Muslims protest in my town
Quote:Originally Posted by rbjmartin
I think your response to the protest documented in the El Paso Times reveals something about your own prejudices.  Nowhere in the article did it say the protesters were Muslim, or even majority Muslim.  It only mentioned that they were Palestinian.  FYI, there are a great number of Palestinian Christians in this country.  In fact, of the several Palestinian-Americans I have met over the years, all of them were Christian.  Is it because they're brown that you assume they must be Muslim?  Because, you know, all those brown people are dangerous.

I keep on running into this anti-Muslim prejudice on this message board, and it's a bit disheartening to see Catholics behaving with such prejudice.  You don't have to like their religion or agree with it (I don't), but why can't you perceive them as human beings with the same aspirations as you?  They are not all bloodthirsty.  They are not all suicide bombers.  I've had several great Muslim friends in my life, and I still do.  How do you plan on evangelizing these people (which is your Christian duty) by forever holding them at arm's length and viewing them as a bunch of dangerous fanatics, unworthy of basic human rights?

Are you serious? wow...how do you assume that I'm prejudice from my post? and...did you see those pictures? they ARE Muslims...oh, yeah...and how do you assume that I'm not a minority myself? based on your "brown people" comment I conclude you are bitter and you think I'm...what? white? I have a Muslim friend...sweet girl, but I have yet to hear her openly condemn terrorism and the violence of those 'extremists'.  It's like she silently agrees with them.... I highly doubt your 'friends' have condemned them either.  And, she refuses to convert.  Will your friends convert?...hopefully, but I highly doubt it. Especially because the Koran says: "He who changes his religion, kill him."
They will tell you that Islam is a "religion of peace", yet the Koran says: 

"Slay them wherever you find them...Idolatry is worse than carnage...Fight against them until idolatry is no more and God's religion reigns supreme." (Surah 2:190-)

"Fighting is obligatory for you, much as you dislike it." (Surah 2:216)

"Believers, take neither Jews nor Christians for your friends." (Surah 5:51)

"Fight against such as those to whom the Scriptures were given [Jews and Christians]...until they pay tribute out of hand and are utterly subdued." (Surah 9:27-)

So yeah... sorry, I don't trust them and I am cautious when it comes to enemies of the Church.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that although SOME are "moderate", their religion  is dangerous and their aspirations are most probably very different than mine...

Oh yea, and FYI... I'm, what did you call it? Brown (talk about stereo typing from YOUR part...geez!)

Originally posted by Texican

Quote:That could be because the ones that we (I) have been exposed to, or at least the majority of them, are the bloodthirsty ones.  To be fair, they were't suicide bombers- they're fine calling for the death of the kafirs, and praising the actual bombers, as long as they, themselves don't have to do it... they have something important to do that day.  Like, breathing, for example.

Sorry, I'm just not very trusting. That doesn't mean that I consider them unworthy of basic human rights.  Well, at least until they try to harm my family or friends. 

EXACTLY!

The picture in the article showed three Palestinian men close up, yet the article mentions dozens.  Your assumption is that all Palestinians are Muslim, which is false.  You also assume that those who openly oppose the terrorism of the state of Israel must be Muslim, which is also false.  I would be firing rockets, bullets, arrows and anything else I could get my hands on too if a foreign army were committing genocidal acts against my countrymen.

The Koran quotes are nice.  I never said I agree with Islam.  But if you speak with and get to know many Muslims in this country, you'll find that they don't agree with many of the more extreme teachings of the Koran.  I guess that makes them bad Muslims, but that's how most American Muslims are.

I assume you are not a minority because you take on an attitude that I typically see among those who are prejudiced against those who are not like themselves in some way.  You are ignorant about Palestinians and Muslims in this country, yet you speak so firmly against them, which I consider rash and immature.
Quote:The picture in the article showed three Palestinian men close up, yet the article mentions dozens

I guess you fail to realize that the media has to be careful about what they say.  But, that just shows your ignorance.

Quote:Your assumption is that all Palestinians are Muslim, which is false. 

Please quote where I say that...and it shows YOUR ignorance on the population of my city.  My reasoning behind my original post was simply to point out that what was once unheard of in El Paso is now happening.  Nowhere did I imply Palestinians were all Muslims, but you apparently somehow have firsthand knowledge about the Palestinian population in my city and made your own assumptions.
To make things clear, all I talked about, were the people in the pictures and since I was not present during the protest can only comment on what was reported. 

Quote:I would be firing rockets, bullets, arrows and anything else I could get my hands on too if a foreign army were committing genocidal acts against my countrymen.

So would I, perhaps that's why Israel and Palestine have been in this conflict for such a long time....retribution, followed by  more retribution.  You seem to imply that there is only one victim in this conflict.

Quote:The Koran quotes are nice.  I never said I agree with Islam.

I guess you had no argument for that eh?

Quote:But if you speak with and get to know many Muslims in this country, you'll find that they don't agree with many of the more extreme teachings of the Koran

Then why are they Muslims?  Do you not agree with teachings of the Bible?  Is it selective?  Please...spare me.

Quote:I guess that makes them bad Muslims, but that's how most American Muslims are.

So.... you don't see THOSE Muslims protesting in the streets.

Quote:I assume you are not a minority because you take on an attitude that I typically see among those who are prejudiced against those who are not like themselves in some way.

That proves you wrong then...
I'm still puzzled as to why you are calling me prejudiced.  Because I posted a story? because I said that it was scary? I think it is scary to see the ramifications of a conflict occurring thousands of miles away playing out here in my own backyard.  By the way, before you assume someone is prejudiced, you should try to understand why statements are made.  Trust me I KNOW what it's like to be a minority.

Quote:You also assume that those who openly oppose the terrorism of the state of Israel must be Muslim, which is also false

I never said that...but if that makes you feel better about your little arguments...
I know there are other Palestinians who are opposed to acts that have been committed by Israel, but the fact remains that the Gaza strip is predominantly Muslim.  You might want to look up demographics in Palestine, and specifically in the Gaza strip before you make assertations again.

Quote:You are ignorant about Palestinians and Muslims in this country, yet you speak so firmly against them, which I consider rash and immature.

[Image: laff.gif] LOL how cute, you tickle me sir!
Please read the above...again.
You write that I'm rash and immature, yet here you are assuming what I know and what I don't know.  Maybe you should contact the CIA, FBI and the incoming administration, I'm sure they are in need of enlightened people such as yourself.

"If I haveth not charity, then I am nothing"
Thank you Rex
[Image: salute.gif]

Anyways, so far no activity here in Sac. even though there is a big Mohammedan centre. I used to go there when I was Muslim. Masjid Annur. There pissed about the Israel thing going on right now though.
Let's back up.  I don't see what is so scary about people protesting against actions that are clearly immoral.  It seems that it is scary to you because they are Arabs, but what difference does it make who is protesting when the protest is in the name of a worthy cause (protesting the murder of non-combatant men, women, children, and unborn)?  Would you find it scary if Muslims joined with us in the next March for Life?  Why or why not?
rbjmartin Wrote:Let's back up.  I don't see what is so scary about people protesting against actions that are clearly immoral.  It seems that it is scary to you because they are Arabs, but what difference does it make who is protesting when the protest is in the name of a worthy cause (protesting the murder of non-combatant men, women, children, and unborn)?  Would you find it scary if Muslims joined with us in the next March for Life?  Why or why not?

I believe that the original thread that inspired this one was about Mohammedans praying in front of the Milan cathedral.
That is correct Rex

This thread was not created to debate, but rather as an addition/comment to a previous thread.

The debate is over.