Bad Dreams
Is regularly having bad dreams something to be concerned with? I thought the modern scientific consensus on dreams was that it was just random REM activity and that your mind creates dreams to cope with gibberish signals going on. What do you all think?  
i wouldn't give dreams a second thought, bad or good.

i told a psych doc one time that i never remember my dreams.  he told me it's cuz my sub conscious is hiding something from me.  and of course, he offered to help me find out what it was for only $145/hr.  ha.  i passed. if my sub conscious doesn't want me to know something, i figure i'm better off not knowing.

personally, i think it's all a bunch of nonsense.  just random synapses firing in ur brain.

I hardly ever remember my dreams. There are about 4 or 5 dreams that I have had that I remember going back many years to my childhood.

Interesting though, last night I had a dream I actually remember. I woke up in the middle of the night because it was so real.

I was in the middle of a field and around me were many snakes, large ones. Many were wounded or dead. One though was not and seemed to be lying in wait for me. I stepped on its head and reached down to cut it off when it pulled free and bit my hand. I had managed to cut through enough of its neck that it was mortally wounded but in the process I too had been struck. My wife appeared to treat my wounds and then I woke up.

Seriously, this dream just occurred only hours ago. The dreams I do remember are always bad. I had one other dream recently and it was bad too. Otherwise, I forget them the minute I open my eyes. First snake dream. Weird.
I had a dream last night that I toppled over a huge pine tree merely by pushing into it with a baby stroller. The tree came crashing down on someone's home. Oh, I was so glad when I woke that it was just a dream.

To answer your question, I don't know. I've heard that dreams are where we often find balance, so if you're having bad dreams, this could be because things are going well in your life right now.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
Sorry, Chrysostom, that didn't answer your question. It was just too surreal that I had one of 4 or 5 dreams that I remember in my whole life and when I turn on my computer there is your thread.

So I go out and google 'dream dreams'. One of the sites that comes up cites the second chapter of Joel. So I go to the Douay-Rheims on-line and read that Chapter. Very interesting reading. It talks about the coming of the Great and Terrible Day of the Lord.

Here is verse 28:
Quote:And it shall come to pass after this, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy: your old men shall dream dreams, and your young men shall see visions.

It is a very interesting chapter because at one point it says "sanctify the church." Anyway, no I don't have exactly the answer to your dream question. But there were other verses in the bible about dreams, Joseph in the old testament, St. Joseph, and others. I would certainly pray about it.

Yeah mine don't even really have a clear "story" or anything. It's just kinda random images/emotions etc.
Sorry you're having bad dreams. Often, I think they're related to anxiety, at least in my case. Also stimulant medications, as well as other substances, can cause vivid dreams that are disturbing, so be careful with those. I once used "the patch" and wore it through the night. Never again, the dreams were awful.
DrBombay Wrote:i wouldn't give dreams a second thought, bad or good.

i told a psych doc one time that i never remember my dreams.  he told me it's cuz my sub conscious is hiding something from me.  and of course, he offered to help me find out what it was for only $145/hr.  ha.  i passed. if my sub conscious doesn't want me to know something, i figure i'm better off not knowing.

personally, i think it's all a bunch of nonsense.  just random synapses firing in ur brain.

+1

Especially if it's related to REM.

Shiny happy people holding hands
Shiny happy people holding hands
Shiny happy people laughing

I think dreams can sometimes be important.  They are meaningful too often in the Bible for them to be always just random synapses firing.  Dreaming is your mind's way of processing what occurs while you're awake, "recharging" the mind if you will.  That's why if you have a night of broken sleep, you aren't as refreshed even if you do get 6-8 hours of sleep all together.

I usually do remember my dreams, but they're usually comical and not scary, and I can oftentimes relate the events in the dream pretty clearly to things in my waking life.  Ryan likes to ask me in the morning what my dreams were, so he can have a good laugh.  Other times they are more serious, however.  This is one of my most vivid and frightening dreams:

My family and I had gone out late one night, and we're driving home in our van. As we drive past our church, we see a family whom my parents knew trying to help an old woman with a walker and one of those yellow isolation hospital gowns into their car.  We decide to stop and see if they need our help, because it looks like they're struggling.  When we pull into the parking lot, however, the family is gone and my grandmother is standing there, wearing her fur coat.  Now my grandmother has been dead for two years, and the coat was something that she was always proud of owning even though she didn't wear it much.  We all know she is dead in the dream.  My family is afraid but I talk to her and even touch her; she feels warm and solid and I remember her coat was still soft.  We speak briefly but I don't remember what was said.  She seems sort of withdrawn from us, preoccupied.  I say, "I wish I knew you were happy in Heaven."  At the word "Heaven" she lets out this horrible howl, which scares me so badly I wake up.

Let's just say this dreams inspired many Rosaries for my grandmother's soul.

I think dreams are how our brains reboot themselves. We get bombarded with more information during our waking hours than we can deal with and I think dreams are a way of flipping through them. Like the other night, I had a dream about bats but earlier that day I had read a blurb in the newspaper about a lady who had to get rabies shots because she brewed her coffee with a bat inside the filter. I didn't think much of it but obviously it stuck with me and while I was sleeping, I had to decide whether or not to put it in the "keep" or "toss" pile. Important? No. But there you go.

On the other hand, I had some bad things happen when I was 18 and I suffered from some post traumatic stress as a result. My way of dealing with it was to not deal with it but I was plagued by extremely vivid nightmares nightly for 2 years. These dreams did have meaning because, in them, it was obvious who I blamed, how I felt about everyone involved and how I felt about my responsibility. Even though it was all in metaphor, it was easy to figure out. As I slowly got better, so did the dreams. I was actually somewhat grateful for them, because if I couldn't be honest with myself while awake, I apparently had trouble covering it up while I was asleep and I think it helped the healing process.

If nothing else, dreams might tell you how you really feel. Whether the issue is important or not.