Guinea pig hailed as tasty choice
i'd eat almost anything if i was hungry enough i suppose, including a common sewer rat.  but good grief.   when u have perfectly tasty and socially acceptable flesh meats available....no thanks.
I kinda think that's the point, Doc....they're either too poor to afford "socially acceptable fresh meats", or they don't have any avialable for them to consume; that's why the article is suggesting guinea pig as an alternative.
I'm pretty sure that in Peru, guinea pigs are socially acceptable meat.  At least, that's what the Travel Channel tells me-- and the Travel Channel wouldn't lie to me would it?
ErinIsNice Wrote:I'm pretty sure that in Peru, guinea pigs are socially acceptable meat.  At least, that's what the Travel Channel tells me-- and the Travel Channel wouldn't lie to me would it?
 From Wikipedia, Guinea pig as food
Wikipedia Wrote:
Peruvians consume an estimated 65 million guinea pigs each year, and the animal is so entrenched in the culture that one famous painting of the Last Supper in the main cathedral in Cusco shows Christ and the twelve disciples dining on guinea pig.
[Image: Dsc00099.jpg]
Didn't occur to me to look for a picture!
wolseley Wrote:I kinda think that's the point, Doc....they're either too poor to afford "socially acceptable fresh meats", or they don't have any avialable for them to consume; that's why the article is suggesting guinea pig as an alternative.

i know.  i meant why would anyone who lives in america (or america jr.) eat a guinea pig?  i've had people try to get me to try all sorts of nasty things.  squirrel, frog, rattlesnake, shark, lamb, duck.  no thanks.

i knew a priest from peru.  he had a kitty and the housekeeper hated it so she ended up killing the cat and serving it to him in chili.  which he didn't find out about until some months later.   not sure if cat is a socially acceptable flesh meat or not.  
Poor DrBombay, he thinks lamb is "nasty" and "weird".   Nothing better than a rack of lamb cooked medium rare. [Image: gimmefood.gif]
Oh come on. You are making me salivate.
DrBombay Wrote:i meant why would anyone who lives in america (or america jr.) eat a guinea pig? i've had people try to get me to try all sorts of nasty things. squirrel, frog, rattlesnake, shark, lamb, duck. no thanks.

So what kind of food DO you like? I want to know. And remember, vodka and disdain aren't food groups.

DrBombay Wrote:i knew a priest from peru.  he had a kitty and the housekeeper hated it so she ended up killing the cat and serving it to him in chili.  which he didn't find out about until some months later.   not sure if cat is a socially acceptable flesh meat or not.  

Every city has a sketchy chinese food place with rumors of "chicken chow meow."

But I draw the line at cat chili. I'm calling you on your BS.

ErinIsNice Wrote:Poor DrBombay, he thinks lamb is "nasty" and "weird". Nothing better than a rack of lamb cooked medium rare.

I agree. We had that Saturday night and I couldn't stop eating it. My mom had to shame me into quitting. :(

I'm also partial to les cuisses de grenouilles [Image: 128411-192151-kermit-the-frog_small.jpg]

I need to stop talking/thinking about food before I start craving things I can't get my mitts on right now.