Gluten-free bread.
Hello ladies (and gentlemen)!

I am calling on your skills yet again, confident that you will not disappoint.
An acquaintence of mine is allergic to gluten, and misses bread the most from his diet. He has purchased a bread-machine, and is satisfied with a recipe he's used, but I would like to be able to find a hand-made recipe for him also, if possible. Does anybody have experience with gluten-free bread? Does anybody want to share tips and/or recipes?

Thank you!
AB

This the site that I used to learn recently.

http://www.thesimpledollar.com/2007/11/0...you-think/

As to using Gluten free, I don't think it makes a difference in the properties of the type of flour. Each flour has a different absorption rate. So I think your friend could still stick to good old water, flour, salt and yeast.

This is what I do. I haven't mastered Whole Wheat, so I am currently sticking to White flour.

Mix in warmed up (let hot water sit in the bowl for a few minutes) bowl: Yeast (6-7oz or 1 packet) with warm water (1 cup). The warm water activates the Yeasties. Remember the Yeasties need warmth to stay active. Mix this together until all the Yeasties are dissolved in the water.

Next mix in melted butter (I think 1.5tlb, but hey its butter more the merry [Image: wink.gif]), 1tlb salt (for even cooking), 1/4 cup of milk (helps the bread last longer) and sugar/honey/molasses so the Yeasties have something to munch on and do their thing.

Next mix in 2 cups of flour, mix with big spoon or your hand.

Dump dough onto floured counter top and start doing the all important kneading. I was told to do this for 10-20 minutes, but I found this to be to long. Also the extra 1 cup of flour will get added at this point as you are kneading the dough. Keep the hands floured and keep the counter top floured and the dough will pick it up as you work it.

Next clean bowl and put kneaded dough into bowl for first 1 hour rising. Remember keep Yeasties warm and they will provide, so keep your home around 72 degrees or warmer. Also keep bowl covered with cloth towel.

Check on dough after an hour or longer if you want. Should of doubled in size, but not necessarily that much. Punch it down and remove from bowl back onto floured counter top. Knead a little and then roll out with the husband beater...I mean rolling pin into realtively flat rectangular shape. Then role up length wise. Tuck ends underneath along the seam. Place into loaf pan for second 1 hour rising. The second rising isn't that important, but supposedly the more rising time the better the flavor.

Next heat oven to 400 degrees and either spread milk or butter on top of the loaf to give it that good polished look. You can also add other things like cheese (if fresh cheese add later during baking time, trust me on that I have the loaves with burnt cheese top to prove it). Then place in oven to bake for 30 minutes. I find with my oven that 25 minutes is right.

So important things to remember keep you home warm, knead the dough (but over knead it nor under knead it, do just right, that will take making a few bricks and failures to get it right) and learn to adjust the amount of flour to the amount of liquid. Whole Wheat for example is more absorbant, than White flour.

Here seems to be a good site on working with gluten free flour.

http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/cookin...Basics.htm

I highly recommend Bob's Red Mill products.
I have celiac disease, and I think that Gluten Free Pantry's Favorite Sandwich bread mix is the best. Pamela's and Bob's Red Mill is good too.

It's not that much cheaper to buy the gazillion ingredients needed to make a loaf of bread from scratch than it is to buy the mixes. ...or I could just be lazy, probably, but gluten free baking can be tricky, and I don't want to take the time to experiment, so I rely mostly on mixes.