Recipe for abstinence
Gman Wrote:Wow, there's a lot of creative ideas here.

Some of my simple standbys are taking taking an egg, whisking it in a small bowl, microwave it for about a minute. Throw a slice of cheese on it, and let it melt. If I don't eat it out of the bowl, I throw it in a toasted buttered bagel and eat it as a sandwich. Other than that, it's usually giant pancakes and FiberOne chocolate bars. Oh, and I can't forget the Veggie Fajita Bowl at Chipotle.
You reminded me. Those seven-layer burritos at Taco Bell are mighty tasty. So are the Mexican "pizzas" without meat. 
Satori Wrote:You reminded me. Those seven-layer burritos at Taco Bell are mighty tasty. So are the Mexican "pizzas" without meat. 

Oh Taco Bell is the bomb! You can ask them to make just about anything without meat, or two substitute beans for the meat and they will. Even the basic little meat, cheese and lettuce tacos taste really good with beans instead of meat. [Image: gimmefood.gif]
Mommie2Boys Wrote:
Satori Wrote:You reminded me. Those seven-layer burritos at Taco Bell are mighty tasty. So are the Mexican "pizzas" without meat. 

Oh Taco Bell is the bomb! You can ask them to make just about anything without meat, or two substitute beans for the meat and they will. Even the basic little meat, cheese and lettuce tacos taste really good with beans instead of meat. [Image: gimmefood.gif]

Man.

Talk about penance.
WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:
Mommie2Boys Wrote:

Man.

Talk about penance.

Taco Bell is one of those unfortunate things that sound like a good idea at the time...

The tostadas are meatless and relatively safe, but rarely am I desperate enough. And by desperate enough, I mean "on weight watchers and starving," and taco bell is one of the few fast food places where I know some point values off the top of my head. 1 taco + 1 pintos and cheese = 6 points.
 Actually, a seven-layer burrito with rice and beans on the side is usually what I think of after I think of a filet-o-fish!
I rustled up my lovely monastic cookbook and am going to share my favorite recipe, "Red Beans in Wine." It is truly luxurious.

Ingredients:
4 cups dry red beans                   1 tablespoon flour
6 tablespoons butter                   1 bottle of red wine
4 onions, sliced                          salt and pepper to taste

Soak the beans overnight. Cook them in salted water for about 1 and a half to 2 hours, until they are tender. Drain.

Melt the butter in a [large, deep] saucepan and lightly brown the onions, then remove with a slotted spoon. Add the flour and stir to make a roux. Add the wine slowly, continuing to stir until the mixture is a smooth sauce.

Add the beans and onions. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring from time to time so beans on bottom do not burn. Serve hot with rice, fish, or eggs. Six servings.

(This makes a fine accompaniment to the eggs baked in milk that I mentioned earlier in this thread.) 
AdoramusTeChriste Wrote:Did you get that at the Holiday Inn Express?  :laughing:

I wish...  Just a little cafe, in the middle of nowhere. [Image: sad.gif]

Thanks Jovan but, it doesn't look like I'll be home soon.  I should be home for Thanksgiving and Christmas, though. 

I think.

Roy

p.s.  another quick Friday recipe:

Cottage cheese and corn chips (preferably, On the Border brand chips)

Dip chip into cottage cheese and enjoy.
You can substitute the cheese with tuna, out of a can.
Just add a little hot sauce, to taste.
Just to aggrivate the hippies.... Take a nice size oak tree, chop it into pieces, and continue to chop it down until its in nice bite-size pieces. Goes great with french onion or ranch.
Texican Wrote:Thanks Jovan but, it doesn't look like I'll be home soon.  I should be home for Thanksgiving and Christmas, though. 

I think.

Roy

I keep telling you Yanks, Thanksgiving was last month! :laughing:
 Seriously, hope you do make it home for your Yank imitation Thanksgiving.
Satori Wrote:I rustled up my lovely monastic cookbook and am going to share my favorite recipe, "Red Beans in Wine." It is truly luxurious.

Ingredients:
4 cups dry red beans                   1 tablespoon flour
6 tablespoons butter                   1 bottle of red wine
4 onions, sliced                          salt and pepper to taste

Soak the beans overnight. Cook them in salted water for about 1 and a half to 2 hours, until they are tender. Drain.

Melt the butter in a [large, deep] saucepan and lightly brown the onions, then remove with a slotted spoon. Add the flour and stir to make a roux. Add the wine slowly, continuing to stir until the mixture is a smooth sauce.

Add the beans and onions. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring from time to time so beans on bottom do not burn. Serve hot with rice, fish, or eggs. Six servings.

(This makes a fine accompaniment to the eggs baked in milk that I mentioned earlier in this thread.) 

I'm going to try this.

I eat beans every day. The Mexican stereotype is true! (actually it isn't, I just like beans.) But this sounds...interesting.