Losing weight on Atkins
Hey LaRoza, maybe you should include that you're a vegan in your signature, that way you won't have to mention it in every post! [Image: jestera.gif]

See, fish eaters??  We vegans aren't above good natured ribbing!
frerejacques Wrote:Hey LaRoza, maybe you should include that you're a vegan in your signature, that way you won't have to mention it in every post!

Well, I only mentioned it in the first post, but didn't even advocate the lifestyle. It was others who said I shouldn't be trusted because I'm a vegan, or attributed my dislike for the Atkins diet to being a vegan. I should have never mentioned it, so they'd have listened instead of discrediting what I said because of an unrelated fact.

Quote:See, fish eaters??  We vegans aren't above good natured ribbing!

No ribs. I'm a vegan.
LaRoza Wrote:
Paloma Wrote:You can't trust a vegans advice on Atkins anyway ;)

I wasn't always a vegan, and I studied various diets and lifestyles before being a vegan.

You can't trust people's opinions on veganism if they aren't vegans ;)

Oh but I wasn't always an omnivore. I'm a recovering vegan :)
Thanks for all the input, guys! :)

Many moons ago, I used to be really athletic (wrestling).  Then post-college set in and all the exercise went out the window...

The no-pasta thing is probably going to kill me, too, also being Italian.   The thing about 50 years ago, though, was people got a lot more exercise in general.  Carbs are great for people who have an active lifestyle, especially if they're doing manual labor or don't own a car.  They suck for people like me who sit in front of a keyboard all day and don't have a chance to burn them before they go into the fat store.

I've read through a bunch of diet plans, including Atkins, and his really seems to make the most sense.  I'm not sure why it wouldn't be maintainable for the average person.  An athletic type would be in bad shape without carbs to burn, but I'm not athletic.  If I were to do more than moderate exercise, I could always recalibrate the amount of carbs I need to maintain my weight.

For exercise I've got an eliptical and a Polar heart-rate watch, plus a 12 and 8 year old who are wrestling now and use dad as their practice dummy ;)  I also got one of those scales that measures body fat and water content (yeah, I know they aren't 100% accurate, but they'll give me a general idea at home).  So, I don't have any excuses not to exercise except laziness. 

I'm going to go ahead and make an appt with the doc soon to get a blood draw and tell him I'm going to start Atkins.  So far my blood draws have been good - last one had a little high cholesterol (doc has me pounding fish oil for that), but I know they'll just get worse if I don't do something now.

LaRoza Wrote:
frerejacques Wrote:Hey LaRoza, maybe you should include that you're a vegan in your signature, that way you won't have to mention it in every post!

Well, I only mentioned it in the first post, but didn't even advocate the lifestyle. It was others who said I shouldn't be trusted because I'm a vegan, or attributed my dislike for the Atkins diet to being a vegan. I should have never mentioned it, so they'd have listened instead of discrediting what I said because of an unrelated fact.

Quote:See, fish eaters??  We vegans aren't above good natured ribbing!

No ribs. I'm a vegan.

Trust me, we aaaaaaaall know you are vegan. :laughing:

I was just teasing anyway because I know how much PETA and vegans reviled the Atkins diet. You can't ask a teetotaler what their favorite mixed drink is. I didn't mean to offend.

Quis - Let us know how it goes. I'm always curious how different people fare on Atkins.
Two old men sitting on a park bench. First old man says, 'My wife and I went on the Atkins Diet'. Second old man, 'How much did you lose?' First old man, 'At the price of meat today? Our life savings!'
Paloma Wrote:Trust me, we aaaaaaaall know you are vegan. :laughing:
It was a pun with the "ribbing" line.

Quote:I was just teasing anyway because I know how much PETA and vegans reviled the Atkins diet. You can't ask a teetotaler what their favorite mixed drink is. I didn't mean to offend.
I didn't know about that. I formed my opinion of the Atkins diet before I was a vegan (interestingly, I was a big meat eater at the time.).

My mother lost 100 lbs in little over a year on WEIGHT WATCHERS(but she says you have to attend the weekly hourly meetings). To me it's the only one that makes sense. Atkins is bad. Your body needs carbs. Weight Watchers is all about portion control. My mom did Atkins for a while, lost some weight and put it back on again. She's kept it off with Weight Watchers. Once she had lost a decent amount and regained some of her energy, she started joining exercise classes for one or two hours a week.
To LaRoza:

Vegan? How do you even eat? Isn't it terribly inconvenient?
didishroom Wrote:To LaRoza:

Vegan? How do you even eat? Isn't it terribly inconvenient?

Please, don't talk about eating...

We had a funeral yesterday for my grandfather, and I thought the restaurant we were going to was just going to have a small bite to eat after. I was wrong... It was a very Italian restaurant with a mandatory four course meal. I was stuffed on the second course (after the appetizers, we had a "salad". The kind I order for a meal when I normally go out. But bigger.) Then, after stuffing us with their very good appetizers, then a wonderful salad, we got pasta (with cheese on the side). Then, we got our meals... The menu didn't contain any vegan foods, so the waiter/cook made me something else, which was very good.

I was so stuffed from vegan food in an Italian restaurant, I felt like I couldn't eat for the rest of the week.

So, that is me eating out. I had no problems.

Now, my everday food is even easier, as I do my own shopping and food preparations. There is plenty to eat out there, without getting to the animals (this is one reason I am a vegan. Because it is possible and eating animals isn't needed with what I have available).