Would you text a girl out?
WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:Don't expect too much from 19 year old men.  Just sayin'.

-5 sir!

I'm the king of asking girls out. Being 19 hasn't stopped me. If you weren't married I'd come down to Kansas and teach you a thing or two, old man!

Audrey, I think if you're asked out via text and you're interested in the guy, that you should still go out with him, but when you're on the actual date, call the guy out on it. Be assertive and put him on his toes. It should be a good gauge of what he's made of.

In the meantime, I hope you find a gentleman worthy of the name. Don't worry, there's still solidly Catholic guys out there who aren't completely socially awkward nuts. [We're just a hard lot to find!]
I'm 21, not 19 but I think there is a fine line between being brave enough to ask women out and being overly zealous or creepy.  I don't just go around asking random cute Catholic girls out.  While it might be nice it also comes off as sort of desperate and not very personal.  Dating or courting has to be a gradual, natural thing.  There is something to be said for chivalry and sweeping a girl off her feet, but it appears to me that most women (at least modern women) do not intend to be swept off their feet by one grand move from a man that they barely know.  Subtly has always been my style.

That being said, I think it is really weird to ask people out with a text message.  It does seem rather wimpy.  If you can't ask them out face to face, and only then, ask them out over the phone at least.
neel Wrote:
WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:Don't expect too much from 19 year old men.  Just sayin'.

-5 sir!

I'm the king of asking girls out. Being 19 hasn't stopped me. If you weren't married I'd come down to Kansas and teach you a thing or two, old man!

Audrey, I think if you're asked out via text and you're interested in the guy, that you should still go out with him, but when you're on the actual date, call the guy out on it. Be assertive and put him on his toes. It should be a good gauge of what he's made of.

In the meantime, I hope you find a gentleman worthy of the name. Don't worry, there's still solidly Catholic guys out there who aren't completely socially awkward nuts. [We're just a hard lot to find!]

Intellectual honesty increased in this thread by 5 points. 
     then
Intellectual honesty decreased in this thread by 5 points.
neel Wrote:In the meantime, I hope you find a gentleman worthy of the name. Don't worry, there's still solidly Catholic guys out there who aren't completely socially awkward nuts. [We're just a hard lot to find!]
Yeah, don't look at me.
Wimpy.  Women, being pretty much the greatest gift from God for man, deserve more than a text message.  It is our duty to pursue them, and if you aren't man enough to ask a girl to her face, you aren't man enough to have a girlfriend.  Personal oppinion. 

Besides, if done via email or text, there is that awkward "So she texted me saying we were dating... does that mean I get a bigger hug now or what... blast she isn't looking at me, she didn't want to go out with me... oh wait, now she is coming over, maybe we are going out... So, I guess this means we are dating huh?"  And nobody wants that.

Phones are a last resort and only if there is genuine need of it, like living in different cities or something.  Otherwise man up and talk to the girl.
Maybe men who ask out via text messaging have had a bad experience of being rejected before. Sometimes girls are mean and cruel in their treatment of men who express interest in them.
I do it all the time!
Listen, I did a lot of stupid things when I was 19.  Especially when it came to girls.  And rum.

When I was a child, I spake as a child.

It gets better.  At least, it should.
I think DrBombay is texting his posts to Fisheaters.
AudreyMarie Wrote:Maybe men who ask out via text messaging have had a bad experience of being rejected before. Sometimes girls are mean and cruel in their treatment of men who express interest in them.

It doesn't really matter.  I maintain that if you care about a girl you should pursue her.  If you can't find the courage to talk to a girl about a relationship, how can you plan to have a relationship where talking is pretty important?  Also, what kind of good Catholic girl would wrip a man's heart out in a cruel way.  Rejection is part of life (I assume... heh heh heh) but I think the kind of girls that us try-to-be-good-catholic-guys want to go for are going to make it as painless as possible.  And if she wrips your heart out and does a whole "Augh, why would you ever think we could go out!?" thing, why would you want to continue to chase her anyways?