Bad burn from red hot chili peppers... REX?
Or anyone else. I made a spicy Asian cucumber sauce to go with dinner. Ack, me fingers are burning! I've had ice cubes on them for an hour or so. But they're still so hot. What's good for fixing that??
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
[Image: pointandlaff.gif]
Chili dissolves in fat so try washing them with olive oil.
Water won't help you at all. Milk will cool your tongue if you've eaten hot peppers, so maybe it also works on your fingers.
I'm sorry, that was a little mean of me. And you're so nice, so I feel bad.

The moral of your story? Don't cook Asian food if you're not Asian. :asianbow:

Rex_Tremendae Wrote:I'm sorry, that was a little mean of me. And you're so nice, so I feel bad.

The moral of your story? Don't cook Asian food if you're not Asian. :asianbow:

Oh, please. What are we white Americans supposed to do? Fix Campbell's soup for dinner every night?
Is it your fingers burning? That is very strange, I've never felt that unless I had a cut or something.
Rex_Tremendae Wrote:Is it your fingers burning? That is very strange, I've never felt that unless I had a cut or something.

Really?? I had it happen once.. and now use gloves whenever I chop chilies. Maybe there's a proper technique to it.
I've had this lots of times before.  Milk helps, but only while it's on your hands, covering your hands with cream cheese might do the trick.  I thought butter.. but no.  It's the casein in milk that helps to alleviate pepper burn, and there's less casein in higher fat dairy.
I used to have to grind hot cherry peppers into relish at a restaurant job, and when thre was a hole in the gloves it was a problem.  The owner swore by either Lestoil or smashing a whole, raw tomato in a bowl and soaking your fingers in it.  Both worked for me.  Good luck!