Bad burn from red hot chili peppers... REX?
miss_fluffy Wrote:
Jacafamala Wrote:I'm telling you two hours later and my left hand is still on fire. So far, I've used soap and ice, that's all. I'll try the milk, since there's no cream cheese in the house.

I'm a little afraid of putting oil on a burn, albeit a chili pepper burn.

Thank you all.
I feel your pain!!  Whatever you do.. DON'T TOUCH ANYWHERE NEAR YOUR EYE!!  I speak from experience.
I second that! Done it before, too. Oh, the horror!
Those must've been some really hot peppers!

I would try the oil.  Cold water may also work to soothe the burn. 

I third the warning about touching the eyes, nose, or any other sensitive area.

Funny story (to me, at least):

Some friends came over to my house one day.  We sat around, talking, since we hadn't seen each other in a while.
One said he was hungry, and asked if I had any snacks.  I told him that I didn't but I could make some chips and salsa, to which he replied, "that would be great"

The only peppers that I found, were 'chiles de arbol', alot like Thai peppers.
I toasted one on a griddle and then added some tomato, onion and garlic, to finish out the salsa.

I served it with the home-made corn chips and they tore into them like wild men.  As if on cue, they both stopped, looked at each other, then began guzzling their beer...  That one pepper had made that salsa so hot, I wouldn't even eat it!  I tell you, there wasn't enough beer, juice, or milk, for them to drink! 

Since I was still busy getting stuff from my kitchen, I hadn't even had a bite.
Needless to say, my eyes were filled with tears, although not because of the peppers- it was from watching their antics, as they tried ice cubes, and any drink I had around, to try to stop the heat in their mouths, to no avail.

Those were good times, although, not for them!

I hope you feel better, soon.

WhollyRoamin's right... again I post, and there's food involved! 

*sigh*

*again*

Speaking of homemade salsa, I also make it. I make pico de gallo as it is my favourite. I use three types of chiles for it. I do like spicy food a lot, so the first time I made it, I made it with equal amounts of chiles and tomatoes (in addition to the other ingrediants). My eyes were watering so much I couldn't watch the movie. I didn't do the frantic search for something soothing, as I loved it (although I couldn't see...).
LaRoza Wrote:My eyes were watering so much I couldn't watch the movie. I didn't do the frantic search for something soothing, as I loved it (although I couldn't see...).
I do that with horseradish. My sinuses hurt, my eyes are watering and my skin is burning anywhere it may have touched. It's soooo gooooood.
I decided not to try the salsa, since both guys loved hot, spicy foods, as do I.  Still, if they were hurting, well... momma didn't raise no fool! [Image: wink.gif]
Texican Wrote:I decided not to try the salsa, since both guys loved hot, spicy foods, as do I.  Still, if they were hurting, well... momma didn't raise no fool! [Image: wink.gif]

Coward.
Not a coward...  just smarter than the average bear! [Image: grouchosmiley.gif]

Besides, I was laughing so hard, I couldn't have eaten, even if I tried.

Oh, man!  Can you imagine that salsa coming out your nose?

*shudder*
Jacafamala Wrote:Or anyone else. I made a spicy Asian cucumber sauce to go with dinner. Ack, me fingers are burning! I've had ice cubes on them for an hour or so. But they're still so hot. What's good for fixing that??
:laughing:
Jacafamala Wrote:Or anyone else. I made a spicy Asian cucumber sauce to go with dinner. Ack, me fingers are burning! I've had ice cubes on them for an hour or so. But they're still so hot. What's good for fixing that??

[Image: beer-mug.jpg]
What kind of peppers were they? Just curious.

I read that capsaicin is alkaline so lemon juice (or any like acid) will neutralize the ph.