Female, 24, Ohio
CatholicChristian Wrote:
neel Wrote:
CatholicChristian Wrote:Top 5 Favorite books of all time: "Till We Have Faces" by CS Lewis, "Love & Responsibility" by Karol Wojtyla (Pope John Paul II), "Proslogion" by St. Anselm, "The Heresy of Formlessness" by Martin Mosebach, and the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy by JRR Tolkien

You liked the Proslogion? It made me want to blow my brains out. But then again, I'm not into that kind of philosophy.

Kudos for Till We Have Faces though.
I love the "Proslogion"! I nearly have the entire first chapter memorized-- it's a beautiful prayer! I think you should give it another chance... my favorite translation is the one by Thomas Williams; it's very poetic.

Oh, I'll agree that the first chapter is nice. I keep meaning to write down the opening prayer to use when I'm going to be doing some hardcore meditation / prayer.

I've given it a second chance. And a third. And a fourth. I actually wrote a paper on it last week analyzing the intertwining of prayer and argument in it and discussed its uniqueness as bridging the gap between monastic and scholastic theology.

I guess my problem is that I've read it so many times and still couldn't rehash St. Anselm's argument in a way that anyone would understand what I'm talking about.
(12-21-2008, 12:39 AM)CatholicChristian Wrote:
Catholicmilkman Wrote:
CatholicChristian Wrote:Pope John Paul II... while I did not agree with everything he did in his life, he was a brilliant mind, and his encyclical letter "Fides et Ratio" was heavily responsible for my reconversion to the Faith.
All you had to do was read the documents of Vatican I, on Faith and reason. What in particular did he say that the Council did not?
Blame the priest I spoke to for recommending "Fides et Ratio" instead of the decrees of Vatican I. I, at the time, had no knowledge of Councils or Papal documents and was simply following the recommendation of the priest whom I questioned about the Catholic faith.
eh, I'm a devout trad. Catholic who lives in West. Pa.  If you're in search of a spouse: I'm working on getting a history degree (I want to teach history at private school, preferably Catholickin' good school :pazzo:)I've got  a bit of humour, goofball-ness, a great love for all things history, and I despise heresy, *cough, cough, Protestantism, *cough, cough [not the people themselves though. As, I've got a good bit of proddie friends. :) ] I like the rosary and Divine mercy chaplet. I'm a Croat-American (with German, Italian and Polish as peripheral ethnicities)
I submit my candidacy for friendship here as well.
St. George, it's kinda creepy, that you're almost stalking me here in the tank!  Why are you following me!!?!!!! Tell me, why!?!!! :fish: :pazzo:
(12-20-2008, 08:51 PM)LaRoza Wrote:
CatholicChristian Wrote:Serious pet peeves: I hate courdoroy. If I marry you, be prepared to wash, dry, and hang your own courdoroy clothing and don't touch me while you're wearing it.

Hmm. I have attempted to get courdoroy clothing on several occasions, but each time my mother persuaded me not to. Sign from heaven?
What's wrong with courdoroy? It is a very masculine fabric.
I have a hatred for corduroy as well....... :realmad:
(12-29-2009, 12:49 AM)Ravenonthecross Wrote: St. George, it's kinda creepy, that you're almost stalking me here in the tank!  Why are you following me!!?!!!! Tell me, why!?!!! :fish: :pazzo:

Am I stalking you?  Or are you stalking me?

:-|
I've posted prior to every post in all these spouse-finding threads. It's rather creepy that you seem to be following me..............wait what's noise I hear.................hmmmmm?........... :pazzo:............ ???
You guys are weird.
(12-29-2009, 05:16 PM)Ravenonthecross Wrote: I've posted prior to every post in all these spouse-finding threads. It's rather creepy that you seem to be following me..............wait what's noise I hear.................hmmmmm?........... :pazzo:............ ???

brand new corduroy pants.

:tiphat: