Thanksgiving Recipes
Paloma - how much nuts do you put in your pecan pie? I always find that most pecan pies are too heavy on syrup, too light on the nuts. I double the amount that was originally called for in my recipe.
Schatz Wrote:Paloma - how much nuts do you put in your pecan pie? I always find that most pecan pies are too heavy on syrup, too light on the nuts. I double the amount that was originally called for in my recipe.

I like that style but nobody around here likes the kind of pie where the nuts are chopped up inside. I've tried it and they complain - family, friends, family friends, etc. I use whole nuts and fan them out on the top, but I don't make my pie thick so the syrup/sugar to pecan ratio stays pretty good (I sometimes use a bigger pan but keep the recipe measurements the same.) I get the 3 lb bag of pecans from Costco and I end up using almost half the bag if that gives you an idea.
Mommie2Boys Wrote:Satori, I just got this recipe in my Thanksgiving issue of Better Homes and Gardens...it's a twist on the Pumpkin Pie that sounds divine. :)

Pumpkin Chocolate Cheesecake Pie
  • 1  recipe Deep Dish Pie Pastry, below
  • 12  oz. cream cheese, softened (1-1/2 8-oz. pkgs.)
  • 1/4  cup granulated sugar
  • 1  egg, lightly beaten
  • 3/4  cup finely chopped semisweet chocolate or miniature chocolate pieces
  • 1  15-oz. can pumpkin
  • 2/3  cup packed brown sugar
  • 2  tsp. pumpkin pie spice
  • 4  eggs, lightly beaten
  • 3/4  cup half-and-half or light cream
  •   Chopped chocolate (optional)
Directions

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Prepare and roll out Deep Dish Pie Pastry. Transfer pastry to a 9-1/2- to 10-inch deep-dish pie plate. Trim crust edge 1/2-inch beyond pie plate. Flute edge high. Line pastry with double thickness of foil. Bake 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 6 minutes more or until golden. Cool on wire rack. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees F.

2. In medium mixing bowl combine cream cheese, 1/4 cup sugar, and 1 egg; beat on low speed until smooth. Spread cream cheese mixture in cooled pastry shell. Sprinkle with chopped chocolate.

3. In bowl combine pumpkin, brown sugar, and spice. Stir in 4 eggs. Gradually stir in half-and-half. Slowly pour pumpkin mixture on chocolate layer. To prevent overbrowning, cover pie edge with foil.

4. Bake 60 to 65 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Remove foil. Cool on wire rack. Cover and refrigerate within 2 hour. Top with chopped chocolate.

Deep Dish Pie Pastry:In medium bowl, stir together 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Using pastry blender or two knives cut in 6 tablespoons shortening until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon cold water over part of flour mixture; gently toss with fork. Push moistened dough to side of bowl. Repeat, using 1 tablespoon water at a time, until all flour is moistened (5 to 6 tablespoons total). Form into ball. On lightly floured surface, flatten dough. Roll pastry from center to edge into 13-inch circle. Serves 8.

Pumpkin cheesecake is good. The restaurant I used to work in served a caramel pumpkin cheesecake with a praline crust. It was definitely good stuff.

I've never made a cheesecake before though. I'll try it sometime soon but its one of the few pastry/desserts/cakes I'm content just buying. :laughing:
WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:My wife volunteered to bring a side-dish to her folks' dinner this year.  After pouring through cookbooks, recipe cards, the internets, newspaper, magazines and asking around for advice, she looked at me and said "What goes into green-bean casserole?"  That's my girl! 

You don't mess with what works.  :)

WhollyRoamin, that is just too funny!! I too, am a trad when it comes to Thanksgiving, but since my husband's birthday was yesterday, and we have a huge ol chocolate cake with vanilla icing, that will still be desert on Thursday.

Here is a nice recipe for some squash soup which I will post later.
Mashed Potizzels:

Satori Wrote:I actually enjoy Tofurkey.

Quote:http://www.creativeminorityreport.com/20...urkey.html  
Save the Tofurkey! Vegetarians around the planet were horrified to learn today that the popular Thanksgiving dish for vegetarians called Tofurkey doesn't actually derive from the vegetarian bean curd known as Tofu but from a very small and extraordinarily cute endangered species called the Tofurkey.

This is the first photo of a Tofurkey taken at a farm in Rhode Island just moments before it was skinned, torn limb from limb, had its eyes removed while still alive, and was finally dipped in boiling oil.[Image: tofurkey+candidate.jpg]

A tofurkey farm is not a typical farm. The tofurkey is extraordinarily cute and very inexpensive to keep because they're fed exclusively by hugs and smiles. "That's all they need," said one tofurkey farmer. "And they've got these huge expressive eyes that melt your heart." It's those expressive eyes that make "slaughter season" very hard for tofurkey owners.

Most tofurkeys spend their days playing with balloons, blowing bubbles, and singing in high pitched angelic voices. "They don't speak English or nothing but sometimes just listenin' to 'em makes me think about puppies and angels," said one tofurkey owner.

The misunderstanding for vegetarians originated because of the similarities between the names Tofurkey and Tofu. One Tofurkey farmer said he never lied about where Tofurkey came from but he's glad to profit from the misunderstanding. "I think those wacky vegetarians just wanted to believe they were eating Tofu and I wasn't about to tell 'em no different."

He said that back when his "product" began doing brisk business he wondered why. "I know those little cute tofurkeys don't really taste so good so I wondered why so many people was eating 'em. But hey, who am I to complain?"

Vegans and vegetarians have been shocked and horrified at the discovery of this Tofurkey farm. "Every time I ate Tofurkey on Thanksgiving I felt so principled and better than everyone else," said one vegetarian. "I'm going to miss that feeling."
1- butternut squash
5-lbs apples
1/3 C. maple syrup
2-tbsp butter
1-stick cinnamon
1-pint cream
1-quart chicken broth or vegetable stock

bake apples and squash until soft. Puree. Add stock, butter, cinnamonstick and maple syrup. Heat through. When heated, add cream, Stir and serve.
Very Yum!

I don't know if you guys read Bacon Today, but I do.  SHUT UP!  I'M STARVING. 

Presenting the Turbaconducken. That’s right — a chicken stuffed in duck stuffed in a turkey, all wrapped in bacon.

http://bacontoday.com/turbaconducken-tur...-in-bacon/

[Image: logo.gif]

[Image: cooked-side-2-300x200.jpg]
WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:I don't know if you guys read Bacon Today, but I do.  SHUT UP!  I'M STARVING. 

Presenting the Turbaconducken. That’s right — a chicken stuffed in duck stuffed in a turkey, all wrapped in bacon.

http://bacontoday.com/turbaconducken-tur...-in-bacon/

[Image: logo.gif]

[Image: cooked-side-2-300x200.jpg]

Oh my gosh that is the most barftastic thing I have seen all day. [Image: puke.gif]
Make it a bacon Thanksgiving. Hmm, I like that.