Recipe for abstinence
I know you are trying to avoid a fish rut, but one of my favorite (and less well known) Friday meals is fish tacos- buy some fish sticks and bake according to directions. Warm up some corn tortillas in the oven at the last minute- put a couple  fish sticks, some shredded cabbage, and a little sour cream inside each tortilla- finish with a squeeze of lime, and serve with refried beans.

Also, "The Joy of Cooking" has an amazing recipe for an onion or leek pie- it's an egg and sour cream mixture that you pour into a pie shell over sauteed leeks or onions. The recipe calls for topping it with bacon, but I substituted Parmesan cheese instead, and it turned out wonderfully. Just serve with a simple green salad and you have a great meal.

StevusMagnus Wrote:Recipe 3

Put microwave popcorn in microwave. Press button

(popcorn can be substituted for frozen meals).

Recipe 4

Open can of soup. Put in bowl. Microwave.

That reminds me of this one recipe I have:

You take:

1 car and go to McDonald's.

Order 1 Filet of Fish and 1 Iced Tea.

Pull over to eat in secret at the side of the road.

Discard all evidence so nobody knows you ate a Filet o' Fish on purpose and enjoyed it.

Faithful_Hannah Wrote:I know you are trying to avoid a fish rut, but one of my favorite (and less well known) Friday meals is fish tacos- buy some fish sticks and bake according to directions. Warm up some corn tortillas in the oven at the last minute- put a couple  fish sticks, some shredded cabbage, and a little sour cream inside each tortilla- finish with a squeeze of lime, and serve with refried beans.

Also, "The Joy of Cooking" has an amazing recipe for an onion or leek pie- it's an egg and sour cream mixture that you pour into a pie shell over sauteed leeks or onions. The recipe calls for topping it with bacon, but I substituted Parmesan cheese instead, and it turned out wonderfully. Just serve with a simple green salad and you have a great meal.

I had total deja vu over your MacGuyvered fish tacos.

This is a recipe from my early teen years:
[Image: kimgordontunatacossassy.jpg]
Paloma Wrote:Discard all evidence so nobody knows you ate a Filet o' Fish on purpose and enjoyed it.
 Actually, for reasons even I've never been able to figure out, I really enjoy MickeyD's Filet-o-Fish! In fact, on Friday, that's often what I think of first!
jovan66102 Wrote:
Paloma Wrote:Discard all evidence so nobody knows you ate a Filet o' Fish on purpose and enjoyed it.
 Actually, for reasons even I've never been able to figure out, I really enjoy MickeyD's Filet-o-Fish! In fact, on Friday, that's often what I think of first!

Moi aussi. I've never been able to figure out why they are so good. By all know laws of physics, they shouldn't be. Its a mystery.
Paloma Wrote:
StevusMagnus Wrote:Recipe 3

Put microwave popcorn in microwave. Press button

(popcorn can be substituted for frozen meals).

Recipe 4

Open can of soup. Put in bowl. Microwave.

That reminds me of this one recipe I have:

You take:

1 car and go to McDonald's.

Order 1 Filet of Fish and 1 Iced Tea.

Pull over to eat in secret at the side of the road.

Discard all evidence so nobody knows you ate a Filet o' Fish on purpose and enjoyed it.

I accidentally ordered the wrong combo once (ordered a #10 instead of a 10-piece meal) and got a fillet of fish.  It had cheese on it.  Fried fish and cheese on a bun.  I was not impressed.

I await the casting of your stones.  Yes, I have visited the Golden Arches a time or two.
Paloma Wrote:
jovan66102 Wrote:

Moi aussi. I've never been able to figure out why they are so good. By all know laws of physics, they shouldn't be. Its a mystery.

It's the damnedest thing, isn't it?  They are good.

Aside: the McRib sure ain't what it used to be.
Ahem. Paloma, could I have your potato taco recipe? Please? :)
I can't stand fish, so abstaining has become an exercise in simplicity/creativity. ;)

Deidre Wrote:Ahem. Paloma, could I have your potato taco recipe? Please? :)
I can't stand fish, so abstaining has become an exercise in simplicity/creativity. ;)

Its not really a recipe, per se. You just start making them and doctor it as you go.

There's 2 different kinds. There's the mashed potato kind which is a good way to use up leftover mashed potatoes. Mix mashed potatoes with cheese, lots of freshly ground cumin, and maybe a dash of chili powder to taste (or canned green chilies or salsa if you like.) I usually throw in a little garlic powder too. Warm up some corn tortillas in the microwave just so they are soft and can bend without breaking. Fill with the potato mixture and fold. You can either butter them and fry them in a pan that way or in a little oil. They come out soft and crispy at the same time (they are kind of like quesadillas with potatos in them.) I serve them with shredded lettuce, salsa, cheese, guacamole, or sour cream just strewn on top. Kinda messy. If I go to L.A., that is how I usually see them.

The other way I make them is actually how I make tacos but I just leave the meat out. When I make tacos the regular way, I often put potatoes in to stretch the meat (thats mexican style.) If we are going meatless I dice up some potatoes and onions, cook in a pan with some oil. I add salt, pepper, garlic, lots of freshly ground cumin, maybe a dash of chili powder, sometimes I throw in some red peppers. If it is looking a bit dry I'll add some salsa or tomato sauce (and doctor up accordingly.) Needless to say, it comes out wildly different everytime I make it, but the cumin is the key (if you don't like cumin - I can't help you.) I make crispy taco shells in a bit of oil, salt them, stuff with the potatoes and top with the usual taco toppings.

I usually serve them with refried beans on the side since mexican rice requires the use of chicken stock, though, I'm going to try to make a batch with vegetable stock and see if it doesn't crap everything up.

Wow, there's a lot of creative ideas here.

Some of my simple standbys are taking taking an egg, whisking it in a small bowl, microwave it for about a minute. Throw a slice of cheese on it, and let it melt. If I don't eat it out of the bowl, I throw it in a toasted buttered bagel and eat it as a sandwich. Other than that, it's usually giant pancakes and FiberOne chocolate bars. Oh, and I can't forget the Veggie Fajita Bowl at Chipotle.