Martin Luther King, what's the big deal
Martin Luther King, besides writing a really good speech what did he do?  I don't mean to offend anyone with my lack of knowledge.  I have heard that he was a really great man but why.  What is the Catholic perspective of this man?
Pax
Daniel

kzarah Wrote:Martin Luther King, besides writing a really good speech what did he do?  I don't mean to offend anyone with my lack of knowledge.  I have heard that he was a really great man but why.  What is the Catholic perspective of this man?
Pax
Daniel

He was a civil rights leader. He preached love and peace and his methods worked mostly.

He was not Catholic, but God's mercy extends to those whom he desires.
I know he taught peace and love, so did the Beatles, and so does Oprah and Jeanine Garofalo.   Does God's mercy extend to the Beatles, are they in Heaven with Martin Luther King?
What makes him different from Oprah or the Beatles?  Should we close banks on Oprah's birthday because she taught peace and love. 
Daniel

I think Martin Luther King, at least his general principles and what he fought for, are an example of good liberalism.

He fought for equal rights and treatment of African Americans in this country and if that's not Catholic I don't know what is.  The Catholic Church is the Universal Church and Christ called Jews and Gentiles.  Therefore, what Martin Luther King called for, which I believe was true equality, was so very Christ-like. 

Now, PC and the victimization of African Americans, the unequal distribution of rights, affirmative action etc.... it appears to me that King would not have gone for these things, but I could be wrong. 

kzarah Wrote:I know he taught peace and love, so did the Beatles, and so does Oprah.   Does God's mercy extend to the Beatles, are they in Heaven with Martin Luther King?
What makes him different from Oprah or the Beatles?
Daniel

good point

It's a pity he was given such an unfortunate name..
kzarah Wrote:I know he taught peace and love, so did the Beatles, and so does Oprah.   Does God's mercy extend to the Beatles, are they in Heaven with Martin Luther King?
What makes him different from Oprah or the Beatles?
Daniel

He didn't do it because it was popular, he devoted his life and freedom to it.

The Beatles taught hippiness. Oprah teaches rich people talk nice to make money.

He did a lot. Read about him. And yes, God's love and mercy extends to all.
LaRoza Wrote:He was a civil rights leader. He preached love and peace and his methods worked mostly.

He was not Catholic, but God's mercy extends to those whom he desires.

I agree..! MLK Jr. was also an amazing spokesman for his cause (the Pro Life Movement could use such a charismatic leader to rally round). The name of Martin Luther King Jr. is synonymous with civil rights.. and it was a good thing for our country. I was there and I remember the days when Blacks could not sit in the front of the bus. And that was the least of their problems! 

- Lisa
And he preached against sodomy, so he will probably be replaced by Obama Day soon enough.
kzarah Wrote:Does God's mercy extend to the Beatles
Yes.

Quote:are they in Heaven with Martin Luther King?

God only knows.

Quote:What makes him different from Oprah or the Beatles?

He championed a good cause. There was serious injustice against Negros in this country, and he fought against it. Oprah or the Beatles are just New Age narcissists.

Quote:Should we close banks on Oprah's birthday because she taught peace and love.

No, nor am I particularly sold on giving MLK a day either. That King has a day dedicated to himself seems more like a political move than anything else. Even to this day those who voted against MLK Day are browbeaten as racists in by those who did. While he championed a laudable cause and did much to further it's success, there are enough questions concerning his academic credentials, connections to communists and womanizing ways to reconsider such a national honor.

In the United States, seeing that Jesus Christ is the only other person to merit a day when the government shuts down (Washington and Lincoln were out the window long ago), I question the pure motives of those politicians who supported MLK Day. They were chiefly looking to get the minority vote by doing so.

Melita Wrote:It's a pity he was given such an unfortunate name.

MLKs real name was Michael King.