Cats Make You Crazy (esp. for Eric)
Eric! Can you believe this calumny?! From ABC.news:

Can Your Cat Make You Crazy?
One Researcher is Looking for a Connection Between Cats and Schizophrenia

Nov. 10, 2005

Dr. E. Fuller Torrey, president of the Stanley Medical Research Institute in Bethesda, Md., has been studying whether a parasite found in cat droppings called Toxoplasma gondii can trigger an onset of schizophrenia later in life.

"Most people have not thought of schizophrenia as being caused by a virus or bacteria or a parasite," Torrey said. "This is a relatively new idea."

It's long been established that the parasites found in cat droppings are a health risk to pregnant women and young children, but whether the cat can be directly linked to schizophrenia remains to be seen.

Torrey's study found a 53 percent increase in risk for schizophrenia if you owned a cat during childhood, but he also found a 51 percent increase in risk if you were breastfed. Statisticians believe the increase in risk has to be above 200 percent for there to be an actual association between something like owning a cat and schizophrenia.

Quote:Fools! It is not the contents of their catboxes that drive one mad; it's the mewing, the needle-toes in the flesh of your leg, the way they don't come when you call!

"We haven't proven anything," Torrey said. "Infectious agents, virus, etcetera really need to be looked at very carefully in these cases."

In the meantime, Torrey is still cautious of cats.

Quote:His loss!

"Personally I would not buy a kitten for a small child," he said. "I don't think we know enough to be able to say there's no risk."

Quote:Oh come on; you haven't studied tons of thins "enough to be able to say there's no risk." Perhaps we should avoid everything until it's been studied "enough."

ABC medical contributor Dr. Tim Johnson said he is skeptical of the study, but said there are diseases people can get from cats, the most serious being toxoplasmosis. Johnson said millions of people are affected with this parasite, but their immune system fights it off.

Johnson added, however, that pregnant women, women who are about to become pregnant and people with weakened immune systems, including those who are undergoing chemo or have AIDS, should avoid cats and cat litter.

Quote:
Eric, this means catboxes are on you if you ever get married. At least until your wife goes through "the change"! hahahaha

Anyway, I think this article is an outrage.
This is ridiculous [Image: laff.gif] I can only smile and laugh at the manifest stupidity of modern science! Vox, we should do without lightbulbs. I hear that if you have lightbulbs, there's been a study that says that you are almost 3000% more likely to burn your fingers when they are near a socket if there's a bulb in there. Just think... 200% - to 3000%!!!!! This is DANGEROUS!!! There HAS to be a correlation! Back to phosphorescent glowing rocks, everybody!

And Vox, MY cat comes when called. Always.

I don't understand it, because she is antisocial and lazy, but for whatever reason, like clockwork, if you yell "Frisky!" anywhere in the house, she'll come within forty-five seconds.
DominusTecum Wrote:This is ridiculous [Image: laff.gif] I can only smile and laugh at the manifest stupidity of modern science! Vox, we should do without lightbulbs. I hear that if you have lightbulbs, there's been a study that says that you are almost 3000% more likely to burn your fingers when they are near a socket if there's a bulb in there. Just think... 200% - to 3000%!!!!! This is DANGEROUS!!! There HAS to be a correlation! Back to phosphorescent glowing rocks, everybody!

You don't EVEN want to know what I've learned about dangers of dental floss, Eric. Seriously LOL

Quote:And Vox, MY cat comes when called. Always.

Yes, yes, yes, you've gloated before about your exceptionally talented kitty and have already made me exceedingly jealous! I wish Marta were like Frisky, but with her I have to pretend to want to feed her. I have a cat food can next to where I work, and I pick it up, click up on the pull tab so it sorta clicks without opening, and ask what I always ask before feeding her, "Marta, would you like some suppers?" (I don't know why I add the "S"). Anyway, it used to work consistently, but I think she has gotten wise.

Usually, though, I don't have to call her at all because she is most often with me, and not untypically ON me, on my shoulder.

Quote:
I don't understand it, because she is antisocial and lazy, but for whatever reason, like clockwork, if you yell "Frisky!" anywhere in the house, she'll come within forty-five seconds.

You are so lucky to have such a good kitty! I don't know what I did to deserve such a naughty one. I guess, to paraphrase Julie Andrews, "somewhere in my youth or childhood, I must've done something bad." Marta is so naughty that she even smacks at me (her own mother!) if I walk by her, with those little kitty right hooks coming from the side LOL. But then, she always makes up for her shortcomings, like when I am ready to sleep and I get in the sleep position, she does her little bunny hop over to me if she's not already on me, cuddles right next to my face, and stays with me allllllllllll night. And then she snores (I never knew cats did that 'til I got her, and I've had a lot of cats LOL She kills me...)