Losing weight on Atkins
Thanks for all the input!

I'm going to get the book Jenn recommends (thanks, sis!) and read up on South Beach.  So far the Mediterranean diet has been off to a rocky start...

I'm definitely not hungry at all and the food tastes good, but I have to jog the menu for the other four people in the house which may prove a larger obstacle than my appetite.

I think eating in the cafeteria at work is a big problem.  Over the holiday break most people gain weight.  I lost 5 pounds, and I was eating cake and all kinds of stuff - the only difference was time off from work.

Maybe I should just eat more cake...
AdoramusTeChriste Wrote:Here is another resource I have found. It is very good as it shows the nuances of pH, metabolism, and diet. There are some levels in between people like me who cannot eat very many carbs and remain healthy, and La Roza who eschews meat altogether and does fine (I assume) without it.

http://hauserdiet.com/

The only thing I find iffy about this site is that they have soy sprinkled in here and there. Don't touch that stuff. It is full of estrogen mimickers and has many nasty health effects.

:( What else am I supposed to eat during Lent? Chickpeas can only go so far!

I googled "soy, health" just now, and didn't get a lot of positive information, except from vendors. :/ Does anybody want to second Mrs. Adoramus's soy warning?
Orville would. ;)

I've been eating all kinds of legumes.  Black beans, white beans, kidney beans, etc.  There are other sources of protein than soy.  And I eat soy, but in moderation - it's not a staple of my diet.  I don't eat soy burgers or tofurkey or that stuff (which tastes like crap in my opinion).

And you can have meat during Lent, just not during certain times.

My basic diet consists of:

Fish once a week
Red meat once a week
Legume-based once a week

The rest of the week I just pick and choose.  Some nights it's vegetarian (like fried eggplant with sauce) other nights I'll have fish again, etc.

So, I'm only eating red meat once a week anyhow.

BTW, I've lost over 10 pounds on my diet so far.  Slowly, but on the other hand I'm not hungry at all either.
Oh, hooray on your success! I'm not fasting for Lent, I've just given up a few things, including meat and cheese, so things are getting a little dull (it's been awhile since I've flexed my vegan-muscles, and even then I can't claim I was the greatest cook).
If tofu was definitely healthy, I would eat a ton of it. I love the texture, it's filling, and it's versatile.
I never ate soy based foods despite being a vegan.

For lent, I just eat much less or not at all for days of fasting.

Congrats Quis on your success. The most important part of losing weight on a diet (besides being healthy) is reducing calories.
ONeill Wrote:I never ate soy based foods despite being a vegan.

For lent, I just eat much less or not at all for days of fasting.

Congrats Quis on your success. The most important part of losing weight on a diet (besides being healthy) is reducing calories.

Hmm. Is this because of your agreement with the above conclusion about the unhealthiness thereof? What do you eat, typically?
When I was a vegetarian, I did the rice and beans thing often enough, but I couldn't go back to that long-term. I like Western dishes, with fresh bread, and marinated protein-goodness presented as a seperate dish.
shirhamalot Wrote:Hmm. Is this because of your agreement with the above conclusion about the unhealthiness thereof? What do you eat, typically?
No, I just never tried it. I don't think about it.

Quote:When I was a vegetarian, I did the rice and beans thing often enough, but I couldn't go back to that long-term. I like Western dishes, with fresh bread, and marinated protein-goodness presented as a seperate dish.

I eat rice and beans sometimes, but I mostly stick to fruits and vegetables.
ONeill Wrote:
shirhamalot Wrote:Hmm. Is this because of your agreement with the above conclusion about the unhealthiness thereof? What do you eat, typically?
No, I just never tried it. I don't think about it.

Quote:When I was a vegetarian, I did the rice and beans thing often enough, but I couldn't go back to that long-term. I like Western dishes, with fresh bread, and marinated protein-goodness presented as a seperate dish.

I eat rice and beans sometimes, but I mostly stick to fruits and vegetables.

Haha ahh! I respect you, but how do you live? I would have endless cramps if I tried to eat that way. You must survive on grace alone.
Quis Wrote:I've been eating all kinds of legumes.  Black beans, white beans, kidney beans, etc. 

Poor, poor Vox [Image: fartingsmiley.gif]

Spooky Wrote:
Quis Wrote:I've been eating all kinds of legumes.  Black beans, white beans, kidney beans, etc. 

Poor, poor Vox [Image: fartingsmiley.gif]

You're back! I hope you are well.