Recipe for abstinence
Bump.

Lent is coming.
LaRoza Wrote:I'm a vegan. I haven't eaten the flesh of dead animals for years without any problems and in great health.

Surely you can get through two days a week ;)
Hey, if you see a delicious roast turkey and you call it a dried up ol' vulture, that's just a spin you're puttin' on it there, Mr. ONeill. [Image: gimmefood.gif]
But I have a Vegan special; cheap, easy and very satisfying if I do say so.

A bag of rinsed green beans boiled in water with a couple of veggie bullion cubes for a few minutes, then let it set until you get the other stuff done.

Rinse, chop up and fry carrots, leeks and collard greens. Add it to your slow cooker with the beans and let her go on low for the day.

It's much better than it sounds, really.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
Jacafamala Wrote:
LaRoza Wrote:I'm a vegan. I haven't eaten the flesh of dead animals for years without any problems and in great health.

Hey, if you see a delicious roast turkey and you call it a dried up ol' vulture, that's just a spin you're puttin' on it there, Mr. ONeill. [Image: gimmefood.gif]

A bag of rinsed green beans boiled in water with a couple of veggie bullion cubes for a few minutes, then let it set until you get the other stuff done.

Rinse, chop up and fry carrots, leeks and collard greens. Add it to your slow cooker with the beans and let her go on low for the day.

I hope so, because it sounds nasty. :)
My veggie chili goes over well...

1 or 2 cloves Garlic chopped
Med Onion cubed
I can tomatoes
I can tomato sauce
I can black beans (or chick peas)
I can kidney beans
A cup or so of frozen corn
1/2 fresh green pepper chopped
Chili powder to taste

Saute garlic and onion in oil until golden, add everything else. Cook for 1/2 an hour or so. I serve it with brown rice.
Serves 4 people.
I was going to make an "austere soups" thread for this purpose. Oh, well.

Split Pea Soup -- from Satori, Queen of Beans

1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 T olive oil
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 cups green split peas
8 cups water or vegetable stock
1 T vegetable broth powder [I've never bothered with this.]
1 t dried thyme
1/4 t black pepper
1/2 t salt

In a large soup pot, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add carrots, cook another minute. Pour in water or stock and peas and seasonings. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until peas are soft. The longer this soup cooks, the better it tastes.

I need to figure out the measurements for my lentil burgers recipe -- then I'll share that as well.
Reichsjager Wrote:
Jacafamala Wrote:

I hope so, because it sounds nasty. :)
Yeah I know well maybe so. But in all honesty, I prefer this to pea soup made with the ham bone. And that's really all it is: pea soup sans bone. Satori's recipe reminded me that I forgot the garlic.

Edited to add: instead of split peas, you can do roughly the same thing with a can of unsweetened pumpkin, and make pumpkin soup. And if you like, add a little milk or cream towards the end for cream of pumpkin soup.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
Satori Wrote:I was going to make an "austere soups" thread for this purpose. Oh, well.

Split Pea Soup -- from Satori, Queen of Beans

1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 T olive oil
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 cups green split peas
8 cups water or vegetable stock
1 T vegetable broth powder [I've never bothered with this.]
1 t dried thyme
1/4 t black pepper
1/2 t salt

In a large soup pot, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add carrots, cook another minute. Pour in water or stock and peas and seasonings. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until peas are soft. The longer this soup cooks, the better it tastes.

I need to figure out the measurements for my lentil burgers recipe -- then I'll share that as well.

This looks good.  I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOve Split Pea soup.  I always make mine with ham; it's never occured to me to make it vegetarian.  It's going on the list.
I love split pea soup, too. Even the gross Campbell's stuff that looks like special effects for a '70s horror flick. This vegetarian soup is the best, especially if you pile on the thyme (well, I like thyme a lot).

For an experiment, I made bread soup the other day. Yes, bread soup -- the ultimate in I-have-no-money-and-haven't-gone-grocery-shopping-all-month cooking! It was great. I'm going to try the vegetarian version, and if it turns out delicious I'll share that as well. But tomatoes, bread, garlic -- hard to go wrong!

Jaca, do you ever make a soup with pureed sweet potatoes, orange juice and cinnamon? Your mentioning pumpkin soup made me think of it. I used to make this and loved it, but menfolks don't seem to like it much. Also it has a chicken broth base, and it might be a little weak without.
Try this link: http://www.catholicmom.com/lent_recipes.htm
My official cheap student soups:

Potato soup (3 servings)

1 small onion
2 red potatoes, diced but not peeled
About 3 tbsp of olive oil
2-3 tbsp flour
1 cup milk
2 cups water
2 chicken or veggie buillion cubes
About 1 tsp rosemary
salt and pepper to taste

Sautee the onion in some olive oil on med-low until it becomes translucent. Add a little more oil. Add the flour. Make sure there is enough oil to make a sort of paste with the flour onions and oil. Cook for 1 minute or so, until golden. Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 10-15 minutes--until potatoes are tender. At this point I usually use a potato masher to smoosh some of the potatoes.

Curry carrot soup (lots of servings)

I don't have exact amounts on this, but here goes anyway.

1-2 onions, depending on size
1-2 cloves of garlic
Enough butter or olive oil to sautee onions and garlic
2-3 cups of diced carrots
Enough chicken broth to cover plus a little (or you can use water and buillion, or veggie broth)
salt and pepper to taste
curry powder to taste (probably 1-2 tbsp?)
a touch of cumin
a touch of chili flakes if desired.

Dice the onions and garlic and sautee them in butter or olive oil until translucent. Add carrots and continue sauteeing for a few minutes. Add remaining ingredients and simmer until carrots are very tender. Use a food mill or blender to almost-puree most of the carrots and stir the soup well. Serve with crusty bread of some kind.

I love soup threads!! :-)