Prayer and ADHD?
Gman Wrote:Let's take an Ave for example. I of course know the words by heart, too well in fact. To the point I can comfortably do anything while reciting it out loud or in my head. My main problem comes from am I paying with enough attention in the first place. As in, is my frame of mind right? Am I saying it with love, if so, enough? That sort of thing.

Right!  It's like the joke about smoking while praying or praying while smoking.

Someone posted several months ago asking about prayers for mundane things like washing your hands and stuff.  The post made me kind of mad because I saw it as someone trying to make profane something that was sacred, and he was actually trying to make sacred something that is profane.

If I pray the rosary while I work at my desk, am I really PRAYING the rosary, or am I just mindlessly mouthing the words while I work on my TPS reports?  For me, the answer was no.  I was profaning the sacred rather than making the profane sacred.
WRC Wrote:If I pray the rosary while I work at my desk, am I really PRAYING the rosary, or am I just mindlessly mouthing the words while I work on my TPS reports? For me, the answer was no. I was profaning the sacred rather than making the profane sacred.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I can't say a rosary while driving. I may be able to say short prayers and make some petitions but not a rosary. If someone can, more power to them but I don't see why a priest would say it's okay to do.

Gman Wrote:Yeah, I know what you mean. I can't say a rosary while driving. I may be able to say short prayers and make some petitions but not a rosary. If someone can, more power to them but I don't see why a priest would say it's okay to do.

I wouldn't recommend praying a rosary while operating a motor vehicle. Dangerous I think.

I do pray when walking though. Praying while walking is done in many places though, not something new.
Learning to pray well is probably supposed to be a lifelong process. But as concerns the rosary specifically, there are levels of proficiency, or accomplishment,or expertise...just as there are in reading. Many people never become great readers, which is sad; many also never get really fond of the rosary, either. They may never have realized that it is meditative; that is something that must be developed.

It is natural for the mind to wander at first. It will always distract you, if you are not purposeful and diligent. Ask our Blessed Mother to help you, and she will. Persevere. You must get past the stage where you have to stop and think about which mystery you're on, and past the stage where your mind wanders constantly. After a while, you are able to go very deep, very quickly. You may be focused and determined, and move right along (for example, when there's less time) or you may take an hour to do one set of mysteries. There is a real state called meditation that non-Christian religions have been selling people, for world peace and harmony, and to lower your anxiety and blood pressure...but the rosary has been meditative prayer, all along. You can pray deep, with the rosary. But you must be diligent and fight off distraction, continually if need be, until you make better progress. And then just keep it up.
my test result shows that I have ADHD.mental prayer is so hard for me that I abandoned it all together.I say my rosary while I am walking.I cannot practice the virtues of silence and solitude.
I have ADD and have had an awful time praying, so this is what I did: for the Rosary I use ADD friendly mediums, like videos and music (one that I made myself), or printed rosary prayers that can keep my attention. I will also listen to a chanting of the Litany of the Saints and that will keep my attention, though I don't know why that will and almost nothing else does. Other than that I stopped "trying" to pray any type of set prayer longer than an Ave, I just made a deal with myself to use short prayers all of the rest of my waking hours (My God and My All!) as I go through my day and for every reasonably important decision I make. For my examination of conscience I just say, Oh, Lord, did I screw up today! Let me count the ways... I also struggle through Mass every time, but I just snap out of it and go on, snap out of it and go on, snap out of it...you get the picture.

I'd like to encourage those with ADHD to continue their efforts to pray the rosary.  I cannot get through a decade without having my mind wander onto totally irrelevent things.  I have to keep catching myself and force my mind back to the mystery.  Though I am very poor at this, I believe the exercise helps to train my mind.  I have to do the same thing when I am trying to listen to someone.  Just like a physical exercise, mental exercise will improve your ability, so stick with it.  Most importantly, God will recognize and reward your persistence, for he is well aware of your limitations.
(01-20-2011, 05:04 PM)Mac Wrote: I'd like to encourage those with ADHD to continue their efforts to pray the rosary.  I cannot get through a decade without having my mind wander onto totally irrelevent things.  I have to keep catching myself and force my mind back to the mystery.  Though I am very poor at this, I believe the exercise helps to train my mind.  I have to do the same thing when I am trying to listen to someone.  Just like a physical exercise, mental exercise will improve your ability, so stick with it.  Most importantly, God will recognize and reward your persistence, for he is well aware of your limitations.

Welcome.

This is not specific to ADHD though. All people praying the rosary have this problem. It is human nature.
I pray while walking or doing a solitary task.  It's often the only time I feel I'm alone with God.