Walnut allergy?
#1
Is there anyone here who is allergic to walnuts? I suspect Travis may be sensitive to them but not sure. I just made some cookies (chocolate chip/walnut) and after he ate one he experienced pain in the back of his throat. He says he got the same pain some time ago after eating a cookie my mom had made (not sure if those cookies contained walnuts). I'm not sure what exactly the symptoms are for nut allergies (other than the most obvious severe ones).
What say you?

Reply
#2
Spooky Wrote:Is there anyone here who is allergic to walnuts? I suspect Travis may be sensitive to them but not sure. I just made some cookies (chocolate chip/walnut) and after he ate one he experienced pain in the back of his throat. He says he got the same pain some time ago after eating a cookie my mom had made (not sure if those cookies contained walnuts). I'm not sure what exactly the symptoms are for nut allergies (other than the most obvious severe ones).
What say you?

I know someone who is allergic to all nuts (among other things). It is dangerous I think.

The symptoms probably vary (the worst being deadly). If you suspect such an allergy, please see a doctor to find out what it is exactly.
Reply
#3
Spooky Wrote:Is there anyone here who is allergic to walnuts? I suspect Travis may be sensitive to them but not sure. I just made some cookies (chocolate chip/walnut) and after he ate one he experienced pain in the back of his throat. He says he got the same pain some time ago after eating a cookie my mom had made (not sure if those cookies contained walnuts). I'm not sure what exactly the symptoms are for nut allergies (other than the most obvious severe ones).
What say you?

My friends with mild nut allergies usually describe an itch/numbness in their throat and mouth and stomach pains if they ate enough of it. They've described it (the oral symptoms) as uncomfortable but not painful. I would ask his doctor. It would be easy enough to do a scratch test. There is also other things in cookies, like eggs, that are common allergens.

I actually had a similar problem with Jack a week ago. My oldest and I were eating anchovies at dinner on our salads and Jack wanted one. So I gave him one, knowing he would spit it out instantly, which he did. But within a minute or two, he had bright red splotches around his mouth. Maybe it was the salt but I was thinking, though we eat a lot of seafood in our house, Jack usually won't take more than a bite of it. Now after the splotches, I'm scared for him to try any fish again. Looks like we'll be at the doctor's soon too. Sigh.

edited for clarification
Reply
#4
Interesting Paloma because now he's complaining of stomach ache...It's hard to pin it down exactly, you know how kids are. Pain is pain lol. He only ate about 1/2 the cookie...I'll definitely make a Drs appointment for him. He eats eggs fairly regularly so I can probably rule those out. I'll make sure he stays away from walnuts in the future. I have several allergies, mostly to to medications. James would get hives at daycare but his dad didn't pay much attention to the menu (so still don't know what caused the hives).
Reply
#5
Spooky Wrote:Interesting Paloma because now he's complaining of stomach ache...It's hard to pin it down exactly, you know how kids are. Pain is pain lol. He only ate about 1/2 the cookie...I'll definitely make a Drs appointment for him. He eats eggs fairly regularly so I can probably rule those out. I'll make sure he stays away from walnuts in the future. I have several allergies, mostly to to medications. James would get hives at daycare but his dad didn't pay much attention to the menu (so still don't know what caused the hives).

The majority of hive cases don't have a known cause. I would highly recommend avoiding nuts completely until you find out about them though.
Reply
#6
If he has a tree nut allergy it would only take a very small amount to cause a reaction.  Two of my kids are allergic to peanuts and tree nuts.  For them, eating a nut causes hives all over their bodies, itching, and vomiting. 

However, if a person is allergic to nuts, their reaction may worsen to anaphylactic shock at any time.  If your son ends up being diagnosed with a nut allergy, he should carry an epinephrine shot (the "epi-pen") with him.  My oldest has never needed his, but it's with him at school every day, and his teachers know it's there.
Reply
#7
ErinIsNice Wrote:For them, eating a nut causes hives all over their bodies, itching, and vomiting. 

I'd hate that (I love nuts). That also sounds like my reaction to pop music though.

Reply
#8
Oh no..... he's taking a bath and complained his stomach "itched" so I go in there and the trunk of his body is beet red, looks like he's got a sunburn. (arms and legs fine). Ay ay ay

Of course this happens when they cut my insurance....gonna call the doc, see if he wants me to take him to the ER.


ETA: nurse practitioner said if he starts having trouble breathing, then obviously take him to the ER but make an appointment with doc ASAP (which means tomorrow).
Reply
#9

ErinIsNice Wrote:If he has a tree nut allergy it would only take a very small amount to cause a reaction.  Two of my kids are allergic to peanuts and tree nuts.  For them, eating a nut causes hives all over their bodies, itching, and vomiting. 

However, if a person is allergic to nuts, their reaction may worsen to anaphylactic shock at any time.  If your son ends up being diagnosed with a nut allergy, he should carry an epinephrine shot (the "epi-pen") with him.  My oldest has never needed his, but it's with him at school every day, and his teachers know it's there.

Though a couple of my friends have relatively mild allergies to tree nuts, I know nuts in general can be a pretty severe allergy. They can even get worse and worse with each exposure. My friend's son was allergic to EVERYTHING and had to carry an epi-pen with him everywhere. I felt bad for him, because he had to bring his own food and cake to birthday parties and I could tell it bummed him out (even though I would try my darndest to make sure everything was allergen free - at least it lessened his chance of accidental exposure.) But when he was 5, they tested him again, hoping he had grown out of them and he did! Except for eggs. Still incredibly allergic to those.

One weird thing I found out though was that my friend has to give him peanut butter regularly now - at least once a week. Apparently it is a childhood allergy that you can outgrow but it can come back if you aren't exposed to it.
Reply
#10
Spooky Wrote:Oh no..... he's taking a bath and complained his stomach "itched" so I go in there and the trunk of his body is beet red, looks like he's got a sunburn. (arms and legs fine). Ay ay ay

Of course this happens when they cut my insurance....gonna call the doc, see if he wants me to take him to the ER.


ETA: nurse practitioner said if he starts having trouble breathing, then obviously take him to the ER but make an appointment with doc ASAP (which means tomorrow).

They cut your insurance? Yikes. Why? What about the bun in the oven?

I'm sure he'll be fine tonight. If he was going to have breathing problems, it would have come on by now. Let us know how it goes.
Reply




Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)