Losing weight on Atkins
OK, I turn 40 next year and figure if I don't lose my excess baggage now my health is going to deteriorate rapidly as I get even older.

So, I'm planning to start Atkins sometime after Thanksgiving.  I looked into a bunch of different diets, and Atkins is the one that makes the most sense to me.

Anyone have any personal anecdotes about Atkins?  Any tips or hints?  Any good or bad things to say?

Atkins was a fad and dangerous, I wouldn't recommend it. (I am a certified personal trainer).

What I suggest is this:

* Cut out all refined sugar and flour. If it says "enriched flour", "high fructose corn syrup", or others, don't eat it (especially, don't eat it alone).

* Cut out all processed "meats". If you can't tell what it is, don't eat it. I'm a vegan, but even the most staunch meat eater should not touch hot dogs, etc. Get good cuts of meat.

* Eat vegetables with every meal. Preferable fresh, but frozen and canned (with no sugar, syrup, and try to get no salt added) are good as well. Eat them first, and then cooked vegetables, then to meat, and bread and pastries last if at all. Fruit is also good (although, this time of year, hard to get).

If you do do the atkins diet, do not count vegetables and fruit at all in your "carb" purge. A quick look at Atkins himself should tell you it is not an ideal diet. I use the advice of Norman Walker (vegan, raw foodist) and Ori Hofmekler (Warrior Diet).

I recommend the books http://www.amazon.com/Warrior-Diet-Ori-H...0938045350 and http://www.amazon.com/Diet-Salad-N-W-Walker/dp/0890190348/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1227648781&sr=1-4

Live active, be happy. Don't join the Atkins masochist brigade.
If you have a fast metabolism, Atkins is the way to go. It is the only diet that works for me, and it has to become more of a lifestyle than a diet. The first two weeks are grueling, but take comfort in the fact that any nutritionally sound eating plan will ask you to begin at the Atkins beginning phase eating plan in an effort to stabilize your insulin levels- translation: very, very low carb. The way I dealt with it was to find the lowest carb veggies possible, such as bean sprouts, so I could maximize the quantity of allowed carbohydrates. After 2 weeks you add 5 grams of carbs back in every week until you find your perfect mix of protein, fat, and carbs.

My personal experience on this diet was nothing short of phenomenal. Even better, my husband's success on it likely saved his life. His triglyceride levels were literally off the charts. His doctor told him to go on a weight-loss diet and handed us a diet that was high carb and low fat- so much worse than what we would normally eat. I did some research and we decided to do Atkins instead and we did it together. Within 2 weeks dh had lost 25 pounds and by the time a month was up his triglyceride levels were in the normal range. w00t! I like the guy, ya' know?

For me, the diet was a God-send as well. Because I had undiagnosed food allergies, my health improved tremendously on Atkins because most of the stuff I am allergic to is not allowed (read: wheat, corn, and milk). I lost about 20 pounds in 3 weeks and 55 in about 6 months. The initial weight loss for my husband and I was likely due to losing retained water. Anti-Atkins gurus are usually quick to make that point, but water retention is not a good thing. It can elevate blood pressure for one thing, and it is an indication that inflammation is present in the body for another. Getting rid of excess fluid retention is a good thing. Getting rid of fat is icing on the cake, so to say (teehee).

Drawbacks: snacks. It is hard to find convenient snacks. Stay away from the protein bars- they will impede your progress. It is also hard to get started, but that is true for any eating plan.

S.A.G. ~ Kathy ~ Sanguine-choleric. Have fun...or else.

Adoramus te, Christe, et benedicimus tibi, quia per sanctam crucem tuam redemisti mundum.
LaRoza Wrote:Atkins was a fad and dangerous, I wouldn't recommend it. (I am a certified personal trainer).

What I suggest is this:

* Cut out all refined sugar and flour. If it says "enriched flour", "high fructose corn syrup", or others, don't eat it (especially, don't eat it alone).

* Cut out all processed "meats". If you can't tell what it is, don't eat it. I'm a vegan, but even the most staunch meat eater should not touch hot dogs, etc. Get good cuts of meat.

* Eat vegetables with every meal. Preferable fresh, but frozen and canned (with no sugar, syrup, and try to get no salt added) are good as well. Eat them first, and then cooked vegetables, then to meat, and bread and pastries last if at all. Fruit is also good (although, this time of year, hard to get).

If you do do the atkins diet, do not count vegetables and fruit at all in your "carb" purge. A quick look at Atkins himself should tell you it is not an ideal diet. I use the advice of Norman Walker (vegan, raw foodist) and Ori Hofmekler (Warrior Diet).

I recommend the books http://www.amazon.com/Warrior-Diet-Ori-H...0938045350 and http://www.amazon.com/Diet-Salad-N-W-Walker/dp/0890190348/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1227648781&sr=1-4

Live active, be happy. Don't join the Atkins masochist brigade.

What a mean thing to say. The man (a Catholic) slipped on the ice and suffered a fatal head injury. Your agenda is showing.

Adoramus te, Christe, et benedicimus tibi, quia per sanctam crucem tuam redemisti mundum.
I have no tips or hints or personal experience, but my daughter dropped weight on Atkins, and has kept it off successfully so far. She is in great health and great shape... of course she also goes to the gym a few times a week. 

- Lisa

Here is another resource I have found. It is very good as it shows the nuances of pH, metabolism, and diet. There are some levels in between people like me who cannot eat very many carbs and remain healthy, and La Roza who eschews meat altogether and does fine (I assume) without it.

http://hauserdiet.com/

The only thing I find iffy about this site is that they have soy sprinkled in here and there. Don't touch that stuff. It is full of estrogen mimickers and has many nasty health effects.

Quis, the best diet is going to be the one that works for you. I hope you're also going to exercise and that you'll be seeing your doctor first?

Regarding Atkins, I know lots of people including doctors who've been on it and have lost weight. What it does is open your eyes to how many calories are in the things like condiments, prepared foods, etc. For most people losing weight is easier than keeping it off, which is particularly difficult with Atkins, people tell me. Lots lose it with Atkins then move to South Beach or Zone for maintenance.

I once got really huge and lost weight doing the Ornish diet, which is like the Anti-Atkins. I'm transitioning to a mostly raw food diet now, and it's hard because all I want is yummy, greasy carbs...I dream of the Indian Buffet. [Image: laff.gif] Like Adoramus said, different things work for different people. Let us know how you do!
AdoramusTeChriste Wrote:What a mean thing to say. The man (a Catholic) slipped on the ice and suffered a fatal head injury. Your agenda is showing.

What is mean? I don't have an agenda. I am a vegan, but do not care what other people eat (and my post reflected that, if one is going to eat anything, meat or vegetable, eat it in the most natural state possible.).

The Atkins diet was very popular for a time. Yes, it "works", however, it is not sustainable except in rare instances. A good lifestyle, not random rules of what to eat and what not to eat, is what is important.

For an active life, the Atkins diet is a big fail. For an inactive life, barring medical problems, the lifestyle should be changed, not the diet to support the lifestyle. Be more active. The only time an athlete will do anything like an Atkins diet is to slim out to the extreme, and they sacrifice strength and stamina to do it. It is a diet that will work for 6 weeks.
Weston A. Price diet. www.westonaprice.org

Stay off the soy!!!!!! And white powders!
LaRoza Wrote:
AdoramusTeChriste Wrote:What a mean thing to say. The man (a Catholic) slipped on the ice and suffered a fatal head injury. Your agenda is showing.

What is mean?

This:

Quote:A quick look at Atkins himself should tell you it is not an ideal diet.

Unless you care to offer an explanation, that is just plain mean as it stands. Dr. Atkins (a renowned cardiologist!) was in very good health before his accident.

Btw, I know very few people who can keep up with me. I have two part time jobs, I carry a full load of college classes, I have 8 kids- 3 boys, ages 12 and under still at home. I also have two grandkids living here, ages 1 and 3. My house is a bi-level which means I get tons of exercise just doing part of the laundry. I also teach a pre-school age catechism class. I walk the dog, dance with the parrot, and get my very best carbs from Guinness. I could go on, but hopefully you get the idea.