Quitting smoking succesfully??????
If you've tried all the regular approaches - cold turkey, patches, gum, worry beads, gazing at your navel (lol - couldn't resist that one - I had a friend who actually tried doing that), you might want to speak with your doctor.  There are some great prescription medications out there that will help tremendously with quitting smoking (Zyban & Chantix).  That's the route I'm going because nothing has worked for me.  I still pray alot for deliverance from this addiction and need all the help I can get.
mike6240 Wrote:If you've tried all the regular approaches - cold turkey, patches, gum, worry beads, gazing at your navel (lol - couldn't resist that one - I had a friend who actually tried doing that), you might want to speak with your doctor.  There are some great prescription medications out there that will help tremendously with quitting smoking (Zyban & Chantix).  That's the route I'm going because nothing has worked for me.  I still pray alot for deliverance from this addiction and need all the help I can get.

A warning about Chantix. Before I got pregnant I tried Chantix, as my (then) bf was very successful using it. But it made me feel horrible, just awful. (You take it for 2 weeks before your quit date, so it wasn't nicotine withdrawal). I simply cannot describe what exactly it was that was bad. A general malaise I guess, but quite strong. I stopped taking it after a week.  His brother-in-law had a similar reaction to it, but it worked just fine for him. So be cautious.
I smoked for over 30 years, often as much as 3 packs per day before there were so many restrictions on when and where you could smoke. [Image: smokin.gif] Then I had a heart attack. Six weeks in hospital and another month in rehab gave me plenty of time to detox. I have two stents to keep the arteries open, and take 10pills per day to keep my blood pressure down. The situation was explained to me mathematically:

Cigarette=death[Image: mementomori.gif]

Needless to say I lost all desire to smoke.

Now beer, that's something else!

Spooky Wrote:
mike6240 Wrote:If you've tried all the regular approaches - cold turkey, patches, gum, worry beads, gazing at your navel (lol - couldn't resist that one - I had a friend who actually tried doing that), you might want to speak with your doctor.  There are some great prescription medications out there that will help tremendously with quitting smoking (Zyban & Chantix).  That's the route I'm going because nothing has worked for me.  I still pray alot for deliverance from this addiction and need all the help I can get.

A warning about Chantix. Before I got pregnant I tried Chantix, as my (then) bf was very successful using it. But it made me feel horrible, just awful. (You take it for 2 weeks before your quit date, so it wasn't nicotine withdrawal). I simply cannot describe what exactly it was that was bad. A general malaise I guess, but quite strong. I stopped taking it after a week.  His brother-in-law had a similar reaction to it, but it worked just fine for him. So be cautious.

Thanks for the info.  My doctor and I went over the possible side effects and I have taken them into consideration.  I, too, also recommend caution - talk with your doctor and read up all you can before taking any prescription med.  For me, I'll take the risk of the side effects.  Like I said, nothing has worked for me so far.
I've heard really good things about Zyban but last I checked, a lot of insurance companies won't pay for it. Makes absolutely no sense. This was a couple years ago so maybe it has changed since then.

I am a fortunate one.  I smoked at least two pack of cigarettes a day.  I would get up two or three times during the night to smoke.  I smoked my cigarettes down to the filter.  After light the cigarette never left my hand.  I would get stain fingers.  I tried everything to quick but I was so addicted. 
June 15th two and a half years ago I was fasting.  For some reason the fasting was paraticularly easy.  I said to our Lord that I want to offer up more because the fasting was too easy.  (I was fasting for a close friend of mine who has been in a bad way)  I said Lord I want to try to not smoke for forty days.  I asked him though if He would forgive me if I saved one cigarette for the morning and one for the evening of each of the forty days.  Some who I heard him tell me to toss the cigarettes and that I was not addicted to cigarettes anymore.  Well I through the cigarettes away and never felt another craving. 
People tell me that I am crazy and that the mind is a powerful thing.  Whatever. 
Not a day goes by where it does not hit me that I am no longer a smoker.  I never have cravings even when I am with people who are smoking. 
I never forget to give God thanks and praise for healing me of the addiction of cigarette smoking.
Not smoking cigarettes is very liberating.

Daniel

Good for you Daniel, that's a great story.

And the mind truly is a powerful thing, it is a beautiful creation, but it is nothing without the Creator. Since we are created in God's image, I believe our possiblities are endless and though nicotine is a powerful drug, it is nothing compared to God's grace in which we can overcome any obstacle.
alaric Wrote:Good for you Daniel, that's a great story.

And the mind truly is a powerful thing, it is a beautiful creation, but it is nothing without the Creator. Since we are created in God's image, I believe our possiblities are endless and though nicotine is a powerful drug, it is nothing compared to God's grace in which we can overcome any obstacle.

This is so true. My grandfather's story is similar to Daniel's: when he was in the navy a group of fellow officers 'dared' him to give up smoking that Lent. He said that rather than wait for Lent, he would stop that day and never touched a cigarette since! Some people's will is so strong, it is an amazing blessing. I smoke sometimes too (especially after a meal instead of coffee.. rather than caffeine I need nicotine [Image: shrug.gif]) but hearing these stories gives me hope.