Losing weight on Atkins
Mhoram Wrote:
katoliko Wrote:you need carbs, healthy carbs that is.
For what, exactly?
Why, to hold the sauerkraut on the bratwurst, of course. :)

I could never do Atkins.  I'd rather be fat.
WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:
Mhoram Wrote:
katoliko Wrote:you need carbs, healthy carbs that is.
For what, exactly?
Why, to hold the sauerkraut on the bratwurst, of course. :)

I could never do Atkins.  I'd rather be fat.

I actually LOVED the low-carb diet. For a while anyway.

I remember, in the beginning, going out for dinner and ordering a huge caesar salad with anchovies, a 16 oz prime rib, and broccoli with butter. The next morning I weighed myself and I was 3 lbs lighter than the day before. I thought I had died and gone to heaven.

Then the weight loss slows down and you start asking yourself, "Again, why can't I have tortillas/rice/french toast??? This is BS!!!"

I actually ate healthier doing the low-carb thing because it made me replace empty calories with lots and lots of vegetables. I was the salad queen. I still order my burgers "protein-style."

Atkins is a pretty good diet for quick weight loss, but it can be really hard to maintain. A more sensible approach would probably be the South Beach diet for long term maintenance.

One caution; if you are pre-diabetic or have a history of diabetes in your family, or if you drink more than moderately, talk to your doctor even before you start the induction phase- the Atkins diet can cause or accelerate ketoacedosis in some people with these conditions, which can cause kidney failure and damage to the rest of your organs.

I have been very, very busy, but I wanted to respond to a couple of points.
LaRoza Wrote:
AdoramusTeChriste Wrote:]

I have noticed that trainers tend to cop on to a pet theory and deride everything else. I used a trainer once and gained weight due to carb-loading. Worst thing I could've done. Also, all my kids are athletically inclined, so I have had the opportunity to watch their trainers argue about their favorite eating plans. :laughing: It is exactly like watching prots argue about the best version of the bible.

I'm not like that. I don't have a pet theory. My measuring rod is if it is logical and sustainable.

You are ignoring the fact, as Sancta Maria pointed out, that Atkins ends up as a very balanced eating plan.

LR Wrote:
me Wrote:But if you have a fast metabolism then you are setting yourself up for a host of long term illnesses, including obesity, by eliminating fats and proteins in favor of carbs.
I think you meant slow metabolism?

Nope. People with slow metabolism do just fine with a high carb diet or vegetarianism.

Fast metabolizers need protein or they cannot function well. The sugars in carbs break down too quickly, leading to an insulin spike. I thought I already explained that.

LR Wrote:
me Wrote:For some people, the only healthy carbs are the the non-starchy, low sugar variety.
I'm not sure what you mean by "healthy" carbs. There is no such thing.

Well, help yourself to a twinkie then. I'll stick with bean sprouts. Or Guinness- it's good for you!

LR Wrote:
me Wrote:I am one of those people. For example, if I eat fruit I crash about 20 minutes later.
Wouldn't it depend on what type of fruit ;)

Nope. I do make an exception for berries when they are in season. :)

LR Wrote:Also, eating it with other food would prevent that, barring medical problems.

Yes and no. Fruit and other high sugar carbs are terrible for some of us, no matter what else we eat with it, yet eating them with high quality protein (meat!) does lessen the effects of fruit alone. But, if you have a fast metabolism and you are eating sugary carbs you will pack on the pounds, which is the problem in the first place. One can't lose weight if they continue to eat as they already do.

LR Wrote:You just need to eat more foods with lower glycemic indices. However, most people aren't like that (if what you said is accurate) and it hardly justifies the Atkins diet itself.

ROFL! That is what Dr. Atkins had to say about it, too!

LR Wrote:
me Wrote:In my physiology class the professor explained to us why the Atkins diet works well and can be used safely for life. No offense, but unless you can produce your doctorate in health sciences, I am going to side with my instructor. I studied the citric acid cycle and I am on board. [Image: waytogo.gif] Aced the class, too.

The citric acid cycle? There are more metabolic processes than that, and I have studied such things ;) but I won't argue them.

I look to actual people for my information. The studies from the field, so to speak, have never indicated the Atkins diet to be more than a proximation of a few points.
[/QUOTE]

The citric acid cycle is the one I mentioned because it pertains to food and digestion. I can assure you that my physiology prof is an actual person. Also, studies can be biased. It helps to find out who funded a study before buying into the conclusions.

So, where is that doctorate of yours?
S.A.G. ~ Kathy ~ Sanguine-choleric. Have fun...or else.

Adoramus te, Christe, et benedicimus tibi, quia per sanctam crucem tuam redemisti mundum.
Paloma Wrote:You can't trust a vegans advice on Atkins anyway ;)

The only danger I've heard of from the low carb high protein diets is that for some (there's a statistic that I can't remember) it can actually advance heart disease. There has been some lawsuits. For many it lowers cholesterol and all that good stuff, but for a rare few it actually raised it. I would consult your doctor and get regular tests. My mom worked in a hospital and while she did atkins, she self-tested herself regularly. Her HDL levels actually got even higher while here LDL level got much lower.

I didn't do Atkins, but I did do the Suzanne Somers diet, which I LOVED. Its similar to Atkins in that it is essentially a low (or reduced) carb and high protein diet. I was eating prime rib, cheeseburgers, and salami but I couldn't keep the weight on. I lost 30 lbs the first month and it seemed like over night that I had nothing to wear. I remember going to work and having to hold my pants up as walked to the fax machine. My boss told me, "Okay. I think you need to buy new clothes at this point." Embarrassing.

The Suzanne Somers diet is what I recommend because you can still have fruit from the beginning and carb meals with the stipulation that the meal has to be whole grain, no sugar, and without added fat. I ate fruit under the guidelines and I allowed myself one of these carb meals a day - usually a bowl of oatmeal at breakfast.

Suzanne Somers used to make some great natural products for the diet (works well with Atkins too) and I imagine she still does. I loved her veggie chips and her condiments. Her sugar free thousand island dressing was awesome on cheeseburgers.

As for tips. Stay away from the "candy" while you are still losing the weight. The Atkins and Suzanne Somers candy would make my mom and I plateau. Also, you can overdo it. Every time I ate a bag of pork rinds, my weight loss would stop.

Also, from almost everyone I've talked to. You only get one shot at radical weight loss with the low carb diet. When I've tried to go back on it, the weight didn't come off so fast. I think if you do it, shoot for as much weightloss as possible and then modify it and shoot for portion control for maintenance.

I don't think a strict low carb, high protein, high fat diet is the greatest meal plan for long term use.

I have a friend who is doing the Suzanne Sommers plan. She really likes it and looks great!

Adoramus te, Christe, et benedicimus tibi, quia per sanctam crucem tuam redemisti mundum.
QuisUtDeus Wrote:Thanks for all the input, guys! :)

Many moons ago, I used to be really athletic (wrestling).  Then post-college set in and all the exercise went out the window...

The no-pasta thing is probably going to kill me, too, also being Italian.   The thing about 50 years ago, though, was people got a lot more exercise in general.  Carbs are great for people who have an active lifestyle, especially if they're doing manual labor or don't own a car.  They suck for people like me who sit in front of a keyboard all day and don't have a chance to burn them before they go into the fat store.

I've read through a bunch of diet plans, including Atkins, and his really seems to make the most sense.  I'm not sure why it wouldn't be maintainable for the average person.  An athletic type would be in bad shape without carbs to burn, but I'm not athletic.  If I were to do more than moderate exercise, I could always recalibrate the amount of carbs I need to maintain my weight.

For exercise I've got an eliptical and a Polar heart-rate watch, plus a 12 and 8 year old who are wrestling now and use dad as their practice dummy ;)  I also got one of those scales that measures body fat and water content (yeah, I know they aren't 100% accurate, but they'll give me a general idea at home).  So, I don't have any excuses not to exercise except laziness. 

I'm going to go ahead and make an appt with the doc soon to get a blood draw and tell him I'm going to start Atkins.  So far my blood draws have been good - last one had a little high cholesterol (doc has me pounding fish oil for that), but I know they'll just get worse if I don't do something now.

Quis, try using zucchini in place of pasta when everyone is having spaghetti. Give yourself some extra meatwads. And black olives. Those are a great low-carb snack. [Image: gimmefood.gif]

AdoramusTeChriste Wrote:Well, help yourself to a twinkie then. I'll stick with bean sprouts. Or Guinness- it's good for you!
I meant that a carb is a carb. It is all in the packaging.

Quote:Nope. I do make an exception for berries when they are in season. :)

Yes and no. Fruit and other high sugar carbs are terrible for some of us, no matter what else we eat with it, yet eating them with high quality protein (meat!) does lessen the effects of fruit alone. But, if you have a fast metabolism and you are eating sugary carbs you will pack on the pounds, which is the problem in the first place. One can't lose weight if they continue to eat as they already do.
I love berries as well. I've been eating chickpeas (raw) by the handful, they are quite good (I'd venture to say they are better than meat ;)) I also sometimes eat just grapes or other fruits (this is for snacks). I've never had a problem with either.

Quote:ROFL! That is what Dr. Atkins had to say about it, too!
Yes, he did. But I don't recommend one doing the "Atkins Diet" to live like that. A vegan can follow the basic idea just as easily as anyone else, but a vegan couldn't do it with Dr. Atkins writings (assuming the book by him that I read was typical of his advice).

Quote:The citric acid cycle is the one I mentioned because it pertains to food and digestion. I can assure you that my physiology prof is an actual person. Also, studies can be biased. It helps to find out who funded a study before buying into the conclusions.

So, where is that doctorate of yours?

I do not trust doctors. No offense to those of you here who have such degrees, but a doctor is a person like any other.

I can cite doctors who support my opinions, and those who don't support my opinions. I can cite doctors who say abortion increases the risk of mental illness, and I can cite doctors who say it doesn't. I can cite doctors who kill people for a living, and I can cite doctors who save lives.

In this area, there are no clear answers. I've already acknowledged certain climates make an Atkins like diet standard (like the Innuit).
We can agree on that; I don't trust doctors either.

Quote:I do make an exception for berries when they are in season.
Berries are great for low-carbers.  A whole cup of strawberries only has 10g of carbs and is chock full of bioflavonoids, antioxidants, and other goodies.  A half-cup of berries covered with fresh cream...it doesn't get much better than that.  When berries are in season, I eat loads of them.

There are a lot of misconceptions about low-carbing, thanks to idiots like Dean Ornish claiming it's nothing but "bacon and brie," and also people getting hung up on the limited number of foods on Atkins's Induction list.  Thing is, that list only counts if you're A) doing Atkins and not one of the many other low-carb plans, and B) you're in the first two weeks.  After that, you can eat anything that fits within your daily carb limit, which will be somewhere between 25 and 100g a day, depending on your plan and your level of insulin resistance.  But media types never seem to get past that Induction list.

The whole point of limiting your food choices very tightly during that first two weeks of Atkins is to break the cycle of blood sugar spikes and drops and the food cravings and mood changes that go with that.  He outlaws a lot of foods (like fruit) that aren't necessarily too high in carbs to have a little of, but are very high-glycemic (like most fruit) or common food intolerances (like grain).  Eliminating those things for two short weeks helps shorten the initial withdrawals, which can be nasty.

About the only fruits I never eat are bananas and citrus fruits.  They're too high in sugar to have more than a bite, and they were never my favorites anyway.  A bowl of berries or melon, a half an apple, some cherries with cream cheese: those are all doable on my 30g/day.

Follow up...

My doc (he's an osteopath, not an MD - I like DO's better) put the kybosh on Atkins.  His problem is that it doesn't differentiate between the types of fats, etc. one is allowed to have (though Atkins version 2 does better he says).  And he knows I will happily eat a 48oz steak with a side of pork chops for dinner if I have an excuse.  Sigh.

His recommendations for me in my specific situation based on type of diet were:

Low-carb: South Beach
Pre-made food: Nutrisystems
Healthiest: eat a Mediterranean diet

And 30 minutes of exercise 6 days per week no matter what diet.

So, I think I'm going to try to eat a Mediterranean diet (I'm Sicilian after all, and that diet was originally found in Southern Italy, so fate calls).

One of the biggest reasons I'm going this way is because Vox won't have to cook different for everyone since even the kids and she can eat it and be healthy without losing weight (none of them need to).  To lose weight I'll have to skip a bunch of the extras in life like cakes, etc. and be a bit hungry, but oh well.

I'll give it like six months and if I don't lose much or get stuck then I'll probably try South Beach.

I'll post about how it's going from time to time in case anyone's curious.  I'm going to start it on Sunday if all goes as planned.

QuisUtDeus Wrote:br>So, I think I'm going to try to eat a Mediterranean diet (I'm Sicilian after all, and that diet was originally found in Southern Italy, so fate calls).

One of the biggest reasons I'm going this way is because Vox won't have to cook different for everyone since even the kids and she can eat it and be healthy without losing weight (none of them need to).  To lose weight I'll have to skip a bunch of the extras in life like cakes, etc. and be a bit hungry, but oh well.

I'll give it like six months and if I don't lose much or get stuck then I'll probably try South Beach.

I'll post about how it's going from time to time in case anyone's curious.  I'm going to start it on Sunday if all goes as planned.

Good luck. I just had some Italian bread with homemade (by me) bruschetta so if you are going to be doing it Mediterranean style, you are probably going to be happy.