 2

Boil eggs. Slice them on bread with mayo and salt. Voila.

Oh, Steve, you are the nicest person. You were a bachelor for a long time, weren't you?

Seriously, though, it's good to have a few recipes for when you're really in a hurry.
Recipe 3

Put microwave popcorn in microwave. Press button

(popcorn can be substituted for frozen meals).

Recipe 4

Open can of soup. Put in bowl. Microwave.

StevusMagnus Wrote:Recipe 3

Put microwave popcorn in microwave. Press button

(popcorn can be substituted for frozen meals).

Recipe 4

Open can of soup. Put in bowl. Microwave.

You stole my recipes!