Do twinkies have an everlasting shelf life?
Jacafamala Wrote:
antimodernist Wrote:Twinkies are like many other things in life. They are fine in moderation.
Couldn't watch the clip. No sound?
Not too ling ago CNN ran a documentary on our terrible modern American diets. Yes, you guessed it: Twinkies are featured. Bad, bad, bad, the CNN "naysayers" say.

But anyway, the Twinkie people say that the shelf life is 'sposed to be a month. I know they last longer.

Still in all for the calories, one could do better.

Edited to add: The Twinkies you buy in the supermarket don't have eggs at all, although the original Twinkies did. Now-a-days, there are no real dairy products in Twinkies what-so-ever. Only shelf stable chemical ingrediants.

Um, actually...that's an urban legend.  [Image: afraidsmiley.gif]
DrBombay Wrote:Why would anyone want to make their own Twinkies when you can just buy them?  And what do you do with the egg yolks if a recipe just calls for egg whites?  Seems very wasteful. 

There are lots of sauces and desserts that call for egg yolks - hollandaise sauce and creme brulee are ones I can think of off the top of my head. The egg yolks can be frozen if necessary.

I don't usually get that fancy at casa de paloma but I do have a decrepit invalid dog that I have to cook for (he doesn't do dog food anymore) and he enjoys the leftover yolks.

He also enjoys twinkies.
DeiMateralma Wrote:
Jacafamala Wrote:
antimodernist Wrote:Twinkies are like many other things in life. They are fine in moderation.
Couldn't watch the clip. No sound?
Not too ling ago CNN ran a documentary on our terrible modern American diets. Yes, you guessed it: Twinkies are featured. Bad, bad, bad, the CNN "naysayers" say.

But anyway, the Twinkie people say that the shelf life is 'sposed to be a month. I know they last longer.

Still in all for the calories, one could do better.

Edited to add: The Twinkies you buy in the supermarket don't have eggs at all, although the original Twinkies did. Now-a-days, there are no real dairy products in Twinkies what-so-ever. Only shelf stable chemical ingrediants.

Um, actually...that's an urban legend.  [Image: afraidsmiley.gif]

Yeah, thats the spirit- lets all immediatly write off the Twinkies then run off and talk about how the Jews, Freemasons, the the One World Order are all coming to get us.
I hadn't had twinkies for years. Then last summer I went to a graduation party where they were served. I hated them. Nostalgia can play tricks on you.
I think the rumor of them lasting forever came about because when I was little (In the late 70's/early 80's...) the expiration/freshness date on the twinkie box would read like 20 years out! I remember in like 1980... they expired in 2001 or something.
I love twinkies.

- Lisa
StrictCatholicGirl Wrote:I love twinkies.

- Lisa

Who doesn't. They are actually quite heavenly.